PDA

View Full Version : Metal band

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 02:31 AM
My conure has a metal band which I'm wondering if I should remove? My budgies had them when I first got them but they were plastic so I cut them off rite away.
However, she has just stopped plucking a few months ago, and my concern is that taking it off her leg would bother her emotionally and cause her to pluck because she's so used to having it there.
She never picks at it or touches it, and it would be easy to remove because she's real good about stuff like that. I trimmed her nails easily, so I know she's allow it.
It's just ugly and dirty-looking. If it were gold, maybe, but it looks like cheap aluminum.

JadeC
05-16-2013, 04:16 AM
That's to identify the bird. Most breeders put that band on them or if they're wild caught, they'll put one on. Is that what you're talking about?

keepsmiling
05-16-2013, 08:54 AM
That is for the breeders purpose. Some people do write them down and keep them on. I personally have them all removed. Do NOT attempt this by yourself. Have a vet remove it if you choose to. It takes two people, one to hold the bird, the other to use a large cutter to break through the metal. They do not slide off. They have to be cut, one slip and goodbye leg. I have them removed as they can get caught in toys and whatever. Yuna has just one foot, so I really wanted the stupid band off her that was too big anyway. I have never heard of a bird being upset because it was removed. I would think it is more of a relief to get the stupid thing off.

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Oh yes believe me it takes 2 people! :). Even for my budgies it took 2 people.
Bands are just unnatural and I don't care for them. I'm most likely going to take her to the avian groomer nearby, she said she has the right tools for it. Doesn't seem worth a vet visit, she just saw the vet a few weeks ago for her checkup. (Clean bill of health).

roxynoodle
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Just please be careful that the groomer has the experience to do it :) I have tools that would do it, too, but I'd much rather the vet did it.

Two of my birds have their bands and I haven't had a band accident but don't doubt it could happen. I've been on the fence about keeping or removing them. They are a way to identify your bird if it's lost or stolen.

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Those bands would be more useful if they had a computer chip with all their information (medical, behavioral, everything) than just a band.

JadeC
05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, but a band is better than nothing. If my bird was stolen/lost, I'd be thankful for the band... If it doesn't bother the bird, why not leave it on? It's like a collar.

roxynoodle
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, I've been reading about the microchips and it seems different readers pick up different chips :( So you can microchip your animal but if the vet/pound/etc doesn't have the same kind of reader it may not show up. You would think there would be some kind of standard on this.

So I think of the band as being like having a tag on your dog or cat.

buddingtwigs
05-16-2013, 07:08 PM
i had Georgie microchipped (she was never banded) and i was going to have Gilbert's band removed and have him also microchipped (in NJ you are supposed to have a way to identify your bird, and it is included in the application for the permit to own the bird). Gil's band is actually a really pretty stainless bangle, LOL. i know that sounds like a dumb description, but it is a high quality band and is not at all bad looking and doesn't seem to bother him. I decided to just leave it on him.
My canary is wearing THREE bands. I never did remove them. I almost feel bad that i didn't because it seems a bit excessive, but again, they never bother him and he's been wearing them since 2006.

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 11:56 PM
At least Gil's band is pretty, Nikkas looks like it came out of a junkyard, it looks so ancient, and she's only just turned four. I really wish they made them in gold, not only because it would look awesome, but the chances of skin irritation is eliminated.
It makes her look like a prison bird!

Animalman2046
05-18-2013, 11:51 PM
I have a rescued crimson bellied conure who got his leg caught in his cage bars because of his leg band and as a result he broke his leg. The original owner did not have it treated or the band removed. I got him 2 months later and the leg has healed grossly wrong and non-functional as a result. I had the band removed within a few days of getting him by my avian vet. His leg could not be surgically repaired due to it being broken in 2-3 places. I am opposed to leg bands because of the possibility of injuries. It doesn't happen often but the possibility is always there that it can happen. You can keep the band information on their vet records in the event you need it in the future.

Kalidasa
05-19-2013, 12:04 AM
It's already gone. :)

Minamommy
04-12-2014, 07:57 PM
The vet took off my birds band for safety and then gave me the band at her first vet appointment.