PDA

View Full Version : Such a scary thought..

Mare
05-05-2016, 01:13 AM
I'm thinking about flying Sassy outside without having Amigo being present. Amigo would ruin the flight and most likely scare her far away. A scary thought but a thought that has relevance..

Any input would be appreciated.

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 01:51 AM
In my opinion you shouldn't chance it. Normally you can't just release a bird outside (without leading up to it over time with appropriate conditioning) and expect that the bird will not fly away. If you decide to allow Sassy freedom outside, you should prepare yourself for the possibility that she may become overwhelmed or startled and launch into a panic flight traveling far away from your home, and that you may never see her again. In other words, if you do it you may deeply regret it for the rest of your life.

The first encounter a captive bird has with outdoor freedom is the most likely to result in loss of the bird. So again, my vote is no.

If you really want to fly Sassy outside, you should begin with recall training in a very large enclosed building and work progressively from there. Amigo is a special situation and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that other birds will duplicate his inclinations, his progress, or his dependability in similar fashion.

spiritbird
05-05-2016, 01:53 AM
Are you going to harness train?

Mare
05-05-2016, 02:23 AM
What I'm thinking is giving her a slight clip and beginning like we did with Amigo. No harness training, Sassy is totally devoted to Tim and I know this isn't guaranteed but devotion to their person is an amazing queue. I'm not yet full on going for this, don't worry, Tony.

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 02:29 AM
What I'm thinking is giving her a slight clip and beginning like we did with Amigo. No harness training, Sassy is totally devoted to Tim and I know this isn't guaranteed but devotion to their person is an amazing queue. I'm not yet full on going for this, don't worry, Tony.A "slight" clip may, or may not be enough. Here's the way I see it, Mare: With Amigo, you felt that you had no choice... whereas with Sassy, you DON'T have to take the risk. At least I'm guessing that you don't.

Mare
05-05-2016, 02:45 AM
Sassy can be a total idiot but who wouldn't be in her situation? If I were born to be wild and you locked me in a cage/house and expected me to be "normal"..?.. I would be asking questions! Birds are intelligent.

Mare
05-05-2016, 02:51 AM
Tony, you're right, I don't have to take that "risk". Life is a risk and we, as humans, take it. Our birds are in our hands.

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 03:31 AM
Tony, you're right, I don't have to take that "risk". Life is a risk and we, as humans, take it. Our birds are in our hands.You've combined a few things there, Mare. And on top of that you've made a general statement. In my opinion, it's not logical to hold the blanket view that since nearly everything we do presents some degree of risk, we should not make effort to avoid creating additional risks in our lives. The reason I see said view as illogical, is: 1) We absolutely have the power to preclude certain risks! And 2) certain risks present a greater likelihood of catastrophe than do others! That is to say, all risks do not have an equal chance of producing accidents. Reality holds that there is greater probability certain things will occur given certain circumstances.

Mare
05-05-2016, 03:41 AM
:) I love your views, Tony. Mine are just a bit skewed differently.

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 04:03 AM
:) I love your views, Tony. Mine are just a bit skewed differently. Ok so here goes I 'll stick my 2 cents in ... My birds are Captive yet they are not idiots, every creature has their own personality, IMHO your over thinking this scenario , especially when you watch videos of wild flocks of Little corellas. I do the same things from time to time, with my birds, especially when I look up at the sky on a beautiful day watching the birds soar, but I also have to realize my birds were not born in the wild they do not have the flock dynamics imprinted. I know I would be putting them in harms way if I set them free to fly in the wild blue yonder, just to ease my own guilt. I even entertain the idea, fly to Australia and set them free with the rest of their species. would they survive I doubt it .

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 04:15 AM
Good points, Suzanne.

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 04:18 AM
:) I love your views, Tony. Mine are just a bit skewed differently.At the risk of sounding arrogant -which I don't believe I am- I don't think that my views are skewed from reality. Reality is my anchor ;)

Mare
05-05-2016, 04:29 AM
I admire your anchor, Tony! Suzanne, you also have valid views. I have mine, too.

The reality is, birds can fly free and still be a captive bird. I know there is a lot of fear for most, especially me. Birds were not made to be chopped/living in a cage beings.

