PDA

View Full Version : List of nontoxic and toxic foods , woods, etc. for our birds

wingman
04-08-2016, 09:02 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Thanks Charlie, its nice to have a comprehensive list handy.

wingman
04-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Not sure how to do that! LOL !!!

The Pinkertons
04-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Not sure how to do that! LOL !!!
Charlie...No worries, I had posted a reply that was not relevant to your thread. Thanks for the list comes in handy for reference.

plax
04-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Charlie: Thanks for posting this list. Can we cite its source please?

lolsavannahh
04-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Wow I will be completely honest I never knew raw peanuts were bad for birds! How come? I don't feed Nash peanuts but if I had never seen this I may have! Seems like such a 'parrot' food!!

wingman
04-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Tony it is from here.......[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The Pinkertons
04-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Wow I will be completely honest I never knew raw peanuts were bad for birds! How come? I don't feed Nash peanuts but if I had never seen this I may have! Seems like such a 'parrot' food!!
Aflatoxin, a group of toxins produced by certain species of the fungi aspergillus, is a potential contaminant of peanuts, cereals and grains. Improper storage in warm, damp, dark, conditions promotes growth of the mold,” said Muscarella. "Aflatoxin is a potent liver toxin, and birds are exquisitely susceptible to its toxic effects. This was reported a long time ago in England, where many turkeys died from Aflatoxicosis after eating contaminated corn. At the time this syndrome was referred to as "Turkey X" disease. To this day, there are clear accounts of pet birds dying after eating moldy peanuts and grains
Referenced from = The BirdChannel.com

plax
04-09-2016, 02:49 AM
Note:
We have a number of safe/unsafe item list threads in this section. Some of the lists therein contain redundancies. I need to go through those lists and decide which of them represent the best combined information and then reassign sticky status. I will do that fairly soon.

Penny
04-09-2016, 03:55 AM
Never bad to have a reminder!

plax
04-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Never bad to have a reminder!True. But it's also helpful to group things as efficiently as possible. One reason for doing so is in case someone checks one of several existing lists and the list they check isn't complete (e.g., it may happen to be missing the toxic item they are researching). If such were to occur the individual may not check the other lists to learn of an important inclusion.

I've retired some of the redundant lists from their sticky thread status and posted a single general list at:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The new list is based upon the one that Charlie posted yesterday. I've modified it slightly by adding some additions and removing some references to a named web source to which there were no links. We can modify this list as additional information is discovered. And we can perhaps streamline even further - ideas are always welcome. This is merely a starting point.

spiritbird
04-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Nice list. Thanks. As a clarification beans in the dried form are toxic because they contain a poison called hemaglutin which is very toxic to birds. To avoid exposure, make sure to thoroughly cook any beans that you choose to share with your bird.