PDA

View Full Version : budgie health

B1n
06-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone, I don't have a sick budgie but I wanted to ask some questions about budgie health.

Because of how cheap budgies are, alot of pet owners won't take or cant take their budgie to the vet, but then one day their bird is all fluffed up, and sleeping alot. Then, it dies. Look up sick budgie on YouTube and read the comments.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
I don't want this to happen to me, how can I prevent my budgie from ever getting sick? Humid or dry air, stuff like that.

Also, if one day this were to happen to me, how can I fix it? What steps can you take? Are there medications I can use from a pet shop?
I just want to be prepared, so that if my budgie is sick, I can stay calm, because I know how to make it feel better, and know that it won't die.
Thanks everyone for your knowledge!

B1n
06-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Also, how do you get your parrot enough iodine to avoid thyroid problems? Is there a supplement?

Cedardave
06-14-2016, 02:50 AM
A good quality pelleted diet along with fruits and vegitables is a good way to keep your bird healthy and hopefully avoid health issues.Reasonably comfortable humidity for you will be acceptable for your bird...too dry isnt particularly good for them.A vet check is always a good idea...you wont find medications that will do you any good at a petstore.An inexpensive budgie is no less important than any other companion...its not a matter of price as they are living creatures.The unfortunate thing about the mass production of some of the less costly birds is they can often become inbred just to make a quick dollar.No living creature should ever be considered disposable.Good luck...you have come to the right place for some great insights.

lolsavannahh
06-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Just giving an annual vet visit is usually good, as well as a healthy balanced diet! I took Nash to the vet 2 weeks after I got him, to let him settle in, and I am going to be going the same time this year as well, since it has been a full year ( next week ) that I have taken him to the vet. If he had shown signs of illness I would have taken him sooner.
Like Dave said, pellets and veggies/fruits are a good start to keeping your budgie happy! There are many good pellet brands out there, do some research and you can find which one will be best for your fid.
You many have to serve up the veggies in weird ways so your bird will eat them... don't expect them to eat it right away when you shove it in the cage. For Nash, I have to cook them, then let them cool to room temp and cut them very small and put them in a separate bowl along with millet. He will not eat it any other way :P
If you think calcium is a problem you can give them a cuttlebone in the cage, and they will eat it as they need it.. They will usually never overeat it.. but if given the appropriate diet, most captive parrots do not need a second source. I still offer Nash some once a week in a bowl, and he sometimes takes a bit on his tongue, but then decides he doesn't want any more.

infoaboutparrots
03-27-2021, 12:43 PM
To maintain your pet’s charm you must provide it with a regular diet. You can feed them common vegetables and fruits that humans can digest as their digestion is not that different. To make it easier i have prepared a separate list of fruits and vegetable which veterinarian recommend to parakeets owner:
FRUITS :
● Apples
● Mangoes
● Watermelon
● Tomatoes
● Banana
● Kiwi
● Avocado
● Pineapple
● Lemon
● Strawberry
● Tangerine