PDA

View Full Version : The importance of a few tricks :)

ConureCrazy
04-13-2013, 04:20 AM
Just want to throw out that trick training is a VERY good way to keep you fid's big personality stimulated! All parrots are very smart, and not just tricky foraging toys can test their brains. Teaching tricks makes them think, is very good for bonding (changed Oliver's personality dramatically), and keeps them occupied. And what is cuter than a parrot waving? :p Although YOU might not feel it important to teach your bird how to, say, spin in a circle or nod on cue, it benefits them and their minds immensely.

At first, try very simple tricks, like turning in a circle. (If your fid is not catching on well, try just a 180*!) Next maybe advance to a wave, then maybe fetch! Test your fid's abilities! :) There are many good websites and videos to help you get started, I also highly recommend using a clicker (found in you pet store's dog section).

Wendy K.
04-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Terrific post, Yasmin!! :)

Honesty
04-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Thankyou for posting this Yasmin:)

ConureCrazy
04-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Wendy K.
04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Now Yasmin, if you know HOW to teach any tricks, PLEASE post them. :) I am the first to admit that yes, my birds do a few things on command, but not nearly enough. For example: The moment Ziva (one of my dogs) starts barking, Niko tells her to "SHUT UP." [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Now Hunter sing the Jiggly Puff on command, and Sam will happily chime in...but that's about as far as my trick training goes. :(

ConureCrazy
04-14-2013, 01:18 AM
It's somewhat straight forward (unless your fid is a stubborn little guy, AKA Bella :p)

I believe the easiest trick, IMHO, is a turn. That's what I started with. I just took my finger and PRETENDED to have a treat in my hand. (Press index and thumb together.) I would lead them around in a circle, with your hand making a halo around their head. As soon as they got it, click your clicker. DON'T click 30 seconds after or something, or your bird will have no idea why it earned a treat. You want to make it clear that the turn is rewarding. After click, give the treat!

After a few times, or until they are 100% always following 'the treat', don't pretend any more. Just use your index finger to make the 'halo' around their head. Usually it's a pretty smooth transition, however, Bella decided then to just do half turns. I would give her a quarter if the treat for a half turn, a whole treat for a whole turn. After about 3 more 2-5 minute training sessions she caught on.

After several more successful training sessions, add a verbal cue along to the physical cue. For example, use your finger and say 'Turn'. :p THEN after several more successful session using both cues, just drop off the physical cue. You know have a parrot that turns at the cue if a word! :D

More to come, in the next post! This one is just really long. :p

Wendy K.
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
BEAUTIFULLY explained!!! Thank you SO much!!! :D

ConureCrazy
04-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Now the next post, haha!

I went with the nod next. Now, this one was slightly easy to make into a trick because they 'nod' as soon as they want something.

First step-Make that pretend treat hand again. :) Second- Start above your bird and move you hand down, then up, then down, etc. until they have nodded.3- Click as soon as they have! 4-Award treat.

After several successful training sessions using that fake treat hand, just use your index finger (the same transition as in the last trick).

Just like the turn trick, add a verbal cue along with the physical cue after several training sessions of just using the physical cue. After a few successful sessions using both cues, drop off the physical cue. :)

ALSO-As in any trick, if your bird does not comprehend the transition from one step to another, go back a step and teach it a bit more. :)

Wendy K.
04-15-2013, 12:37 AM
WOHOOOOO!!!! Fantastic, Yasmin!!!! I'm loving it!!! :D

ConureCrazy
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Thank you! :) A LOT of videos on YouTube and also Jamieleigh's Parrot Help (a blog, she's so helpful) and dozens of other places. :)

Dulphinz
05-03-2013, 08:55 PM
We've had our eclectus for about 2 months...is it too soon to try tricks? He was 6 months when we got him from a pet store.

ConureCrazy
05-04-2013, 06:04 AM
We've had our eclectus for about 2 months...is it too soon to try tricks? He was 6 months when we got him from a pet store.

I'd say it all depends on his behavior with you. If he's stepping up fine, playing around, go for it! If he's still a bit apprehensive around you, then get him 100%-ish able to step up and hang out with you, then step it up with trick training. :)

JadeC
05-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I'd say even a shy parrot could benefit from trick training. If he is a bit weary of you, then you can do clicker training for other things not involving your hands being near him. Say he's in his cage and he nods at you, you can do the clicker and give a verbal command then treat him. Works the same way, and it might make the bird think twice about you being the "bad guy." You are the one that gives him goodies!!