PDA

View Full Version : Nearly a catastrophe..

Mare
03-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Maybe I should post this under "fricken dang bird", not sure. A friend of mine drove in this morning and Amigo was out and about in the yard. He likes to chase and follow cars (don't worry, he didn't get hit by one), he also does these flying, flipping over backwards maneuvers while in mid-air. Well, the fricken' dang bird, while doing a flip, upside-down close to the ground..hit a metal fence post!! It scared me so bad, I thought for sure we were on our way to the vet!

He fell to the ground, recovered and flew up into a tree where I couldn't get him. I could tell he was stunned. I finally got him to fly down after an hour. He's in, with a skinned up nostril and some feathers missing around his face and ear, probably a huge headache. Thank you, God/Universe, he still has an eye and wing and attitude.

I'll keep him in for another day, just to make sure he's ok. He IS missing the feathers that cover his right ear hole. This is a concern.. I've got a call into his vet.

mdg1109
03-29-2016, 10:17 PM
OMG, he is having a rough week or so. Charlie has been acting kind of fiesty also. Someone mentioned a full moon, maybe that has something to do with the way our fids are acting.

I am glad that he is OK, and that you are OK. What did the vet say?

Cedardave
03-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Yikes....

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-29-2016, 11:27 PM
You'll have to get him a copy of "Stunt flying for Dummies". I expect his pride is hurt more than his head.
I suggest you show him how to do a Trump comb-over to cover the ear with head feathers.

spiritbird
03-29-2016, 11:32 PM
Wow I could not handle a bird with that much energy. Glad he is OK minus a few feathers.

Mare
03-29-2016, 11:48 PM
I just now heard from the vet's office. "If he seems fine, keep him in till his feathers grow back a bit around the ear"..really.?..REALLY!??!! These people don't LIVE with this bird! I don't say this for convenience sake, this is a bird that depends on his freedom.

Sucre
03-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Oh, Amigo...

And, oh, Mare...How in the world are you going to control this force of nature? It's like when your kids were little and you grounded them and the punishment was harder on you than it was the kids...

PlaxMacaws
03-30-2016, 12:14 AM
I just now heard from the vet's office. "If he seems fine, keep him in till his feathers grow back a bit around the ear"..really.?..REALLY!??!! These people don't LIVE with this bird! I don't say this for convenience sake, this is a bird that depends on his freedom.Yeah, right...keep him in until the feathers around his ear grow back and he starts removing feathers from other parts of his body because of his frustration. I don't think so :(

I am so sorry to hear about Amigo's accident, Mare :(. But I'm relieved that he seems mostly okay. I do think you should keep him under close watch for a while (possibly not until his feathers grow back, but at least for a couple of days). Poor Amigo :offended:

kendrafitz
03-30-2016, 12:47 AM
Oh no!! Poor Amigo and poor you!!! :(

Lady
03-30-2016, 02:24 AM
OUCH! Poor baby, guess he got excited and the ground rushed up to meet him. I too think his pride is a bit hurt because he is such a good flyer. Guess he'll learn to be more careful when doing flips in the air so close to the ground. Good idea to keep a eye on him for a bit but idk how long you can keep him from getting back out there to get more practice.

Sounds like he's given you a new grey hair or two as well!

Mare
03-30-2016, 07:28 AM
I'm guessing at least five more grey hairs, Alice! :). Yeah, I'm thinking I'll let him go but my main concern is debris getting in his exposed ear opening. Most vets wouldn't have a clue, I suppose.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-31-2016, 12:12 PM
How's the invalid today? Being rude to the nursing staff? :)

Mare
03-31-2016, 04:06 PM
Haha :) he CAN be Jean-Pierre! He wanted outside, so bad yesterday, he was throwing a fit in his cage. I was outside most of the day, weeding, so I kept a good watch on him..he's totally back to his normal self! He kept flying over, landing on my back and trying to hump my head, sooo..I would have to say, all is well..?..?

The Pinkertons
03-31-2016, 06:21 PM
That's got to be exciting watching a U2 being a wild thing, on the flip side theirs a price for everything!

