PDA

View Full Version : Scooping Food Out of Bowl

mdg1109
04-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Hello all. So Charlie has taken to scooping the new Harrisons food that I got for him out of his bowl. I am gradually trying to switch him over to Harrisons so I have been mixing the Zupreem breeders blend in with the Harrison. I have done 1/3 cup of Zupreem to 1/4 of the Harrisons.

This morning I noticed him scooping the Harrisons out of his food bowl to where if falls on the bottom of his cage.

A couple of questions:

1.) Why would he be doing this?

2.) How many times should I introduce the Harrisons before I assume he does not like it?

Thanks for any advice suggestions.

PlaxMacaws
04-04-2016, 07:40 PM
The answer to question 1 is that Charlie, like so many other birds, doesn't appreciate change. That's often especially the case when it comes to the foods they are offered. When a bird is already used to and enjoys eating a particular staple food it can be quite difficult to convert it to a replacement food. To make matters worse, unfortunately, lots of birds don't care much for Harrison's pellets to begin with. It's not very interesting to look at and it lacks the sugar found in many other pellet brands. Often, if you give a bird the choice between a food that he already likes and another food that doesn't taste as good or look at all pleasing to him, he will purge the latter. From his perspective, why should he do anything else?

It's a shame that the above seems true for a great many captive parrots since Harrison's bird foods are made from the best quality organic ingredients. All you can really do is be persistent. Don't give up for at least as long as you have the Harrison's food in your possession. Charlie may eventually come around. You might try soaking the Harrison's in fruit juice or coating it with various nut butters or mixing it with various moist foods from which it may absorb some of the juices. But only time and persistence will tell if any of that may render success. Another thing you might try is the Harrison's pepper flavored pellets. Some birds who won't touch the regular Harrison's pellets seem to enjoy the pepper flavored ones. Also you might call the toll-free number on the back of the Harrison's bag and discuss the matter with their people.

For what it's worth, the only macaw I have who will consistently eat Harrison's pellets is Salsa. The other 3 tend to consistently loathe them :(

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-04-2016, 07:52 PM
If its the little cubes of Harrison's then it does make a very satisfying pinging noise as it hits the bars on the way down and at the bottom. :)
Charlie does seem to be trying to show his opinion of this new stuff but has he actually tried eating any?
I would try giving him only Harrison's and see what happens. Promise him some Zupreem when he has eaten all his Harrisons.

spiritbird
04-04-2016, 10:42 PM
I would not mix old and new any more. Serve only the Harrison's. He will catch on soon. What a little smart stinker to scoop them out!

mdg1109
04-05-2016, 12:37 AM
If its the little cubes of Harrison's then it does make a very satisfying pinging noise as it hits the bars on the way down and at the bottom. :)
Charlie does seem to be trying to show his opinion of this new stuff but has he actually tried eating any?
I would try giving him only Harrison's and see what happens. Promise him some Zupreem when he has eaten all his Harrisons.

Ohhh yes, he seems to love hearing it hit the cage, the cage bottom and the floor, little turkey.

I feel like I am dealing with a toddler again.

On the other hand I made him some zuchinni noodles and he loves those!

mdg1109
04-05-2016, 12:38 AM
I would not mix old and new any more. Serve only the Harrison's. He will catch on soon. What a little smart stinker to scoop them out!

Ohh yes Dianne, he is extremely smart, what I left out of the original post is that he ate out all the Zupreem pellets and left the Harrison in the bottom of the bowl before he decided to start scooping them out.

I call him a turkey when he is being silly or doing something he is not supposed to be doing. :pinkgrin:

Mare
04-05-2016, 12:53 AM
These guys are amazing at "pick and toss" :). I use Zupreem natural pellets. The only way I get Amigo to eat them, STILL..is by grinding them up and heating them with his morning oatmeal. Sassy and the cockatiels don't mind them so much. Sassy prefers the cockatiel size over the cockatoo size pellet.

spiritbird
04-05-2016, 03:07 AM
That's an idea. Maybe the Harrison's people could send you a smaller pellet to try.

The Pinkertons
04-05-2016, 04:03 AM
Try mixing Harrison's with his zucchini noodles

mdg1109
04-05-2016, 10:19 AM
That's an idea. Maybe the Harrison's people could send you a smaller pellet to try.

I actually got the fine size instead of the coarse size because I thought it would be easier to transition him over since they are more like the Zupreem pellets, there i go thinking again.

Suzanne, that is an awesome idea, I will try that.

Mare, would you mind taking a picture of the oatmeal you make for the birds? I have thought about doing something like that but am worried that I will make the consistency to thick and he won't eat it.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-05-2016, 12:03 PM
...Sassy prefers the cockatiel size over the cockatoo size pellet.