I'm just thinking. If it goes further, I will let you know. ...don't be so closed minded, people

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 05:09 AM
I admire your anchor, Tony! Suzanne, you also have valid views. I have mine, too.

The reality is, birds can fly free and still be a captive bird. I know there is a lot of fear for most, especially me. Birds were not made to be chopped/living in a cage beings.

I'm just thinking. If it goes further, I will let you know. ...don't be so closed minded, people Ok, you ask for opinions ... I gave you mine, since you are passionate about free flying, why not set all your birds free. with all due respect ., :th_smile:

Your words
I'm thinking about flying Sassy outside without having Amigo being present. Amigo would ruin the flight and most likely scare her far away. A scary thought but a thought that has relevance..

Any input would be appreciated.

Mare
05-05-2016, 05:13 AM
I'm working on it, Suzanne! :). I didn't mean to be argumentative but I guess that's just the way I am.

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 05:19 AM
I'm just thinking. If it goes further, I will let you know. ...don't be so closed minded, peopleI don't believe we're being closed-minded, Mare. I could say the same about you for not acknowledging how serious the risk associated with what you're contemplating happens to be, and instead erroneously implying that all risks are equal. All risks are not equal and the risk to which you're considering subjecting Sassy to is not necessary. You mentioned that "our birds are in our hands". In my view that means we are responsible for them and should never expose them to unnecessary risks. When we have the power to avoid doing so, but we fail to exercise that power, it seems inexcusable.

Speaking of my views, here is one of them. If you decide to go through with your possible plan, and if you lose Sassy as a result, it will be because you took it upon yourself to place her at risk without a pressing need to do so. If you opt to free fly Sassy in the way you've described, I sincerely hope that the process renders the success you're hoping for.

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 05:22 AM
I'm working on it, Suzanne! :). I didn't mean to be argumentative but I guess that's just the way I am. No need to apologize, I love a good debate keeps things interesting... Wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same. I don't think your argumentative, I like your high sprit ! it's refreshing !

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 05:39 AM
Clipping sassy won't keep her from flying far, I learned that lesson with Bentley. Especially if she catches an up-current . Now you have a bird that can't get off the ground once the current dies off ,. that's worse than a fully flighted bird, that at least has a chance to possibly return home before the hawks have her for dinner. Just say' n .

Mare
05-05-2016, 05:45 AM
I don't believe we're being closed-minded, Mare. I could say the same about you for not acknowledging how serious the risk associated with what you're contemplating happens to be, and instead erroneously implying that all risks are equal. All risks are not equal and the risk to which you're considering subjecting Sassy to is not necessary. You mentioned that "our birds are in our hands". In my view that means we are responsible for them and should never expose them to unnecessary risks. When we have the power to avoid doing so, but we fail to exercise that power, it seems inexcusable.

Speaking of my views, here is one of them. If you decide to go through with your possible plan, and if you lose Sassy as a result, it will be because you took it upon yourself to place her at risk without a pressing need to do so. If you opt to free fly Sassy in the way you've described, I sincerely hope that the process renders the success you're hoping for.

Thank you, if I decided to free fly Sassy, I also hope for the best. I absolutely think positive with everything I do in life. This doesn't mean all will go well but it definitely gives me a good attitude. Tony, I know the risks of free flying a bird..I've lived them. I know the sleepless nights of wondering if I'm doing right by my bird. I also know my birds. If I thought they couldn't handle it, it wouldn't be happening.

Sassy was one that I thought was too much of a basket case for me to ever think about allowing this! Times have changed and I now want to try her out. Trust me, or not.

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 05:53 AM
It's not my place to judge or trust you in this regard. She's your bird . I am simply answering your request for opinions, and obliging in your out-reach on this matter.:colorflash:

Penny
05-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Even if you ultimately let Sassy fly free, if it were me, I'd start with a bird harness or outdoor aviary of some sort, just in case her little mind is blown and she panics. Smart, silly, human or avian, we all can be thrown off by panic. That way if she's fine with it, and that's what makes you and her happy all is good. If she freaks, you have a lifeline, and then you can decide if you want to condition her to the outdoor world or just let her stay an indoor (or mostly indoor) bird.

Mare
05-05-2016, 06:00 AM
Clipping sassy won't keep her from flying far, I learned that lesson with Bentley. Especially if she catches an up-current . Now you have a bird that can't get off the ground once the current dies off ,. that's worse than a fully flighted bird, that at least has a chance to possibly return home before the hawks have her for dinner. Just say' n .

