PDA

View Full Version : Bath For LSC2

mdg1109
03-04-2016, 02:02 AM
Hello all:

Just a general question about how often to bathe Charlie? The breeder said in the winter time 2-3 times a week to help keep his skin moist and then in the summer at least twice a week.

I have not noticed him developing the powder yet that cockatoos develop but I have given him a bath and he really did not seem to enjoy it. I ran the tap in my kitchen sink on lukewarm water and let the water drip on him. He was not to crazy about it and actually tried to climb out of the sink. The crazy thing is that he likes the blow dryer though!

I think I will mist him next time but I am afraid of getting his face wet.

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle & Charlie

Lady
03-04-2016, 02:45 AM
Why are you concerned about getting his face wet? Check out this article [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

mdg1109
03-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Good morning, Alice:

I was concerned because I watched a video on Youtube about how to give him a bath and it said not to get his face wet. Thank you for posting this link, it is very helpful and informative. I think I am going to try and do the shower with him. I will follow the stops on the link you provided and try it that way. I do not want him to be afraid of the water and the breeder I got him from had giving him baths so I don't know what is going on.

Thanks again.

spiritbird
03-04-2016, 01:13 PM
It is best to take him in the bathroom a few times with you just so he can hear the water running and know you are under the water. Shower perches will be a necessity in this case. Next step would be to have him in the shower with you but not so he gets directly in the water. Next step is to let him get wet. Try to make it fun for him and have some treats available. You can even get him used to the sound of the hair dryer and eventually dry him like that on medium to low heat setting.

mdg1109
03-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Dianne it is the funniest thing, he loves the hair dryer. After I have bathed him in the sink I have turned the dryer on warm and let him sit in my lap while I dry him with the dryer and he loves it, he sits still and actually seems to enjoy it.

spiritbird
03-04-2016, 06:11 PM
When I dried the grey Rosie she would turn her rear to the drier and seems to love the air flow.

Mare
03-05-2016, 05:40 AM
No need to worry about getting Charlie's face wet! :). I believe it's good for these guys/gals!

mdg1109
03-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Thank you Mare. It is bath day for Charlie today so I am going to try and just put a little bit of lukewarm water in the kitchen sink and see how he does with that.

JLcribber
03-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Use the blowdryer to your advantage. What I do is start up the blowdryer and then start spraying mist into the air stream ( now it's "raining"). Just a little at first, then more etc. You might even fire up the vacuum on top of all that to get him even more interested.

Amanda loves the spray point blank range right in the face. If I aim elsewhere she moves to get back in place.

The Pinkertons
03-08-2016, 12:10 AM
The sink may be what is scary for your bird, a spray bottle set on a fine mist while on their perch or in the cage, mist from above like a fine misty rain, keep away from drafts, do this early in the day you don't need a blow dryer, in nature no one is blow drying their feathers. but I guess if your bird loves it then go for it! :th_wink::giggle:

Mare
03-08-2016, 03:17 AM
Today was a rainy day here and Amigo loves to be out in it, rain on his face is no problem :). I've noticed with my other birds that they, at first, don't like the spray bottle but once they get over the initial shock of it..they're ALL in!

mdg1109
03-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Charlie did better with his bath yesterday. I started off by letting him wander around on the kitchen counter for a bit. I think he is getting used to the idea, but I will probably end up misting him. He absolutely loves the hair dryer and he likes the vacuum too.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-08-2016, 12:35 PM
When Casper first came to us he hadn't had a bath for at least ten years and got quite angry when we tried to spray him. We have tried him in the sink with the tap running but all he wanted to do was climb out so next we tried him in the bath with the shower attachment which he was more OK with. Recently Margaret bought a spray bottle that sprays a very fine mist and he absolutely loves that. So it pays to experiment. :)

The Pinkertons
03-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Bentley's modest about his showers, I have to stand far back and mist, then he will open his wings up and bow wiggle his tail feathers. Bella exhibits great pleasure in shower time. "Weather permitting" outside in their aviary, I use the garden hose set on a soft soaking rain, I raise the hose high in the sky so it fall's like a natural rain shower. then I leave them alone (in aviary) to dry off and preen in natural "filtered sunlight", They don't like me to blast water in their face, and I don't either, I try to emulate a natural gentle rainfall , if I stand far back they enjoy it more, I guess they like their privacy, I try to respect their needs.
I don't like anyone watching me shower and drying off :( anyway every bird is different just like people, as another poster said just have to experiment. :th_wink:

Mare
03-09-2016, 12:20 AM
Suzanne, most of Amigos showers are with the spray hose, too :).

spiritbird
03-09-2016, 12:45 AM
You should see how Linnies react to my fine mist spray. They open wings and hang upside down to get every little feather exposed to the water. It's hard to get a video and spray at the same time. The finest spray I could find was in the amphibian department of a pet store.

The Pinkertons
03-09-2016, 04:13 AM
Suzanne, most of Amigos showers are with the spray hose, too :).
:th_wink:

Penny
03-10-2016, 01:23 AM
When Kiki was still brand new we were brand new to owning birds of our own. We read all the stories about how to introduce parrots to showers so they don't get afraid and my husband set up a perch just outside the shower so she could see that the shower wouldn't hurt her. We were planning on using her in-shower perch the next time. She decided waiting was unneeded and flew right over and landed on my hubby's shoulder to enjoy the spray! Left a few marks on his shoulder and we got a laugh and learned a valuable lesson. Never expect your parrot to do what you expect...

Mare
03-10-2016, 04:26 AM
I love that, Penny! Great story! Reading is nothing like experiencing, for sure :)