PDA

View Full Version : First baby picture..

Mare
05-27-2016, 03:19 AM
I'm sorry it's not very clear but it's all I've got for now :). Jellybean is hissing at me, all fluffed up..p***ed off at the intrusion. Jelly has lost all but one tail feather. I'm not sure if she's molting or if it's a nesting thing..she still flys well but looks a little rough :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The Pinkertons
05-27-2016, 03:47 AM
AWW, how cute. what happened with the 3rd egg?

kendrafitz
05-27-2016, 10:51 AM
OMG, they are so cute!! I see the egg under Jellybean. I'm sorry about her tail feathers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mare
05-27-2016, 01:52 PM
They are SOO ugly, they're cute! :). I just braved it out and picked them up to give them a check over. They are such fat little bundles! I'll pull them again, after they've been fed, to get a proper pic of them.

I pulled out the other egg so's I could shine a bright light through it. It was clear, a dud :( so I tossed it. I'm happy that we have two healthy looking babies and the way they are growing, Jellybean and Chip are kept busy keeping just THEM fed!

PlaxMacaws
05-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Nah, not ugly... sweet and helpless. Congrats on the expansion of your family, Mare :)

The Pinkertons
05-27-2016, 06:35 PM
How exciting , Your lucky Chip and jellybean are good parents being this is their first clutch.

Maddy
05-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Oh my goodness! Precious babies! <3

Are you going to keep them?

Mare
05-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Hi, Maddy! I plan on keeping at least one but will probably end up with two :). The parents aren't tame, I plan on starting to hand feed these guys between 2-3weeks old..I want them to be friendly birds :).

I hope you and your crew are all doing well! Give us an update when you get the chance, I would love to hear!

wingman
05-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Very wonderful! !!!

Mare
05-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Charlie!! Don't leave yet! I have questions for you :). I PM'd you!

I got some adorable photos this morning. They are around eight days old and their eyes are starting to open...I'm just waiting for my photobucket to relax :(. Hoping it's before the're grown!

Maddy
05-28-2016, 01:08 AM
Hi, Maddy! I plan on keeping at least one but will probably end up with two :). The parents aren't tame, I plan on starting to hand feed these guys between 2-3weeks old..I want them to be friendly birds :).

I hope you and your crew are all doing well! Give us an update when you get the chance, I would love to hear!

That is great! I hope we get to see pictures of them growing up! :D

I will post an update on my flock in a bit! :)

Cedardave
05-28-2016, 02:54 AM
simply adorable...

Mare
05-28-2016, 03:04 AM
Dave! Breeder of birds!! I have questions for you if you are willing..?..

Cedardave
05-28-2016, 03:22 AM
for sure...how can I help you

Mare
05-28-2016, 03:50 AM
Ok, thanks! :). I've been in touch with Charlie and he made me feel very comfortable with how things are going but I have some specific questions...

Do you mix formula with the food that the parents are feeding the young..if intending to pull them at two-three weeks to home grow?

When do you start holding/handling them. Do you wait till they are pulled from the nest?

Should I separate Jellybean and Chip after taking the babies from the nest? I don't want any more mating going on.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Mare
05-28-2016, 04:02 AM
WHOOHOO! Photobucket released! This is the first time I held one of the babies :). They are way more precious than my cockatoos! :). That says a lot!!

The Pinkertons
05-28-2016, 04:32 AM
WHOOHOO! Photobucket released! This is the first time I held one of the babies :). They are way more precious than my cockatoos! :). That says a lot!!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] to cute to sweet

Penny
05-28-2016, 12:22 PM
So adorable!!

kendrafitz
05-28-2016, 12:29 PM
I love the little smiley face and cute feather butt!!

Cedardave
05-28-2016, 02:14 PM
We always mix formula with the parents food when they are feeding.It makes it an easier transition when you pull them and begin hand feeding.
We never handle the babies before we pull them as some bird species will stomp the babies once they are returned..Eclectus in particular.
More babies are a for sure unless you separate them.It seems that once they have done it successfully once they will continue until your house is full of little feathered ones.
If you do separate them you may still end up with eggs being layed...they will just be duds.She will tend to them and eventually give up and walk away..you then remove them.

