PDA

View Full Version : whats your fav thing to do with your bird

Birdboy
05-14-2013, 06:22 AM
so what is your favourite thing to do with your parrot/bird?

My favourite thing to do is play on the floor with keiko and interact with her toys with her.

Turquoise
05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Well, with Roscoe my 'Feathered Sidekick' macaw I like to hold him & tussle with him. He likes to chew on an old jacket I wear when I hold him as it doesn't matter if he chews chunks out of the plastic zipper. He likes to feed my hand & call me Angel (his brother's name) & he likes to cuddle during these times.

With Angel, my other Catalina macaw, since he can't stand I hold him in my lap & scritch his neck & head. His favorite interaction with me is to hang on his enclosure door when I walk in to get his food bowls & chew on said jacket. He will hold on to the door with one foot & put the other one on my shoulder to steady himself as he chews. I do have to watch his beak at these times as he will nip at my face.

Ruby Jewel has only been home with me for 2 weeks so we are still learning each others' ways & personality. When I take her out, she just wants to go to the play perch, but I hold her on my arm for a few mins of quality time to get her used to me. In the last 3 days she has started letting me scratch her neck, back & wings. I took her outside for a few mins yesterday & she was clinging super close to me. Once I brought her inside, she was still hugging close & when I put her in her enclosure she wanted me to scratch her head for a few mins. Going outside helped to 'break the ice' with her since she wasn't sure of all of it & I was protector.

Layla Belle my ekkie, aka ~The Diva~ Is not a huggy/kissy type. She much prefers I stand close & talk to her. She is my best talker, but isn't quite as easy to understand if you don't know her as my macaw boys. She does let me kiss the top of her beak & when she is in the mood I can scratch her neck. Her standoffish personality is what I love most about her.

Peta, my pineapple green cheek conure loves to just sit on my shoulder & preen me. i have to wear a shirt with a collar so she doesn't preen the moles on my neck. She is a very loving little girl & just hanging out with me is all she wants in this world.

My parakeets are not hand tame. I never made an effort to tame them as I just like hearing & seeing them flit around from limb to limb. And I love listening to their sing~songs, it makes me feel like I am in the tropical rain forest. Mine spend more time entertaining themselves on their portable play perches than with me, but I am in the same room as they all are during these times since they live in the living room rather than a separate bird room.

keepsmiling
05-14-2013, 08:18 AM
That was good to read De' Andrea. Glad that Ruby Jewel is settling in!:thanks4sharingthumb
My favorite thing to do is like Blake's. I love to play with Holly and we tussle on the floor.:th_heart:

jtbirds
05-14-2013, 10:41 PM
My favorite thing is to take my birds around and talk to the others, my birds now hold conversations when I go to another. I say to baby girl say hi to Reuben and she goes hi or hi Reuben and then Reuben talks back and they hold even more conversations after this as well like how are you and laugh at each other. Great way to spend time with multiple birds plus they get to know each ther so when we have a moment f the birds explode and all fly off playgyms for whatever reason chances of injury arnt high:)!

Pinkbirdy
05-27-2013, 03:27 PM
My favorite thing to do is have all my birds out at the same time [except my lory] . Im so happy watching them play and seeing who makes there way to the couch to be with me.:)

Mare
05-27-2013, 10:17 PM
My fav thing to do with the Sassy is, cook. She loves hanging off my shirt and checking out the action. She'll sometimes steal bites of what ever I'm chopping up at that moment! She also likes to supervise the dish washing, sometimes I think she might jump in!
My fav thing to do with Amigo is, go on walks. He'll fly from my shoulder to tree then back to shoulder. I love it when he flys to a tree and let's me get way ahead of him. Then I can really see him soar, beauty in motion!

crazyanimal
05-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Jayde, my yellow naped doesn't like to be held much. She will sit on my finger and I kind of play with her like she is a plane. She loves it. She also loves it when I just stand next to her while she is on her cage door and talk and sing and coo to her. She pins her eyes and fans her tail in enjoyment. (Most amazons are known for this behaviour when aggressive or warning signs but they also do it from excitement or enjoyment.) The only thing to watch for is getting an amazon over excited...they can also bite.

Mateo, blue fronted amazon, is in hormone mode right now and cannot be handled. He will sit on his cage and loves to talk to me. We sing together, talk together, he copies me, I copy him. All verbal banter and he truly enjoys this.

Bubs, red throated conure, is not tame and cannot be handled. He is even unpredictable when standing and wanting to talk to him so I do it from a distance and he seems to enjoy it more as I am also not pushing myself on him.

Caster, fiery shouldered conure, tends to spend most of his day with Kaylee but he has his "own" times when he wants attention. Those times usually means him just sitting on my shoulder and me talking to him. He will step up and let me kiss his head and then he's had enough. LOL

Kaylee, crimson bellied conure, is semi-tame. I know that sounds funny but she was a tame baby but due to her relationship with Caster, she has become more bonded to him. I can't pat her, she tends to just sit on my shoulder when she see fit.

Buddy, quaker, is not tame. Due to past abuse there is no way I will ever be able to get my hands near him. I've had him now for 10 years and I still cannot touch him. He does enjoy sitting beside my head on the couch when I am watching tv. Or he will sit on the arm of the couch next to me. I just have to be aware he is there so I do not move my hand the wrong way and get it bitten. :) He also loves me talking to him.