Haha, flock feeding syndrome - I want what they're having. :)

Mare
04-05-2016, 02:55 PM
For sure, Michelle! :). I just now read this so will take a pic tomorrow morning for you. Do you have a spice/coffee grinder? I have one specifically for the pellets with a big piece of tape on it and writing in big, bold felt pen, to remind people that this is NOT for coffee beans! :)

mdg1109
04-05-2016, 04:41 PM
For sure, Michelle! :). I just now read this so will take a pic tomorrow morning for you. Do you have a spice/coffee grinder? I have one specifically for the pellets with a big piece of tape on it and writing in big, bold felt pen, to remind people that this is NOT for coffee beans! :)

Yes ma'am I do have a coffee/spice grinder and also a mini food processor. Do you think I could grind some of the Harrison's food up and sprinkle it over his fruit and veggies in the morning?

Tony, I had no idea birds liked spicy foods....thank you for telling me about the pepper food :th_smile:

The Pinkertons
04-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Mine like fresh jalapeno peppers, I slice them in rings seeds and all top their food with like a garnish.

mdg1109
04-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Mine like fresh jalapeno peppers, I slice them in rings seeds and all top their food with like a garnish.

Wow, I never would have guessed that? I know that they have mucus membranes in their mouths but I guess they also have taste buds because they can differentiate between things they like and things they don't.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Am I right in thinking that parrots do not sense the hotness of chili peppers, they just love the taste?

Mare
04-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Mine like serrano and jalapeņo peppers, too. I've heard that their tongues aren't sensitive to the heat, I have wondered how it feels if they rub their eye after eating one with their foot, though..

Michelle, here is a pic of the morning oatmeal with ground up pellets. The pic on the left is after it has cooled sufficiently, I then stir in enough water (not a lot) to give it a runny consistency. I add a little coconut oil and just a touch of brown sugar while it's still warm.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
04-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Parrots' taste buds are found in the back of their throats and on their tongues and, like ours, can distinguish sweet, sour, bitter and salt. But whereas humans have about 9000 taste buds, parrots have only about 350. Since Parrots have less taste buds than humans they do not taste the hotness of peppers as we do. They are much less sensitive.

bill-e
04-06-2016, 03:02 PM
I have all the different flavor Nutriberries and the only one Nike will consistently eat are the El Paso. Those smell like peppers which is weird because she will not touch any fresh peppers or chilis

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Thank you Dianne :)

mdg1109
04-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Mine like serrano and jalapeņo peppers, too. I've heard that their tongues aren't sensitive to the heat, I have wondered how it feels if they rub their eye after eating one with their foot, though..

Michelle, here is a pic of the morning oatmeal with ground up pellets. The pic on the left is after it has cooled sufficiently, I then stir in enough water (not a lot) to give it a runny consistency. I add a little coconut oil and just a touch of brown sugar while it's still warm.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

OK silly question, are you using Quaker oats or baby food oatmeal? Are you letting them eat it straight out of the bowl? How often do you give them the oatmeal? Thank you for posting the picture, sorry for the flood of questions.

mdg1109
04-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Parrots' taste buds are found in the back of their throats and on their tongues and, like ours, can distinguish sweet, sour, bitter and salt. But whereas humans have about 9000 taste buds, parrots have only about 350. Since Parrots have less taste buds than humans they do not taste the hotness of peppers as we do. They are much less sensitive.

That is so interesting, I new that they did not taste anything with their tongue but more use it as a finger, but thank you for posting this it is quite interesting! You are always a wealth of information :loveit:

Mare
04-07-2016, 12:52 AM
OK silly question, are you using Quaker oats or baby food oatmeal? Are you letting them eat it straight out of the bowl? How often do you give them the oatmeal? Thank you for posting the picture, sorry for the flood of questions.

I use a fist full of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for 2 cockatoos. I cook this in one bowl, in the microwave, for one minute and 20 seconds with a Tblsp. of ground up pellets and enough water to cover just above the top. You would want to cut this quantity in half. I feed them this every morning whether they eat it all or not. Some days they chow down everything.

mdg1109
04-07-2016, 10:11 AM
I use a fist full of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats for 2 cockatoos. I cook this in one bowl, in the microwave, for one minute and 20 seconds with a Tblsp. of ground up pellets and enough water to cover just above the top. You would want to cut this quantity in half. I feed them this every morning whether they eat it all or not. Some days they chow down everything.

Great, thank you I am going to try it and see how Charlie does with it.

Thank you for your help!

Mare
04-07-2016, 01:39 PM
You're welcome! :).

plax
04-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Great, thank you I am going to try it and see how Charlie does with it.Be sure that you are able to dip your finger into the heated mixture and hold it there comfortably for 5 seconds (or so) before serving it to Charlie. Microwave ovens vary and can result in very hot food substances. Birds may ignore the heat and become seriously injured.