PDA

View Full Version : Plucked BG??

Greenwing
05-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Well as some know a few month ago I adopted a plucked BG..She hasn't plucked since I have had her..(I shower her everyday now..and she spends 10-12 hrs out of her cage.) . But I have noticed her feathers still look ratty...

I have question since most of her feathers are damage from her snapping pieces off not pulling them out completely.. Will those feathers drop off quicker since there damaged or will they have to wait until they normally molt...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

roxynoodle
05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty sure they won't molt until the normal time for them to come out.

Hopefully your new baby won't pluck again in his new home, but if he does, please don't blame yourself (this is harder than it sounds). Thank you for taking him in and giving him a new start!

Greenwing
05-15-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't know why I keep referring to her as a him... I changed it in the above post..... I guess she will look a mess for a while.. Since 50% of her feathers are broken ...the others are molting...

keepsmiling
05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Yes, just love her.:th_heart: Thanks for giving her a home.

jtbirds
05-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Greenwing you know my baby girl very well(you've seen many pictures correct?) her feathers are horrible they are literally sticks, I've had her for about a year and she just molted and she has gotten probably 50% better but still plucks she has some chest feathers a few less stick like wings and tails and overall fuzzier, but it is nothing like what she could be. Plucking is so hard to stop as it just gets imprinted in them, maybe three years down the road baby will be partial feathered as will yours, but it can always flare up and then they pluck themselves again.

The biggest thing she is happy, even though she may continue to pluck she is happy as she has ever been and that means a lot, I've said t before, but again thanks so much for giving her a home!

Blancaej
05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Owning a plucked bird takes a lot of time and patience. It is so wonderful of you to take her in. I'm sure she will be a wonderful companion plucked or not. I have my fingers crossed that she will get better. Good luck!

jtbirds
05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Owning a plucked bird takes a lot of time and patience. It is so wonderful of you to take her in. I'm sure she will be a wonderful companion plucked or not. I have my fingers crossed that she will get better. Good luck!

I've found plucked birds are easier going then a fully feathered pampered baby someone gave up, my pluckers are so laid back and just willing to do anything to get love it is amazing, id own a house full of pluckers just because they are so appreciative of everything!:)

Blancaej
05-16-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm not surprised at all by that! :) I think pluckers have been through a lot. So when they do find a caring owner/companion, they thrive and are loving companions themselves. It's amazing what a little TLC will do! My reference to time and patience was for the time and patience for the feathers to grow back, if they do at all. And I'm sure that most bird owners that owns a picking bird, would love to see them stop picking. But no matter what, will always love there feathered or not so feathered friends. :)

ShellyBorg
05-16-2013, 12:45 AM
I have a friend who proudly takes there plucked CAG everywhere. She even made some hoodies and sweaters for him. He is a love and wants no more then to be with her. :)

jtbirds
05-16-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm not surprised at all by that! :) I think pluckers have been through a lot. So when they do find a caring owner/companion, they thrive and are loving companions themselves. It's amazing what a little TLC will do! My reference to time and patience was for the time and patience for the feathers to grow back, if they do at all. And I'm sure that most bird owners that owns a picking bird, would love to see them stop picking. But no matter what, will always love there feathered or not so feathered friends. :)

O Blanca I know what you mean I Was just referring to the fact pluckers can be much much more rewarding:)! You are completely right in what you have stated.

Shelly I take my plucked harlequin everywhere as well, she loves to go out and it does make her grow feathers quicker it seems, I do hate getting asked the question, o what's wrong with it? Is it sick? Is she unhappy? It gets tiresome, but I push through and oooo I love did she do that to herself? I say no I pulled them all;), should see the faces of the people lol!

Greenwing
05-16-2013, 01:25 AM
She is young.. Original owner said she was a little over a yr old.... I haven't seen her pluck or damage her feathers since I had her... From the looks of her feathers most are damaged not plucked...

This may seem crazy but I account for every feather I find at the bottom of her cage.. (1-2 a week)They all seem to be feathers that were already damaged..I check the ends and they appear to have fallen out while molting not pulled..

Blancaej
05-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Greenwing - I don't blame you for accounting for every feather. I think you are just being a great parront!

JT - I know from your stories of Baby that she is a wonderful bird. I hope that stories like yours and others on the forum, will encourage more people to adopt plucked birds. As they do seem like very loving companions! I know that since I've joined the forums, I've come to realize how special and wonderful they are! :)

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 02:23 AM
479I know what you mean by checking the bottom of the cage for feathers, I do it all the time just to make sure. I've had my conure for about 6 weeks now and she hasn't plucked since the second day I got her, but I still check, blowing on the bottom to see if any down floats....so far so good they're coming in and she's leaving them alone. I wear my hair in a braid most of the time, so I would her on my shoulder and hand her the end of my braid, and she would chew and groom it for hours. Then she just started doing it less and less, and doesn't do it that often now. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our kids!
And it's true what Justin says about plucker personalities, they're just angels!

roxynoodle
05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
My CAG began plucking when her former owners had to travel a lot due to a family situation. In my house she grew back some downy feathers in the plucked spot and then one day pulled them all out again. Nothing has grown back since. I felt horrible, but I know she's a very happy bird, so it really isn't my fault. I highly doubt she will ever get more feathers there as it's been more than a year with no sign of any coming back.

She is the sweetest little affectionate girl and I just had to accept that this is how she is. I love her immensely no matter what :) I think it was even harder on her previous owners as she was a fully feathered bird for like 18 years before this happened. I also know it was her plucking that made them decide to rehome the birds, thinking they would be happier in homes where the people weren't having to leave all the time for long periods.

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Well Audrey lucky for her she's with you...I feel the same way, it is what it is, and I don't love her less because of her quirks, I love her more. It's like having a kid who's a nail-biter or something like that, you hope they stop, but you certainly don't abandon them because of it. :th_hug8:

jtbirds
05-16-2013, 02:09 PM
That is very sweet Audrey:), I believe I will post the story of baby girl on here for everyone to see and read I have it somewhere just to find it;) and see about some pictures of her long ago and now:).

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Yes Justin please do, I don't think I've seen her

jtbirds
05-17-2013, 11:32 PM
I will be posting it need to get updated pictures, will try to do over the weekend or tonight yet!

plax
05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
My B&G, Jack (the third bird from the left on our banner), is a plucker. Several years ago he began plucking areas under his wings, as well as some small patches on the tops of his wings, and started pulling feathers from the inner portions of his legs. I had him as a fully-feathered bird for 24 years before he started to pluck. It began when I brought Zaf home in 2005 and Jack's cage mate, Maynard, decided to reject and start brutally attacking him. Jack became distraught and the quality of his life suffered from then on :(. He was my first Macaw and he's such a sweet bird. You can see part of one of his missing feather areas (his right leg) on the banner image. I thought about adding some feathers there with photoshop but opted against it.

Blancaej
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Tony - I'm glad you didn't "photoshop" the image and fix it. He is who he is and he is beautiful! You can't really tell there are feathers missing anyway! :D

jtbirds
05-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Tony I'd like to say jack is beautiful no matter what has happened! The fact maynard rejected him was just a completely random act that sometimes happens with these crazy animals, none of it was your fault and his quality of life is still amazing with you!

plax
05-21-2013, 01:17 AM
Thanks Justin :)