These cockatoos are very vocal, as I'm sure you know, Suzanne :). Our birds let us know where they are. When I was first flying Amigo, he had no knowledge of how to get from point A to point B. He sure did know how to contact me, though! I don't want you all to worry about this, have some faith..I sure do! Shut up,,Eeyore..

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 06:12 AM
I also hope for the best.The phrase "hope for the best" in and of itself implies doubt.

I absolutely think positive with everything I do in life. This doesn't mean all will go well but it definitely gives me a good attitude.Again, you've made a statement expressing some degree of doubt.

I know the sleepless nights of wondering if I'm doing right by my bird.Again, an expression of doubt.

If I thought they couldn't handle it, it wouldn't be happening.Thinking something will be a certain way cannot provide an inkling of assurance. What may or may not happen will actually be out of your control if you proceed with the process.

Sassy was one that I thought was too much of a basket case for me to ever think about allowing this! Times have changed and I now want to try her out.The phrase "try her out" implies uncertainty (i.e., a degree of doubt).

Trust me, or not.I trust your intentions, Mare. But I also know that you alone don't possess the power to fully control the situation you're possibly going to create :(

Mare
05-05-2016, 06:12 AM
Even if you ultimately let Sassy fly free, if it were me, I'd start with a bird harness or outdoor aviary of some sort, just in case her little mind is blown and she panics. Smart, silly, human or avian, we all can be thrown off by panic. That way if she's fine with it, and that's what makes you and her happy all is good. If she freaks, you have a lifeline, and then you can decide if you want to condition her to the outdoor world or just let her stay an indoor (or mostly indoor) bird.

You are so right, Penny. If I could get a harness on the little bugger, that might happen :). Sassy is Tim's mate , (my hubs) and we have been discussing doing this with Sassy. It wouldn't ever be tried without Tim being there and we would start out the same way we started out with Amigo.

Mare
05-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Tony..I have doubts GALORE!! The two things that I have going for me is knowing I am brave and,, I know my birds. Don't worry, nothing's going to happen, yet. I've just been fishing for some feedback :)

Thanks!

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 06:39 AM
Tony..I have doubts GALORE!! The two things that I have going for me is knowing I am brave and,, I know my birds. Don't worry, nothing's going to happen, yet. I've just been fishing for some feedback :)

Thanks!But you are being "brave" not in the face of a danger that threatens your own health and safety... but instead in the face of a danger that threatens a small sentient being who has no choice in the matter. I don't think that should be called "brave". Persistent and tenacious perhaps. But not brave. Optimism is not the same as realism!

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Casper isn't a great flyer, whether this is due to a healed up broken wing bone or just natural disinclination I am not sure. So we are able to take him outside on our shoulder and he loves to do that. We put him on his branch in the Magnolia tree and he just stays there whittling, pruning and preening and watching the wild birds all around. It is hard to relax in case he suddenly spooks but he has only done that once at a garden party and he only flew a few feet before landing and walking back - see, I said he doesn't fly much.
So, that is Casper, what about Sassy girl? Would she stay on a shoulder? Would she fly between you and Tim when called (best tried indoors first). If you can get her to come when called it could be so much easier.

Mare
05-05-2016, 03:05 PM
I suppose you could insert "stupid" in the place of "brave" :). I would have to call it brave, though. I've said this before and will stand by it..if I had belonged to a forum when starting to free fly Amigo, it wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't have happened because folks would have tried to talk sense into me and then foster doubt in my mind. No worries..I'm no longer feeling so brave :(

PlaxMacaws
05-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Mare: Sometimes a conversion of one's ideals into reality is neither practical nor safe :(. If you want to fly Sassy outside, you might do well to consider the safer -albeit slower- method of reaching that point (i.e., indoor flight area sessions with recall conditioning). Harness training is also an option. No one here has been trying to burst your bubble (as it were)... we just don't want to see you unnecessarily place Sassy at risk, and perhaps lose her.

Pinkbirdy
05-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Wow!! You have blown my mind away :) Will she recall in the house with Tim? Strap a tracking device to her.

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-05-2016, 06:41 PM
... Strap a tracking device to her.