Molly, eastern rosella, is a very old girl who is very "to herself". She will step up but no hands on. She loves me to whistle to her more then talk to her.

Beebo, cockatiel, as most cockatiels loves to have his head rub. He lets me help remove the feather coverings on his crest.

Harley, golden conure... I should say, what do we do not like to do??? LOL I can do and love to do so many things with this guy. I am his first favorite thing... there are many times he just sit and cuddle...other times we wrestle and play ... play peek a boo under the blanket on the couch.... the list goes on and on. The only thing we do not do together is work... (he hates it when he knows I have to work).

Most of my birds are rescues/rehomes...hence quite a few cannot be handled.

Mare
05-28-2013, 06:46 AM
I never thought about a bird not being friendly or wanting to interact, before. I know it happens but just haven't experienced it myself. Kudos to you Delta! Kudos for having the strength!

roxynoodle
05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Merlin just wants to cuddle and be petted. Sometimes we both fall asleep, lol! Although I also enjoy doing her sound imitations with her, or how she makes me sing when she wants to dance.

Sometimes Pete wants to be very cuddly, too, or sometimes he wants to roll around wrestling with my fingers. Most days it's some of each. I admit I also think it's really funny when I let him watch Criminal Minds and he laughs maniacally when the serial killers attack people, and cheers them on, lol!

Rowdy might want to be cuddly and preen my face and hair or she might just want to fly around and play with the parrot things. She doesn't like to be touched though with fingers so I pet her with my face, lol!

crazyanimal
05-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I never thought about a bird not being friendly or wanting to interact, before. I know it happens but just haven't experienced it myself. Kudos to you Delta! Kudos for having the strength!

Thank you but it is nothing really. It is just understanding birds, their behaviours and realizing they are still wild animals. I am happy that they are happy. I just want them to have a good life and if that life means no physical interaction then that is fine with me. I have Harley who gives me all the cuddles I need. :)

Mare
05-28-2013, 05:16 PM
There are many moments when I wish my birds were more into their own space and not mine. Not the case around here, though. They are wild at heart but I also know that most are flock oriented, so, I guess, we are their flock and accept them as such. :)

aliray
05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Audrey Criminal Minds is one of my favorites as well. I love the characters on there

conuremom
05-31-2013, 12:22 AM
Forrest and I cook together bake that is. Also we take showers together everyday. He starts saying "I want shower" and won't stop until he finally gets me in the shower. We do almost everything together. He is always in the mix no matter what we are doing including eating from our plates. The only break my husband and I get from Forrest is when we put him in his playroom for about 2 hours per day and then he goes to bed at 8:30 in his cage. That is the only time he is caged unless we leave the house. He has a boing in our den and also sits on the back of the couch with us. Of course I have to put cage liner behind the couch because that is where he always poops. Nacho basically prefers to hang on his cage and about 30 minutes at a time will get on my shoulder and snuggle in my hair or give me kisses then he wants to go back to cage. (Door open of course) with outside sisal perches and a play top.

yvette
05-31-2013, 02:56 PM
I love giving my flock spray baths!! All of them!
I see how much they enjoy it, and its so good for there feathers!

headfeathermistress
05-31-2013, 05:51 PM
I like talking with them and the best is cuddling! Not all of them will but enough to get my fix

spiritbird
05-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Nice thread and fun to read. My 2 parakeets are such a joy to watch and listen to. They really do have a mind of their own.
Still working on taming.

tiffnmango
06-06-2013, 11:32 PM
I have to say cuddling up with Mango is definitely at the top of my list. He is such a little snuggle bug. But I enjoy anytime I get to spend with him. Even if its just watching him play or giving him bites off my plate at dinner. I laugh and say he's my roommate because when I lived in Arkansas I was 8 or 9 hours away from absolutely everyone I knew and he was the only one that was there with me. I would come home from work and we'd start our nights off by cuddling for a while and showering and then we'd watch movies or play. Sometimes we've even have "conversations" as I like to call them. He hasn't learned to actually talk yet, but I'll ask him questions and he'll make noises back.

I have to say the best feeling in the world is when I come home from where-ever i've been all day and I hear him squawking when he hears me unlock the door. He only does that for me. I can be with someone else and they will unlock the door and Mango is silent, but if I unlock the door he goes nuts! Almost as if its some weird connection we have. As soon as I come in I start saying Hello and walk over to him and he reaches out his beak and gives me lots of kisses!

Blancaej
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
I would have to say I love cooking with Quincy. I do the prep work while he is on my shoulder. I have a t perch in the kitchen now so he hangs out during the cooking part there. He also loves to hang out and eat off our plates, too. Of course he can clear the table if he gets to close to other family members. They don't trust him! LOL!:th_nervous1: He also loves drinking my water and stealing ice cubes to eat!

I love taking Savannah outside with me and I love carrying her around the house. I'm sure I will have a longer list of what I like to do with her as our time together grows!

I also just love hearing them both talk and make noises. It never gets old!

alnoble89
06-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Cookie and I do lots of cuddling and I love when I am cleaning and she chases after me. With Alexis I love to play she will swing around on my fingers and bee a goof. I also like to cuddle with her. Kiwi doesn't like to hang out with me but he loves playing Call of Duty with his daddy.