PDA

View Full Version : Chattering

allicastery
03-24-2016, 05:31 AM
My baby cockatiel (about a month and a half old) has been making these chattering noises which almost sounds like he's cold, but there's no way the boy could be cold since its always 80 degrees in the building! Anyways, he shows no signs of illness other than his eyes are usually closed. I don't know too much about cockatiel behaviors and I have never seen one do this before. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated!

The Pinkertons
03-24-2016, 06:08 AM
Hi allicastery, I'm pretty sure someone here, will be able to answer your concern's shortly. Are you hand feeding your baby, if you got your baby from a breeder, I would recommend you my also want to contact them and express your concerns.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Does he perk up when you approach and is he eating well? If he is sleepy all the time I would get him looked at by an avian vet.

spiritbird
03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Hello and welcome to PP. We are glad you came here and I hope your baby cockatiel is thriving. Cockatiels often regress when they go to a new home right after weaning. Especially when they're as young as yours. The best thing to do is go back to the breeder, and get them to show you how to hand feed him. Please keep us posted as to your progress. Have you giving this baby a name yet?

allicastery
03-24-2016, 03:53 PM
I think I'm going to name him Pepper or Peppy for short. The store I got him from gets them as very young babies. Actually the reason I can't bring him home right now is because he is on his final week or two of formula. He doesn't currently live with me (which breaks my heart) so I don't know how well he's eating at all other than I can see he's on a seed diet (which I plan to quickly change). The store is a REALLY good store, you have to have at least owned a bird to work there, and they don't seem worried about him.

The Pinkertons
03-24-2016, 05:24 PM
I think I'm going to name him Pepper or Peppy for short. The store I got him from gets them as very young babies. Actually the reason I can't bring him home right now is because he is on his final week or two of formula. He doesn't currently live with me (which breaks my heart) so I don't know how well he's eating at all other than I can see he's on a seed diet (which I plan to quickly change). The store is a REALLY good store, you have to have at least owned a bird to work there, and they don't seem worried about him.
OH, ok we were under the impression that he was already home with you, "My baby cockatiel (about a month and a half old) has been making these chattering noises which almost sounds like he's cold, but there's no way the boy could be cold since its always 80 degrees in the building! Anyways, he shows no signs of illness other than his eyes are usually closed. I don't know too much about cockatiel behaviors and I have never seen one do this before. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated"

allicastery
03-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Sorry for the confusion x-x

allicastery
03-24-2016, 05:44 PM
To be honest I may just be very paranoid. This is my first bird and I want him to have the happiest healthiest life he can have.

The Pinkertons
03-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Sorry for the confusion x-x
No problem, Birds are such complex creatures , we tend to overthink how to best serve their needs. NO question is ever to small, wrong, silly. After all, that's what this community is all about. To enhance the lives of companion birds. Through our Collective Efforts/Vision, From Everyone here On P.P., We strive to Fulfill that Mission,

spiritbird
03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
We completely understand your feelings.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Indeed, when Casper first moved in here Margaret used to dread taking the cover off his cage in the morning because she was sure he was going to die in the night because she had done something wrong. They look so fragile and small but they are quite hardy really otherwise they wouldn't last long in the wild.

allicastery
03-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Thank you for understanding. I'm sure I'll adjust at some point when he comes home and I get used to how a healthy bird acts.