PDA

View Full Version : Rrrrucka-rrrrucka-rrucka sound?

Mare
05-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Does anyone else have a male U2 that makes this sound? It's the most bizarre sound, of many, I've ever heard him make. I have it on video but can't post videos from my IPad. I'm going try and get my computer savvy daughter, to help me tomorrow when she is here, to put it on youtube, then try again.
He will lay way back, while grabbing hold with his feet, then lean way forward. The whole time doing his rrrrucka-rrrrucka sounds. These birds are SPECIAL and oh, so, funny!
I'm guessing its some kind of territorial warning?, maybe?

roxynoodle
05-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't know but I will be waiting to see the video, lol!

jtbirds
05-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Working with many many birds, a lot of the cockatoos I meet are umbrellas an they all make such odd sounds, many of the sounds they come up with but if you have a umbrella that was raised by a more wild generations they have some very odd wild natural calls you will never hear from most umbrellas, I know a pair of wild caught umbrellas that make the oddest sounds, that sound nothing like a more captive line of umbrellas. So it is hard to say what you are describing is a natural wild call or maybe something he came up with.

Mare
05-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Thanks, Justin! Amigo does this only in the evening, the Sassy Goffin's doesn't do this, not yet, anyway, she has learned to imitate some of Amigo's sounds but not this one. Another thing he does is tap his foot, no voice involved, very interesting, though. I have that, also, on video and will share when I figure out how to.

keepsmiling
05-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Videos yay!!.. post 'em up!:th_yah:

jtbirds
05-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks, Justin! Amigo does this only in the evening, the Sassy Goffin's doesn't do this, not yet, anyway, she has learned to imitate some of Amigo's sounds but not this one. Another thing he does is tap his foot, no voice involved, very interesting, though. I have that, also, on video and will share when I figure out how to.

The foot tapping is ok this is a wild trait of cockatoos you don't see much anymore:), it seems amigo may be an older generation or he came from a very good breeder that breed back to wild blood every few years. This is said to be a dominance behavior they express but I believe it is just a way for communicating, I usually tap back what they are tapping just to be not rude;) lol, I've only seem a couple others do it and they were wild caughts. Very interesting he does such things!

Mare
05-15-2013, 02:46 AM
I don't know Amigos beginnings. My friend had bought him from a pet store, in southern Cal, and was told he was 5yrs. old but not much else. She owned a CAG at the time and was not familiar with U2s. I believe she learned the hard way, as did we when we took him over! For all I know, he could be wild-caught. His instincts are strong and he's adapted well to flying freely outdoors.
My daughter just rolled in, tired, and says she'll try and help me get some videos up, in the morning.

Honesty
05-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Look forward to hearing these clucking sounds on video :th_chickendance:

roxynoodle
05-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Well, he shouldn't be wild caught unless he's much older than what your friend was told. I can't remember the exact year bringing wild caught parrots in was banned but I'm pretty sure it was in the 80s. Now I want to go look it up, lol!

Ok, the importation of wild caught parrots into the US was stopped in 1992. For some reason I had 1985 stuck in my head, but I was wrong.

Mare
05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Well, we struck out on trying to load the videos on to youtube from my IPad. My daughter isn't sure why it kept failing, she will be back this evening and wants to keep trying, so, anyway, we've not given up hope. :)

jtbirds
05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Roxy he may not be wild caught but if cockatoos are breed correctly they need breed back to a wild generation every few years, so if this was all done he could still have wild traits:), I've met many that have wild traits but are young, this is all due to good breeding.

roxynoodle
05-16-2013, 12:10 AM
My answer was based on Mare questioning whether Amigo could be wild caught. If he's only 9 or 10 years old that seems very unlikely.

jtbirds
05-16-2013, 12:20 AM
My answer was based on Mare questioning whether Amigo could be wild caught. If he's only 9 or 10 years old that seems very unlikely.

O I am sorry Audrey I thought you were meaning it towards me as I didn't mean he was wild caught, I should have been more in depth:p... Yes 9 or 10 is a huge probably not unless he was an illegal... Thanks for clarifying it was my fault:)

Mare
05-16-2013, 03:05 AM
If the pet store owner was correct with Amigo's age, when selling to my friend, then he is now 14yrs. old. He does not have a leg band which is not unheard of, (Sassy doesn't either), I know this. He would still be too young to be imported legally.

roxynoodle
05-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Merlin doesn't have a leg band either. I don't know if she never did, or if it was removed at some point.

Wild caught imports have an open band with 3 letters and 3 numbers that can be traced back to a USDA quarantine station. Let me find a picture here that shows what Pete's looks like. Of course that could be removed as well :) And yes, I'm quite sure illegal birds do still get in, but I bet it's harder to bring in a U2 than something like a finch :th_biggrin:

Here's a pic you can see it in. If anyone would like me to I can try to get a close up of it.

jtbirds
05-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I'll see if I can dig up my wild caught bands from my wild caught birdies I have taken in( the both off them have passed a wild caught grey and U2)... I take most of the bands off my guys as It is a risk IMO and I don't want them to have it so I take it and save it, so if I ever needed it.

betty
06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Well, we struck out on trying to load the videos on to youtube from my IPad. My daughter isn't sure why it kept failing, she will be back this evening and wants to keep trying, so, anyway, we've not given up hope. :)

Try downloading to photobucket, then post link to share, i do it all the time

Honesty
06-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Try downloading to photobucket, then post link to share, i do it all the timeI do this too. It is so much easier.

Welcome to the forum Betty:)

Mare
06-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks Betty for the suggestion. My problem with that is my IPad's photobucket will accept 'pics' from my photo library but not videos. I've been told before that the only way to post a video here is to put it on youtube then post it. We are having a tough time with this also. I'm thinking it may be my IPad and just talked to my daughter, again, about this and we will try again, I'm crossing my fingers!

Minamommy
01-17-2014, 01:06 AM
I am having 10 fits with my iPad putting stuff on here too. Mare my vet took Mina's leg band off at her first visit. He said you plan to keep her forever right? I said OMG yes! He said he recommends cutting them off because they can get caught on stuff very easy or rope and string can wrap around it. Do you think maybe a vet cut off Amigo's too?