PDA

View Full Version : Its Eagle Cam Time

spiritbird
03-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Mom Eagle sitting on her 2 eggs. I love to watch the chicks grow up.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
03-16-2016, 02:42 AM
This camera is in HD and so very clear. Both mom and dad sit on the two eggs. One egg laid end of Feb. and one first week of March.

spiritbird
03-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Is anyone watching he eagle parents? Still on the two eggs and such good little nest keepers they are.

Mare
03-17-2016, 07:27 PM
I just tuned in and am watching! Aren't they magnificent birds? The nest almost looks they hired an architect to build it, beautiful.

spiritbird
03-18-2016, 12:46 PM
The Eagle was attacked last night about 3:30 am by an owl. I am so glad it was not hurt and the eggs remain safe.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-18-2016, 04:17 PM
Is that a common occurrence? I am surprised that an owl is prepared to take on an eagle, even if it is at a disadvantage of being sat on a nest.

spiritbird
03-18-2016, 05:20 PM
I can only imagine what those talons would do to the Owl. But all Raptors have talons to catch and eat the meat. I hope nothing else happens to interfere with the family to be.

spiritbird
03-19-2016, 04:25 PM
This is a video of nest deliveries last year. Awesome

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]!

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-19-2016, 05:58 PM
I've just tuned in again and it is snowing. Eagle looks a bit glum. The nest is about a thousand miles nearer the equator than we are. The same latitude as Spain. I would complain if I were you. :)

spiritbird
03-27-2016, 01:14 PM
A bit of sad news for the Eagles in Pa. The female has not been seen for over 24 hours and that is a huge concern. Dad has remained on the nest but for how long! The eggs are overdue to hatch. Give them an Easter prayer. This couple has been together for more than 8 years and the same nest.

spiritbird
03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Female returned to nest with what they are calling a bruise on her beak. They say she is ok though.

spiritbird
03-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Very sad news today. The first chick to hatch has died. We can only guess why. It was seen alive and well early this morning while being fed.
The moderators are saying Dad is laying on the one remaining egg and the dead baby chick. :'(

spiritbird
03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
The PA game commission just confirmed the death of the first born chick. By law they cannot intervene.

From our work releasing eagles in New York, about 2.5 adults would survive for every 20 (1 in 8). Mortality is highest for eagles in their first year of life, especially their first six months. The first winter is crucial. Some biologists (two studies) have estimated mortality as high as 72 % within one year of fledging (leaving the nest). Another study estimated that only 11 % of eagles were alive after 3 years of life. In general, we believe that only about 1 in 10 eagles survive to adulthood ( 5 yrs of age).

-

The Pinkertons
03-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Lifespan of Eagles have the potential to live up to 30yrs. (PREDATOR VS. PREY ) Whereas Parrots lifespans depending on species well into 80yrs. Worst culprit in the scheme of things undoubtedly Humans.

spiritbird
03-31-2016, 10:03 PM
They continue sitting on the single egg but no longer rolling it much. Its been a long time now, actually pass the supposed date of hatch. I hope these parents don't give up but they just might. Its possible they would breed again this year.

Mare
03-31-2016, 11:48 PM
Thanks for keeping us up to date, Dianne. Such good parents, I hope one of the babies make it..such a rough/tough life :(

spiritbird
04-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Its been over 40 days for the second egg. The experts say that it would take a miracle for the egg to hatch now. Very sad because the two Eagles put so much effort into having two healthy chicks this year. They are not first time parents.

spiritbird
04-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I am thinking this is a learning curve for the male Eagle because he is now the only one of the pair laying on the egg. Its not going to hatch at this point. Female has not been seen for a few days so I guess she instinctively knows the egg is not fertile.

Here is another egg that will not hatch [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
04-02-2016, 11:45 PM
It is not the wing of the Eagle that enables it to soar to great height
Nor is it the feet of the Eagle although they've impressive might
It is not the eye of the Eagle that carries it to where sanction abounds
But it is the head of the Eagle that lifts it to higher ground!!

Thank you my dear Eagles for each and every year your provide us with a time of education and beauty into your private and delicate lives... heart emoticon

The Pinkertons
04-03-2016, 12:32 AM
It is not the wing of the Eagle that enables it to soar to great height
Nor is it the feet of the Eagle although they've impressive might
It is not the eye of the Eagle that carries it to where sanction abounds
But it is the head of the Eagle that lifts it to higher ground!!

Thank you my dear Eagles for each and every year your provide us with a time of education and beauty into your private and delicate lives... heart emoticon Beautiful ! survival of the fittest. In the natural world things are just excepted, and they go along with the course of Creation. Thank you, Dianne for your efforts in sharing the majestic, and very private world, of this Regal Creature.

spiritbird
04-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Can you believe it the male eagle is still sitting and rolling the non viable egg after all this time. What a champ!

Mare
04-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Aww..poor buddy :(.