PDA

View Full Version : *GRAPHIC WARNING* Analyse this baby GW Macaw poop please

chad84
04-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Name: Robert

Genealogy: Wild parents; raised until 8 weeks old then abandoned
Adoption: Given to me by a friend to hand feed and raise as my buddy

Plumage: Head, wings and tail intact; mother plucked rest of body; new fluff and feather growths emerging
Home: My entire house; free range; sits in box when cleaning house; have a 5 ft x 6 ft aviary when he gets older

Vet: Non-Avian vet (knowledgeable with Avians though)

Current Meds: Amoxicillin oral 100 mg suspension (flavoured)
Dosage: .5 ml twice a day ( 1 ml a day)
Reason: Wheezing, sneezing and tail bobbing
Diagnosis: Aspiration/Respiratory infection
Duration for Meds: 7 days
Total time on Meds: 4 days

Previous Meds: Diflucan 150mg gelatin capsule
Dosage: 20mg a day
Reason: Slow crop, sour breath, dough texture to crop, food undigested in poop, white blobs in mouth
Diagnosis: Candidiasis
Duration for Meds: 7 days
Total time on Meds: 7 days

I would like to get someone to give me a diagnosis of the entire poop; especially the urine. They cloudy yellow urine started around the same that he started the Amoxicillin. Sometimes he has normal stools, sometimes they are almost clear and sometime they are cloudy. I am worried. I ran to the vet who told me to finish the meds and then bring him back a few days after the meds have worn off. I was wondering what madness is this. My baby pooping yellow and I have to wait? He doesn't seem sick at all. Following me around all day. When I visit my clients I have to carry him around as he cries and begs to come along. He nibbles my toes and always wants to be picked up like a helpless child. He is alive and well. Should I continue the Amoxicillin beyond the 7 days?

Poop on tile (camera flash off)
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Poop on tile (camera flash on)
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Poop picked up with toilet paper (camera flash off)

Poop picked up with toilet paper (camera flash on)

Cedardave
04-08-2016, 12:33 AM
Lets start with what he ate prior to this dropping.In relation to his feeding time, when was his medication given
.It is entirely possable that if the two were close, the result could be waste containing some processed meds.
Dropping can change slightly depending on what food (fruits,vegetable,nuts etc) were consumed.In
addition the medication can also react with the sugars in the fruits or vegetables causing a slight alteration.Dont panic,
but do keep an eye on him.I am not a vet, simply sharing my opinion.We breed and care for close to 70 macaws and
other parrots....so I see lots of poop.... :)

The Pinkertons
04-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Chad84... trust what Cedardave is saying to you, quote (We breed and care for close to 70 macaws and
other parrots....so I see lots of poop.... ) I know you are concerned and want the best for Robert, sometimes we tend to overthink things ... finish the meds, his poop is not that unusual, and he is eating and acting normal, all seems to be ok.

PlaxMacaws
04-08-2016, 01:32 AM
chad84: I agree with what has been stated above. Also, be mindful that the color from the solid portions of the droppings can leach into the liquids, especially if the poop remains in the cloaca for an extended period - such as when the bird is asleep for a relatively long period. So for example, if the solids are greenish in color and the urine component starts out mostly clear, a certain amount of the green from the solids can mix into the urine component causing something similar to your photos. I'm unsure if that's a factor in Robert's case. It may or may not be. But I feel it's worth mentioning.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Diet affects poo.
This is what I know, it isn't much because I am not too interested in poop.
Pear makes Casper's poop watery.
Cuttlefish bone makes it whiter.
When the blackberries are ripe and the wild birds are feasting their poop can melt the paintwork on cars so clean it off quickly (also applies to seagulls poop at any time).

chad84
04-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Morning all. Been a busy few days. Robert is now 12 weeks old. he has been off the Amoxicillin for 2 days now. I also took him off the multivit CH and the AVC. His poop still has the yellow tinted urine. He is so active and playful.

PlaxMacaws
04-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Morning all. Been a busy few days. Robert is now 12 weeks old. he has been off the Amoxicillin for 2 days now. I also took him off the multivit CH and the AVC. His poop still has the yellow tinted urine. He is so active and playful.Please bring this to the attention of your vet. There are many things that can cause a coloring in the urine component. Don't assume the worst, but have it investigated. Please let us know what you learn.

chad84
04-20-2016, 02:40 AM
He is not an avian vet. I will have to ask him to do some testing.