PDA

View Full Version : Bumps on Nare - need help w/ identification

treelane
02-29-2016, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure if it's a problem but my DYH Amazon has two bumps on his nare. I wonder if it might be papillomavirus? Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

PlaxMacaws
02-29-2016, 02:27 AM
Hello, and welcome to PP...

I'm sorry to say that I am not sure what the disfigurement on your bird's cere might be. My recommendation is to have it examined by a board certified avian vet. Depending upon the vet's conclusion, it may be a wise move to have the area biopsied.

Perhaps other members here have some further advice or opinions for you.

Should you have your bird examined by a vet, please let us know what you learn.

treelane
02-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Tony,
Thanks for your recommendation to seek expert advice. I will do that and let you know the outcome.

PlaxMacaws
02-29-2016, 04:41 PM
You are welcome. Lets hope the condition is nothing terribly serious. We'll be awaiting your report on the result.

spiritbird
02-29-2016, 06:05 PM
I found some information on the possibility these lesions are warts. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

treelane
03-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Diane, that was really helpful. Especially this part: "No evidence that birds with papillomatosis can spread the condition to people or any other pets except other birds." Also helpful is an explanation of how to help identify (changes in droppings or additional skin legions) and also how a professional would treat it. Thank you.

Lady
03-01-2016, 01:35 AM
I Avi,

Welcome to PP. I have no further suggestions but will be looking to see what the vet has to say.

spiritbird
03-05-2016, 04:33 AM
Did you get any resolution what the bumps are?

treelane
04-16-2016, 03:05 PM
So my friend who is a non-aviary vet sent the pictures to her friend who *is* an aviary vet. The response: it's either papilloma virus or cancer. If it's the former, it will clear up on it's own. So now I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Lady
04-16-2016, 06:37 PM
So I'm wondering if they look like they are disappearing since you took the pic? Is there nothing to do but wait? No tests or biopsy?