PDA

View Full Version : Leaving this forum for a while

Robyn
04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
I seriously can not deal with the amount of irresponsibility here and especially the hypocrisy. After years of this forum supposedly being about the safety and well being of parrots it has apparently in one day turned into everybody everywhere should have a parrot **** that I will not buy into whatever the hell brain washed you guys but I'm done.

Pudgerigar
04-11-2016, 09:24 AM
No one ever said that everyone should have a parrot and I honestly have no idea where you got that idea. I just shot down the implication that disabled people inherently can't keep parrots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kendrafitz
04-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Oh Robyn, I am so sorry to read this. I really hope you change your mind. I do not believe everyone should have parrots. I actually discourage non bird people from aquiring one when they see Rosie and get googly eyed. As a person who struggles with keeping Rosie and my family happy I know how difficult living with parrots is. It takes a certain type of person to live with them, which is a very small percent of the population.

spiritbird
04-11-2016, 12:54 PM
I am sorry you feel this way. Having opinions on a subject one way or the other does not mean PP members are irresponsible or hypocritical. Being tolerant of other members opinions is part of maturity. There is no "perfect bird forum" where you can agree with everything that is written by its members. I wish you well and will miss your postings.

Mare
04-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Oh well..can't win 'em all.. I wish you well, Robyn.

plax
04-11-2016, 04:48 PM
I hope you'll reconsider, Robyn! It's common for people to hold different passionate views. I don't often comment on this... but I, myself, in fact have a disability (which I won't discuss publicly) and I have to say that my birds have been of great benefit to me through the years. I'm convinced that it should all depend upon the specific situation and the particular people (and birds) involved. Without question, pet birds should never be placed in the sole custody of certain individuals, whether due to the configuration and status of their disorder(s), or because of distorted/dangerous values and priorities those individuals may hold. But in my view we should avoid blanket conclusions on the possible roles that pet birds may serve to help certain folks. I feel that every case of companion bird access and involvement should be well-screened and thought through ahead of time. And I think that whenever possible each of us should try to empathize with those who hold different views, making effort to understand why varying opinions may be the case. Mind you, I don't mean that we should necessarily change our personal views. But it would be nice if we each found a way to stop short of personal criticism (and this applies to everyone, including myself!). I think each of our members is well-intentioned. Again, please reconsider.

Mare
04-11-2016, 05:34 PM
You're such a diplomat, Tony,,which is a good thing. Sometimes it's hard not to respond passionately and to just bite your tongue. Believe me..I've really matured over the last few years, it was difficult indeed!

Mare
04-11-2016, 11:22 PM
A sense of humor..anyone? I'm feeling like there has been a cold blanket thrown over this thread. It shouldn't be that way. People feel how they feel and hopefully get over it.

lolsavannahh
04-12-2016, 01:15 AM
Robyn, it's sad to see you go.. but I understand if you must. We were never trying to provoke you or upset you. I am a strong believer that 95% of the population cannot properly care for a parrot and I will stand behind that... but of course some people get them not knowing what they're getting into. Some people have different opinions and I'm sure, to an extent, we mostly all agreed with you. It's very situational, like Tony said, and depends on the person and the disability(s) they have. Each individual is different and different disabilities call for different measures. I too have a mental disability and I believe I can give Nash the most fulfilling and enriching lifestyle possible for me and him in captivity, and nothing is holding me back! There are some other people who have my disability and cannot care for a parrot but it depends on them and how they are as people. Blanketing a big old "NO" on top of anyone with any type of disability is just silly. Parrots are complex creatures and we all know that here, but we need to be reasonable and agree to disagree.

I hope you will reconsider and rejoin us soon, no harsh feelings!

plax
04-12-2016, 01:31 AM
A sense of humor..anyone? I'm feeling like there has been a cold blanket thrown over this thread. It shouldn't be that way. People feel how they feel and hopefully get over it.Mare: I appreciate your sense of humor (as always), but I consider this quite a serious matter. When these things occur it's difficult to avoid the creation of offended members on both sides of an issue. I don't want anyone to be offended because I know that everyone here means well.

Sometimes it's really not about the issue at hand that makes people overreact, but something else that is an inner turmoil. Possibly this venue was a place to release.Suzanne: I believe that Robyn is seriously impassioned because there are so many discarded parrots in our world. And I think she combined that concern with her belief that humans with certain severe disorders may be more prone toward impatience and intolerance with complex pets such as parrots (be that a correct view or not). I took the impression that she feels this may lead to unnecessary additional abandonment of pet birds. I further believe that she may have missed the fact that no one participating in the thread discussion was suggesting that severely mentally ill folks by themselves own parrots. At least that's my take on the misunderstanding element. I will add that I am someone who is quite passionate about bird safety issues, especially the predator pet intermingling one. And that's not due to inner turmoil or misplaced aggression in my case... it's instead because I truly care for the welfare of pet birds and dread terrible mistakes by pet owners. I have to assume that is Robyn's motivation as well. I know that everyone involved in the discussion today is sincere and only wants whats best for all birds. Therefore, no one is at fault. It was merely an escalated misunderstanding. I don't really wish to hash this over again and again. I simply believe in expressing my full perspective. Hopefully my having done so here won't further upset anyone.

plax
04-13-2016, 08:16 AM
I seriously can not deal with the amount of irresponsibility here and especially the hypocrisy. After years of this forum supposedly being about the safety and well being of parrots it has apparently in one day turned into everybody everywhere should have a parrot **** that I will not buy into whatever the hell brain washed you guys but I'm done.
Robyn: While I admire your concern and your level of passion for the welfare of companion parrots -which is why I've allowed several of your recent remarks to stand- it's unfortunate that you have misinterpreted the core discussion within the Therapy Birds thread. Several members attempted to clarify the matter for you, explaining that the concept of "bird therapy" for patients doesn't mean that those patients should own and have custody of the therapy birds. The idea is actually that patients could engage in controlled contact sessions with the birds, and nothing more. Unfortunately you ignored the clarification efforts and became very critical of what you thought was being implied.

Your above criticism of this forum community is erroneous as well. Our values and practices are responsible and consistent, not hypocritical. We have not changed.

I hope you'll consider returning to our community at some point. I'm going to miss your pre-issue posts.