PDA

View Full Version : Luna & Anakin

LunaLovebird
03-24-2016, 11:44 AM
It's been a little while since I posted. Sorry if it's long!

Anakin has been coming along in leaps and bounds. We're finally out of quarantine, so I introduced the birds to one another. They got along great. Probably too well, actually, but they seem to have settled down. Despite the occasional mating display from Luna (Anakin just doesn't care), she's still decidedly my little snuggle bird.

I got to a point with Anakin while his cage was in the study where he would sit on the back of my chair, and eat from a food container next to my leg or hand without much hassle. No touching though. A few days ago, I bought a stand and moved his cage into the main area of the house next to Luna. I let them both out later in the afternoon and he looooved the extra space to fly around. He is a very good flyer. Puts Luna's clumsy attempts to shame. He sticks to the living area mainly, because that's where Luna hangs out and where the cages and perches are. Luna isn't so sure about sharing the numerous food bowls, so I have had to put out some more that are a bit longer to accomodate her highness.

Anyway, the best part of the new set up is that Anakin has been using way more of his cage and has finally started getting into his toys! No more sitting around all day talking to himself, and he's stopped regurgitating on his perch / play mat. It makes me so happy to see. He's also decided I'm okay to land on sometimes. He ended up perched on my lap and knee a few times earlier tonight. He's made so much prgoress since I brought him home.

Luna is still her perfect little self. She is currently sleeping in my shirt.

Some pictures:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

(Luna lives on the left, Anakin on the right)

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Lovely pix, great update. I suspect that if we left a box of seed with his own weight in parrot food for Casper to choose from we would soon have an empty box and a parrot weighing twice as much. :)

LunaLovebird
03-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Lovely pix, great update. I suspect that if we left a box of seed with his own weight in parrot food for Casper to choose from we would soon have an empty box and a parrot weighing twice as much. :)

Haha. I think if I left it open long enough, the same would be true here. I try to leave the blatant Anakin-bribery until after they've eaten a more healthy dinner, but he can't pass up a chance to eat sunflower seeds. Luna is just an opportunist, taking advantage of the situation.

spiritbird
03-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Appreciate you update. Sounds like all is well and your birds are so cute!

The Pinkertons
03-24-2016, 07:43 PM
I love your set-up, I really do think birds thrive when they share their captive life with one of their own kind, both are in good feather, bright sparkly eye's,! good to see them enjoying their full potential :goodjob:

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-24-2016, 09:52 PM
They look so cute in the photos and have such lovely names.

LunaLovebird
03-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone! They are such wonderful little creatures to share my house with. They have a vet appointment on Tuesday, so here's hoping they pass with flying colours.

They look so cute in the photos and have such lovely names.

Thanks. Their full names are Luna Lovebird and Anakin Flysquawker. :D

wingman
03-25-2016, 05:03 AM
Those are some cute Lovies!!!!

Penny
03-25-2016, 11:13 PM
They sure look lovely together! I'm glad they are getting along so well. :cool:

Mare
03-26-2016, 01:51 AM
Such cutie-pies! Nice update on Luna and Anakin, too! I like your playground set-up :)

LunaLovebird
03-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Thank you! They seem to really love it. They have a helix play perch and some food and water bowls attached to a favourite window that they spend a lot of their out time one. You can see it in the background of this photo:

Anakin decided to take a bath in said water bowl yesterday. Luna decided it was a cool idea, and then I had a wet window and two soggy birds.

And a video of Luna being Luna.

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 03:09 AM
A few recent snaps. :)

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 03:10 AM

Lady
05-01-2016, 03:32 AM
Oooo what's that pretty flower Luna's nibbling on:shrug:?

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 04:08 AM
It's a grevillea. They're native trees around here. I'm lucky to have a lot of bird safe flora at my doorstep.

The Pinkertons
05-01-2016, 04:22 AM
I tried growing Grevillea here in Southern California in zone 11 , it didn't thrive . They're beautiful.

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-01-2016, 08:35 AM
I've never seen grevillea in the UK even as house plants. Either they don't like the climate here or its a missed opportunity.
I love your pictures of these two birds, they always look happy, my favourite is the one of Luna after her bath. The pics in #11 are missing or stolen by the way.

Penny
05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
They just look so very happy! I love it.

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 09:46 AM
I've never seen grevillea in the UK even as house plants. Either they don't like the climate here or its a missed opportunity.
I love your pictures of these two birds, they always look happy, my favourite is the one of Luna after her bath. The pics in #11 are missing or stolen by the way.

Thank you! I think / hope they are happy here. Anakin is a work in progress still, but he's comfortable enough now to jump on shoulders and eat from hands. He's a sweetheart.

They probably hate the climate. I can't imagine they'd do well as house plants either. They're great plants. I saw a whole bunch of different varieties at the nursery down the road from me and considered planting a bunch of them here.

The pics are missing because I deleted them from imgur. I couldn't upload most of my pics on PP because the file size limit is set quite low.

Her bath pics are always adorable. That one I took yesterday. She tried to bath in a glass of apple juice, then after I stopped her she decided my ice cold water was better. We both got very wet.

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 09:48 AM
They just look so very happy! I love it.

Thank you :)

I took a few more today while they were watching the rain. Silly girl kept trying to lick the raindrops.

mdg1109
05-01-2016, 11:05 AM
They are adorable and I am glad to hear everyone is doing well!

Hope all goes well with their vet appointment!

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Last one on Thursday! :pinkgrin:

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Lovely stories, Luna licking the raindrops from the inside of the window is so cute. Perhaps you should get her an Ipad, Casper sits on Margarets's shoulder watching her do jigsaws, then he climbs down and moves the jigsaw puzzle pieces around the screen with his tongue.

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Lovely stories, Luna licking the raindrops from the inside of the window is so cute. Perhaps you should get her an Ipad, Casper sits on Margarets's shoulder watching her do jigsaws, then he climbs down and moves the jigsaw puzzle pieces around the screen with his tongue.

I have an iPad at the moment. She mostly likes eating the corners. I hadn't thought that she might like some kind of app, but she is much more into playing via chewing. I'll see if I can find something she might like. Thanks for the idea. :)

Pinkbirdy
05-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Boy are they cute !!! Nice cage set up :)

plax
05-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I love the pics! Both of them are precious and I'm glad they're handling the treatments so well and that the process is nearly over :D

The pics are missing because I deleted them from imgur. I couldn't upload most of my pics on PP because the file size limit is set quite low.Let me know the image file sizes that our site is rejecting and I'll consider raising the maximum file size limit for photos uploaded to posts.

LunaLovebird
05-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Tony, it's fine. I wasn't complaining. I understand that storing all those photos costs you space and money. Many of the pics in question were from my camera, and the photos from that were about 8MB a piece. It's now broken, so it isn't a problem. It handles a few phone pictures at a time, and that's all I really need. :)

plax
05-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Tony, it's fine. I wasn't complaining. I understand that storing all those photos costs you space and money. Many of the pics in question were from my camera, and the photos from that were about 8MB a piece. It's now broken, so it isn't a problem. It handles a few phone pictures at a time, and that's all I really need. :)Okay, understood.. no problem at all. If you ever decide that an adjustment would help please let me know :)