Brilliant. :)

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Wow!! You have blown my mind away :) Will she recall in the house with Tim? Strap a tracking device to her. Best idea yet !

The Pinkertons
05-05-2016, 07:20 PM
These cockatoos are very vocal, as I'm sure you know, Suzanne :). Our birds let us know where they are. When I was first flying Amigo, he had no knowledge of how to get from point A to point B. He sure did know how to contact me, though! I don't want you all to worry about this, have some faith..I sure do! Shut up,,Eeyore.. Mare I'm curious who's Eeyore

Mare
05-05-2016, 11:31 PM
No comment, Suzanne..

Terri, that is an awesome idea! :). Sassy is not recall trained but the main reason I thought she would do well is that she is very bonded to Tim, wherever he's at she flys right to him and that's where she stays. That is how I got Amigo flying, he always kept track of me. Anyways, all is well, Tim and I discuss it once in a while and the fact that she is so much smaller than Amigo is the only negative we come up with, which is a big one.

kendrafitz
05-06-2016, 12:43 AM
Haven't been on in the last couple days and just came upon this.

If it were me I would worry. But I am a worrier and I am still thinking about the man who is searching for his GW that he lost while free flying. It's been around a month and he is still searching and heartbroken. So that is on my mind.

Can you try recall training with Tim and Sassy before you take the plunge? Just a little extra insurance that she will be able to get back to him?

Besides the Debbie Downer stuff I just said, Sassy lives with you and you know her best. I am positive that you will do what you know is right for her. :)

The Pinkertons
05-06-2016, 03:41 AM
No comment, Suzanne..

Terri, that is an awesome idea! :). Sassy is not recall trained but the main reason I thought she would do well is that she is very bonded to Tim, wherever he's at she flys right to him and that's where she stays. That is how I got Amigo flying, he always kept track of me. Anyways, all is well, Tim and I discuss it once in a while and the fact that she is so much smaller than Amigo is the only negative we come up with, which is a big one. Our Bella Bird is that way with my Husband.

Mare
05-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Our Bella Bird is that way with my Husband.

Whatever you do, Suzanne,, don't ever think about free flying! :). Sorry, I'm being a bit snarky :(. In my opinion, a strong bond is THE most important factor when thinking about flying your bird AND a positive attitude. Sure, there is a whole lot that can go wrong but..there is a whole lot more that that can go right and benefit your bird. This is just my opinion, I surely don't recommend it for everyone.

Thanks, Kendra. I was wondering about this poor fellow that lost his bird, I'm sorry to hear he's gotten no word :(

The Pinkertons
05-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Whatever you do, Suzanne,, don't ever think about free flying! :). Sorry, I'm being a bit snarky :(. In my opinion, a strong bond is THE most important factor when thinking about flying your bird AND a positive attitude. Sure, there is a whole lot that can go wrong but..there is a whole lot more that that can go right and benefit your bird. This is just my opinion, I surely don't recommend it for everyone.

Thanks, Kendra. I was wondering about this poor fellow that lost his bird, I'm sorry to hear he's gotten no word :(

No worries here Mare ...never would I Ever in my wildest dreams risk my Leadbeaters Cockatoos or any Captive Bred Bird (Big or small) to a potential tragedy. I have taken in injured wild birds, when they fully recovered I set them free. because I know that is where they belong, they would languish in captivity, unless of course they were handicapped somehow.
I wish you all the best in your ventures with free flying. Looking forward to hearing all about it! :th_smile:

kendrafitz
05-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Mare - nothing so far. He wrote a heartbreaking tribute to her, I cried reading it. I feel so badly for them all. I hope she turns up safe and sound soon.

Mare
05-08-2016, 03:44 AM
No worries here Mare ...never would I Ever in my wildest dreams risk my Leadbeaters Cockatoos or any Captive Bred Bird (Big or small) to a potential tragedy. I have taken in injured wild birds, when they fully recovered I set them free. because I know that is where they belong, they would languish in captivity, unless of course they were handicapped somehow.
I wish you all the best in your ventures with free flying. Looking forward to hearing all about it! :th_smile:

Suzanne, I wish I knew how not to isolate your words.. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever, either..

The Pinkertons
05-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Suzanne, I wish I knew how not to isolate your words.. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever, either..
:m2::heart: