PDA

View Full Version : Peanut

mdg1109
04-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Well little did I know this week that we would be the proud parents of a second bird. Peanut a WBC will become part of our family at the end of June. My husband contacted the breeder we got Charlie from and asked for WBC if she had any and at the time about a month ago she did not have any but put my husband at the top of the waiting list. I was not aware of this and received an email last week that she hatched a WBC and reserved him (his DNA testing has been done so we are sure it is a he) and that we can pick him up at the end of June.

I should preface this by saying when we started our bird journey we originally set out to get a WBC, but we (mostly I) fell in love with the personality of the LSC2 so that is how we came to be with Charlie. Now we will be the parents of 2 fids.

My heart first and foremost will belong to Charlie, and to be honest I am not ready to bring another bird home but it looks like that is what is in store for me/us.

I wanted to get other caique owners opinions on how to introduce the two birds. Our breeder has kinda given us a brief overview and I am going to request that she send me a detailed email but I wanted to get other fid parents opinions.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-27-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure whether to congratulate you on the incoming WBC or not, You seem to be a little unsure.

WBC
White bellied cormorant?
West Bolivian chaffinch?
Wavy beaked cockatoo?
World's best conure?
Hmm, leave it with me, I will get there in the end :)

Mare
04-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Congrats! Will Peanut be his name?..cute, if so :). I'm going to guess that WBC stands for White Bellied Caique..?

mdg1109
04-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Congrats! Will Peanut be his name?..cute, if so :). I'm going to guess that WBC stands for White Bellied Caique..?

Yes, WBC is white bellied caique. Thank you and yes we have decided on Peanut for his name.

Jean-Pierre, I am a little unsure because I was not wanting to bring another bird into the house. My husband went to the breeder without me knowing. I am not ready for another bird, I was wanting to just have Charlie.

We have 3 parakeets, but all they want us humans for is to feed, water and clean their cages for them. I am kind of on the fence about the new bird. I am a one woman bird and Charlie stole my heart. Besides getting ready to go back to work, my two sons and Charlie I feel like I have enough on my plate.

White Bellied Como rant, can you have those as pets?

spiritbird
04-27-2016, 08:59 PM
I hope all turns out well for the birds and you. Charlie will understand when he finds out he is your only love.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

My favorite parrot writer [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Interesting Sally says to prepare the resident bird ahead of time for the new bird. Your routine changes are what get the resident bird upset so begin before the new bird is in your home. Start by setting up the new birds cage first and then act as if you are cleaning and feeding a new bird. Of course within sight of Charlie although new cage is in quarantine room.

mdg1109
04-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Dianne, you always give such good and helpful information, thank you!

kendrafitz
04-27-2016, 11:36 PM
A new silly, kooky caique could be what the Dr ordered for your son. Charlie is your baby and Peanut may end up being his. :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-28-2016, 09:21 AM
White Bellied Como rant, can you have those as pets?

Not if you value the fish in your pond :th_laughing8:

Lady
04-30-2016, 03:48 AM
Maybe your hubby was needing a bird of his own. Now that Charlie has stolen your heart he maybe he needing one too. Sounds to me like he had his heart set on a WBC before Charlie was discovered. After all won't the hubby be taking care of the flock/family while your at work?

Penny
04-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Congratulations!

mdg1109
04-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Maybe your hubby was needing a bird of his own. Now that Charlie has stolen your heart he maybe he needing one too. Sounds to me like he had his heart set on a WBC before Charlie was discovered. After all won't the hubby be taking care of the flock/family while your at work?

Oh, Alice I wish it was that easy. My husband has trouble staying focused on one thing at a time. His intentions are good but his follow up leaves a lot to be desired. The agreement was we weren't going to get another bird and instead he was going to build himself a saltwater tank. Long story short not only did he build himself a 50 gallon saltwater tank but now we are also getting the bird because he went behind my back and talked with the bird breeder and told her he wanted the bird.

So, needless to say even though I will be gone for 8 hours a day it will look at those I have been gone for 8 days and the house will be a disaster, he doesn't help me with Charlie as it is now (which I don't mind because he is my bird) but it just isn't that easy to say he will help because he hasn't in the past.

Mare
04-30-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm a true believer in birds having other birds around, for birdy company. They may never be allowed to be free together in the same room or they may get along great, you just don't know but they WILL enjoy having each other in the same room to share their caged time with. :)

(Separate cages, of course!)

mdg1109
04-30-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm a true believer in birds having other birds around, for birdy company. They may never be allowed to be free together in the same room or they may get along great, you just don't know but they WILL enjoy having each other in the same room to share their caged time with. :)

(Separate cages, of course!)

Oh definitely Mare, I have already ordered Peanuts cage and we already know where we are going to put it. The parakeets (Rio, Jim & Tweety bird) are across the room from Charlies cage, it seems like when they are singing he has to make some kind of noise also.

Also I have noticed when the dogs start barking (especially of someone is at the front door) Charlie makes a noise almost as if he is barking it is too funny!

The Pinkertons
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Oh, Alice I wish it was that easy. My husband has trouble staying focused on one thing at a time. His intentions are good but his follow up leaves a lot to be desired. The agreement was we weren't going to get another bird and instead he was going to build himself a saltwater tank. Long story short not only did he build himself a 50 gallon saltwater tank but now we are also getting the bird because he went behind my back and talked with the bird breeder and told her he wanted the bird.

So, needless to say even though I will be gone for 8 hours a day it will look at those I have been gone for 8 days and the house will be a disaster, he doesn't help me with Charlie as it is now (which I don't mind because he is my bird) but it just isn't that easy to say he will help because he hasn't in the past.Oh well ! Michelle welcome to the Jungle/Zoo... I to, am the Official Zoo Keeper around here. You are welcome any time to cry/ lean on my shoulder :th_sos::th_grouphug2:

Pinkbirdy
04-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Hi ,I have 3 Caiques [great little birds). Your birds will enjoy the company of more in the flock. They may not be playstand friends though. Be careful with Toos and smaller birds .

mdg1109
05-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Hi ,I have 3 Caiques [great little birds). Your birds will enjoy the company of more in the flock. They may not be playstand friends though. Be careful with Toos and smaller birds .

Thank you Terri! I was thinking that they probably would not be allowed on the play gyms at the same time and if they are on the play gyms at the same time it would have to be under extremely supervised supervision!

I am hoping that they get along (fingers crossed).