PDA

View Full Version : More eggs!

Mare
04-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Chip and Jellybean have been searching for a nest spot in the bird room. They were starting to seem desperate so I hooked them up with a nest box. I hung it up yesterday and there is already one egg laid!

I really don't want Jellybean to be harmed by laying, this will be her second clutch this season. Does anyone know, would she still be laying even if I separated her from Chip?

I'll post a pic of the box as soon as my photobucket relaxes :)

spiritbird
04-30-2016, 11:09 PM
She may lay more about every second day. I suggest you let them both go through the process because the male will participate and feed the female while she is on the eggs and will also feed the babies. If you want to separate them after this clutch is weaned that would be the time. They will not be very happy birds if apart because they are now bonded to each other. Of course I am not a breeder like Cedar Dave but I have done lots of research.

I believe a member gave you this link [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
Its about the best on the web for first hand information. Have you read the books you purchased?

Is there a quiet room for them? Both the parents and chicks will be better off not being in a room with noisy other birds.

Mare
04-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Thanks, Dianne, yes I've been reading the books and I have read what you just posted, before. It just seems too soon for them to be having more eggs. I now know why Chip has been overly aggressive.

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-01-2016, 08:38 AM
She must have been flying around with her legs crossed, wondering when you were going to put that box up. :)

Penny
05-01-2016, 09:04 AM
That seems like it would be a drain on her calcium, but they sure seem to have a desire to hatch some little ones!

Mare
05-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Penny, Jellybean is a good little eater, she loves her greens and she makes good use of the cuttlebone, so, I'm hoping she's getting enough calcium. She is young, though, and this more than anything is what concerns me.

We now have two eggs. I haven't ordered the dummy eggs, yet. I'll let them have one more go at trying to hatch some out but I really don't want her to continue having clutches throughout the summer. I'll have the eggs on hand, just in case, if I need to I'll give them a try.

Here is a pic of their nest box. I ordered it off Amazon and it is the size made specially for cockatiels. Chip is peeking out the hole. I hung it in a cubby area of the room where Sassy can't see it :). Dianne, I still have them in the same room as the other birds and with Amigo outside most days, the noise level hasn't been too bad.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
05-02-2016, 01:24 AM
That box looks perfect. Here's hoping for a few healthy chicks. :goodjob:

Mare
05-03-2016, 01:21 AM
Jellybean is out of the nest box, eating and just hanging out. I'm learning that she may have another egg in her chest area, it's more pronounced than normal. There may be one more egg tomorrow.

The Pinkertons
05-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Jellybean is out of the nest box, eating and just hanging out. I'm learning that she may have another egg in her chest area, it's more pronounced than normal. There may be one more egg tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well this time
:4490::th_nervous1:

Mare
05-03-2016, 02:26 AM
Thank you, Suzanne :) I hope so, also!

spiritbird
05-03-2016, 02:41 AM
I have read it helps to take the female in a steamy bathroom if she has problems passing the egg.

Mare
05-03-2016, 02:46 AM
They are excellent parents, so far! One comes out of the box and the other one returns to the nest. They are pretty much in tuned. I have a small pie plate full of water that they dunk their bottom body parts into before returning to their nest. This is an important part of hatching eggs, humidity. If the eggs get too dry, there can be issues.

Penny
05-03-2016, 06:00 AM
I sure hope everything goes well. They seem to be very attentive, which is fantastic, and I bet the cuttlebone will help a lot!

Mare
05-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Penny..me too! :). She and Chip, both, eat quite a bit of the cuttlebone bone!