PDA

View Full Version : insight into the reasoning many vets embrace concerning their ability to get paid

PlaxMacaws
04-05-2016, 02:23 AM
I stumbled upon the following blog exchange involving veterinarians who rationalize refusal to treat sick or injured pets when the owners are unable to pay for services up front. I find the arguments contained therein impactfully harsh and quite revealing. What do each of you think?

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
04-05-2016, 02:53 AM
I read several of the comments. I feel disillusioned by our human race. I realize that doctors need to repay school loans and have other bills to run their office..but also would hope that they got into the field to HELP animals. Our youngest son who is in medical school, first year (human) school..is loving doing the free clinics and I know that he is going abroad as soon as he's done with all his schooling, to help folks in need. We need more humans like this, we all need to do all we can to help others..friend, foe or animal.

Penny
04-05-2016, 03:32 AM
I personally would love to see a world in which everyone, human or otherwise, is able to get the care they need with cost not being a concern. I think the thing we have to remember is that these treatments aren't free for the veterinarians either and the government has enough trouble just getting humans the care they need properly, I can't imagine they would do better with animals. That means if the veterinarian treats the animal that cannot pay they are out a large sum which is highly likely to end up unpaid. It doesn't take many cases like that to shut down an animal clinic, and then they can't help anyone anymore. Considering that most veterinarians got into the business because they do love animals, I imagine it's an extremely difficult decision for them. It's a choice I don't really want to be on either side of.

Mare
04-05-2016, 03:52 AM
Socialization..ism, is such a hated word but such a needed truism. Stand up for what you believe in, Penny.

wingman
04-05-2016, 07:34 AM
I would be a poor doctor ! I would treat the animal no matter it be human or a bird any way. You take an oath to do no harm,to me its an oath that applies to all living creatures...