PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Enrichment

The Pinkertons
03-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Warmer day's are coming time to make plans for some safe outdoors fresh air and sunshine. Been wanting to get my birds an outdoor Aviary for so long, I finally got one, would love to enclose the whole back yard (if I had money to burn) just added this cargo net / fashioned like a hammock , think I'll make a sign Welcome to Margaritaville and hang it on their door. Anyone else making plan's ? Here are some pic's...

spiritbird
03-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Very nice. Your birds will love the freedom. What do you do with those pink feathers that fall off?

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-15-2016, 11:06 PM
Its hardly ever warm enough here to make it worth while building a permanent outdoor cage. When we do get a nice day Casper's cage is dragged out of the front door so he can get some vitamin D.

The rest of the time he just gets a quarter of an hour sitting on a shoulder before we both go in doors to warm up again.

He also occasionally gets to spend some time in the Magnolia tree if we are sitting in the garden and can supervise.

Mare
03-16-2016, 01:01 AM
I love your cage, Suzanne..what are you using as a shade cover? Tim brought this one home, a few years back..it was used as someone's breeding macaws cage :(. Sassy enjoys it, more so when butthead isn't hassling her, though.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

We use palm fronds to shade part of it.

lolsavannahh
03-16-2016, 01:39 AM
Ah I love it! I have been dying to make an aviary for my baby! Looks fantastic!

The Pinkertons
03-16-2016, 04:14 AM
I love your cage, Suzanne..what are you using as a shade cover? Tim brought this one home, a few years back..it was used as someone's breeding macaws cage :(. Sassy enjoys it, more so when butthead isn't hassling her, though.

We use palm fronds to shade part of it.

The Pinkertons
03-16-2016, 04:25 AM
Very nice. Your birds will love the freedom. What do you do with those pink feathers that fall off? I COULD MAKE COOL JEWELRY WITH THEM BUT THE TRUTH IS ... I sweep them up and throw them in the trash with the rest of the mess they make. :eeeek:

The Pinkertons
03-16-2016, 04:35 AM
Its hardly ever warm enough here to make it worth while building a permanent outdoor cage. When we do get a nice day Casper's cage is dragged out of the front door so he can get some vitamin D.

The rest of the time he just gets a quarter of an hour sitting on a shoulder before we both go in doors to warm up again.

He also occasionally gets to spend some time in the Magnolia tree if we are sitting in the garden and can supervise.

3907 Casper is a very lucky bird, I am amazed how You and Mare's birds do not fly away, I wish I could let mine fly free . Casper is Beautiful, is he a Blue Fronted Amazon.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Yes he's a BFA who doesn't fly unless he really has to, far preferring the use of Mum or Dad's taxi (shoulder) to get where he wants to go.
He has only spooked once when outdoors, at an outdoor luncheon hosted by my Mother's care home. He just flew about ten feet, I could see him looking over his shoulder wondering how he was going to turn around and come back. Realising his flying lessons hadn't reached the page about making U turns he just landed on the grass and started walking back.
We don't take him near the road outside the house in case he flies in front of a passing truck or bus and we don't let him walk about in the garden (he has to stay in his tree) in case he wanders out of the gate.
In places where there is no traffic we are more relaxed about having him on our shoulders but are very careful on the boat as I would hate for him to try and land on the water and have to jump in to save him.

The Pinkertons
03-17-2016, 04:31 AM
Yes he's a BFA who doesn't fly unless he really has to, far preferring the use of Mum or Dad's taxi (shoulder) to get where he wants to go.
He has only spooked once when outdoors, at an outdoor luncheon hosted by my Mother's care home. He just flew about ten feet, I could see him looking over his shoulder wondering how he was going to turn around and come back. Realising his flying lessons hadn't reached the page about making U turns he just landed on the grass and started walking back.
We don't take him near the road outside the house in case he flies in front of a passing truck or bus and we don't let him walk about in the garden (he has to stay in his tree) in case he wanders out of the gate.
In places where there is no traffic we are more relaxed about having him on our shoulders but are very careful on the boat as I would hate for him to try and land on the water and have to jump in to save him.
Casper reminds me of my Galah, KIWI R.I.P ... She is Sorley missed. Bentley once flew over my 2 story house (and this was with flights clipped) into the middle of the street, thank God he didn't get hit by a car. I almost had a heart attack, I ran around the corner afraid of what I might find, there he was standing in the middle of the street. A woman was coming out of her house to stanch him up! I grabbed him up so fast, the lady say's oh is that your bird! I replied YESSS HE IS. But Kiwi would follow me around outside while I did gardening, Didn't have much interest in flying the coop! in my neck of the wood's theirs hawks, and feral cat's that's another issue to be concerned about.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Haha the lady thought she had a free parrot. I once found a donkey wandering about in the back lanes. I couldn't work out which field he had come out of. I made a temporary halter out of a tow rope and was wondering how I was going to fit him in the back of the Volvo saloon when his owner rocked up in a Land Rover. I had mixed emotions, I would have loved to take him home despite having nowhere to keep him but was very glad that he was back with his rightful owner. :)
I think Casper, like Kiwi, knows he is in a pretty cushy roost here, especially after his last gig, and isn't going to let us out of his sight.

The Pinkertons
03-17-2016, 03:17 PM
:goodjob:

Macaw Lover
03-26-2016, 05:47 PM
I have a used 8 ft octagon aviary that needs to go up. I want to put it on a concrete pad and need to get a couple of estimates for that. What I eventually want to add is a second one that I can leave Kalea out in, but one she should not be able to tear apart as I know she will with the octagon one since that does not have the heavier wire on it. I need to get that in the works to see arms, legs and my first born it might cost.

One of the things I need to also figure out is what type of covering to place on top. I get snow here and a couple of weeks ago had 50 mph winds so need to keep that in mind too.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Get the guy who does the shuttering and makes the base to set some brackets into the concrete that the uprights of the octagon can be bolted to. That way, if the roof is well attached to the uprights it isn't going to do a Mary Poppins.