PDA

View Full Version : Nike Talking

bill-e
02-28-2016, 01:28 PM
I've read that Hawk Heads aren't great talkers in that their words aren't as clear as other parrots and that seems to be the case with Nike. She is getting more vocal daily. She is very good at mimicking sounds and will immediately mimic sounds I make when she's in the mood but she hasn't picked up any new words. Her "night, night" was new today and something that we never say. It's as if her old vocabulary is coming back to her the more comfortable she gets. So Far we've heard four phrases, What's up, Whatcha doin, and Night, Night, and Night Night Nike.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
02-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Aw what a gem Nike is. I love her cute little voice. Wish I could be there to interact with her. Thanks for showing us.

bill-e
02-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks, she's on a roll, this morning she said "Hi Nike" and "Pretty bird".

kendrafitz
02-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Nike is awesome! What a great talker and so smart. She must be so much fun.

I love that when the phone rang she said, "hello....hi"

Lady
02-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Oh my what a precious voice Nike has. The more I hear about her the more I want to meet a hawkhead in person. Nice perch too, I haven't seen one using the rope before, I think it's a great idea. Seems she prefers it to the wooden bar across the front.

bill-e
02-28-2016, 11:29 PM
Thanks Alice, It is actually kind of a Rube Goldberg playstand, I just keep adding to it. She was perching on the toy hanger and not using her toy so I removed it and added a tall perch. Then I had some extra rope perches so I attached them from the main post to the upper perch ends so that she could easily get down to her food and water. She is constantly up and down the ropes which was my intent in order to give her more exercize. She does occasionally perch on the big rope but mostly she prefers to sit with her back to us on the dowel.

Her voice is kinda stereotypical cartoon parrot I think.

bill-e
03-05-2016, 07:17 PM
So as Nike becomes more vocal she is also bring back sounds from her past. I'll try to get a recording of one which I think is a Macaw screech....a sound I wish she would forget ;). She was housed with a macaw for a number of years.

spiritbird
03-05-2016, 07:51 PM
OH my goodness that sweet little voice doing a Macaw scream! Cant wait to hear it.

Mare
03-05-2016, 11:18 PM
She's such a uniquely beautiful bird! Loved the video! Our Sassy goffins will tell Amigo, (when he's going off at night), in a sweet, small voice.."night, night, bird" :). Doesn't work..but she tries! Sassy brought quite the vocab with her from her original home and it took awhile for it ALL to come pouring out :)

bill-e
03-12-2016, 05:58 PM
She was making a lot of noise today but I have spared you all of that and just took a short piece of what I shot. She says "Hi Nike, Whatcha doin"

Lady
03-12-2016, 08:08 PM
:th_hehe: Nike is so cute. Thanks for sharing b/c it put a smile on my face~

lolsavannahh
03-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Ah I love it! I hope Nash ends up being one of those rare talking lovebirds as well! They say that they aren't avid speakers, but I've seen a few who can mimic quite well!(:

PlaxMacaws
03-12-2016, 10:28 PM
What a sweet little voice she has :D

kendrafitz
03-13-2016, 12:16 AM
What a great talker that sweetie is!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

bill-e
03-14-2016, 02:51 AM
Thanks, big breakthrough today, she started playing a little. I bought her a stainless steel hanging toy that she banged about a little and for the first time she came down off my shoulder onto my 'puter table and explored and played with a few things. To me that is a sign that she is finally really settling in.

bill-e
03-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I get a lot of comments on her "sweet voice" so I figured I's post some not so sweet stuff. Nike has taken to her form of screeching....much less piercing than my prior Amazon and certainly nothing like a Macaw...but it can be annoying nonetheless.

She will get into her seagull yell mode for no apparent reason and thus far we've been ignoring it and sometimes returning her to her cage when she goes overboard. In this clip she also does something that may have been learned from another parrot, let me know if you recognise the sound and can identify it.