Mare
04-01-2016, 08:31 PM
You're right, Suzannne. The flip side is danger for Amigo,,,the wood trim around the house, the rubber lining around the car windows, the damage to the trees..I'm being serious, here..is NOTHING compared to Amigo's safety. But..his happiness means more to me AND him, than anything else.

Amigo banging into a post is the price he paid that day :)

The Pinkertons
04-02-2016, 04:02 AM
You're right, Suzannne. The flip side is danger for Amigo,,,the wood trim around the house, the rubber lining around the car windows, the damage to the trees..I'm being serious, here..is NOTHING compared to Amigo's safety. But..his happiness means more to me AND him, than anything else.

Amigo banging into a post is the price he paid that day :) Kudos to Amigo, I guess he'll live and learn, as we all must do, NO! :th_eek:

Penny
04-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Too bad they don't make helmets for our rowdy birds...

Macaw Lover
04-03-2016, 08:43 PM
If I had seen that happen I know I would not have dry pants. Glad to hear he is acting normally at least.

Mare
04-03-2016, 11:24 PM
:) thank you, Renee', my bladder wasn't a concern but my heart sure did sink! :)

Mare
04-13-2016, 11:03 PM
New Pinners!!..coming in :). Amigo lost some feathers when he hit that post..WHOOHOO!!..Got some new ones coming back in :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Lady
04-14-2016, 02:13 AM
Such beautiful snow white feathers!

Mare
04-14-2016, 02:52 AM
Such beautiful snow white feathers!

Soon to be!

The Pinkertons
04-14-2016, 05:11 AM
He's a big boy!

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-14-2016, 08:45 AM
It'll be good if they all grow back but a scar would suit his personality. :)

The Pinkertons
04-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Like the movie scar face :th_laughing8:

Mare
04-14-2016, 06:02 PM

Arrrgh..yes, Jean-Pierre, if only he'd have ripped some flesh but alas..they were only pulled out.. :)

Mare
04-20-2016, 12:38 AM
Pinners, coming in!

kendrafitz
04-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Wow, they are coming in quickly! Just looking at that pic I am itching to preen him. :)

PlaxMacaws
04-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Lookin' good, Amigo!

Lady
04-20-2016, 01:18 AM
Always a good sign~

Mare
04-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Wow, they are coming in quickly! Just looking at that pic I am itching to preen him. :)

Heehee! His is scratching them a lot with his foot, Kendra. I'll rub my thumb across them and I can tell they itch..he leans into my hand like a dog will when you scratch the perfect spot :). I've thought about rubbing a little coconut oil on them but unsure..

kendrafitz
04-23-2016, 01:42 AM
Mare - does he let you preen his pin feathers?

Lady
04-23-2016, 01:53 AM
I would try the coconut oil if he'll let you, it can't hurt him if he ingest it and if he leaves it alone on the pin feathers it will make the sheath softer given a bit of time.

Mare
04-23-2016, 04:30 AM
Mare - does he let you preen his pin feathers?

Yes, he does Kendra..he loves to be preened but these are just a tiny bit too short, yet. If I get too close to the blood part of the feather he'll jump, I think it hurts. I'll try and get you a pic tomorrow of the itty-bitty pins coming in above his nostril.

Alice, I will definitely try the coconut oil, thank you :)

Mare
04-24-2016, 07:30 PM
I tried the coconut oil and it seems to give him some relief, the tops of the pins are open and not so sharp. Here is a pic of the pins coming up behind his nostril..

Lady
04-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Great pic, yes his pin feathers look softer, I bet his skin feels a bit better too!

The Pinkertons
04-24-2016, 08:06 PM
He's is a very handsome boy !

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Nice muttonchops :)
Casper tends to loose a lot of feathers above his nose all at the same time (without crashing doing aerobatics), maybe he rubs the area too hard when it starts itching, I will use the coconut oil next time and hopefully he will appreciate it.

Mare
04-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Amigo says, thanks, Suzanne and Jean-Pierre! I bet the oil will help Casper, too..you may want to have Margaret administer it, though...just saying, heehee :)

kendrafitz
04-24-2016, 09:47 PM
There's my handsome friend. :) Glad he is feeling a bit of relief.