Mare
05-28-2016, 04:39 PM
I love the little smiley face and cute feather butt!!

Kendra, the first baby was hatched while I was down south visiting my dad. I remember Tim telling me on the phone, there is a yellow baby in the nest, I told him there's no way..they should be pink because they have no feathers when they hatch, right?! Wrong!..they have the yellow fuzz on their backs :)

Mare
05-28-2016, 04:43 PM
We always mix formula with the parents food when they are feeding.It makes it an easier transition when you pull them and begin hand feeding.
We never handle the babies before we pull them as some bird species will stomp the babies once they are returned..Eclectus in particular.
More babies are a for sure unless you separate them.It seems that once they have done it successfully once they will continue until your house is full of little feathered ones.
If you do separate them you may still end up with eggs being layed...they will just be duds.She will tend to them and eventually give up and walk away..you then remove them.

Thank you, Dave! That helps me a lot! :). Thankfully Jelly and Chip didn't have a problem with me touching them, except with the taking them out of the box part!

kendrafitz
05-28-2016, 04:54 PM
That is so funny and cute! I had no idea they were born with fuzzy butts!

Lady
05-28-2016, 08:35 PM
ohhhhhh how cute!!!!!!!

Soon it will be naming time :).

PlaxMacaws
05-29-2016, 02:15 AM
What a cute little fuzzball :D

Mare
05-29-2016, 04:09 AM
Here is the other pic I took on that same day..

I think I'm falling in love with these goofy little monkeys :)

Lady
05-30-2016, 01:37 AM
Seems to me it would be easy to do Mare :)~

Mare
05-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Yesterday morning, when I checked in on the chicks with Jellybean..one was dead. It broke my heart to have to pull the little one...whew..still hard to talk/type about :(. There was nothing I could see wrong with the precious little body..no sign of parental abuse, I don't know why..

I thought about pulling the one that's left but after further thought,,Chip and Jelly are doing a MUCH better job than I think I could do at this age. I'm just so unsure of what to do next :'(

PlaxMacaws
05-30-2016, 10:48 PM
Mare: That's terribly sad news... I'm so sorry. It's possible there was something not quite right physically with the little one. If so, there would have been no way for you to know and perhaps nothing anyone could have done for such a fragile little being. Sometimes tragedies like this are simply happenstance :'( :heart:

Mare
05-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Thank you, Tony...that makes me feel better :). The one that died, I believe to be the first hatched..it was the bigger of the two and it seemed the stronger and more vocal, also. The one that is left is staying strong, so far. I'm torn between checking in on them often (because it's upsetting to the parents when I lift the lid) or just once a day. I know when they feed and can also hear the baby chirping. I figure that this one that's left won't be two weeks before June 3.

I'm sure I could pull the chick now but I just want to do what's best for the baby..it's scary not knowing.

Penny
05-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Sometimes there are things we just cannot see, and baby birds are pretty fragile for the first little bit. As I understand it, they have almost no immune system for a few weeks and are susceptible to stress reactions, not to mention internal issues. A bird, or a person for that matter, can seem big and healthy and still have a defect in a heart valve or a liver that stops working right through nobody's fault. You are an attentive and caring parront, and I think you should give yourself kudos for that~

Mare
05-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Thank you, Penny.. I appreciate that. The baby that's left is getting big and vocal! When I got home from some work I had in town, I checked in and BOTH parents were out of the nest! I thought.."ohh, noo" :(. I checked and he/she was all perky and looking good! I picked him/her up and the crop was full,,this makes me a happy person! :)

wingman
05-31-2016, 11:49 PM
So sorry about the one that did not make it is hard!! I had to do that a few times but it is fast to give a burial at sea and go back to watch the one that is going to make it. It helps me....

Mare
06-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Thanks, Charlie :). The little one is doing pretty darn good. The parents are still being attentive and feeding herm, so for now, all is well!

mdg1109
06-03-2016, 01:04 AM
YAY congratulations on your new arrivals, I agree so ugly they are cute! :woohoo-dancing-bana:awesome-smiley-emot