PDA

View Full Version : Never Imagined We Would Be So Happy With A Bird

mdg1109
02-25-2016, 01:28 AM
So we have had Charlie for a week now. He is a 3 1/2 month old lesser sulphur crested cockatoo and OMG I never realized how much love, fun, enjoyment, learning and just joy owning a bird could be. He is so friendly with everyone that has stopped by to see him, and he just loves the attention he gets from my two sons. I am so excited to start this journey and love seeing what new things the day bring with him.

He seems to be settling in more and is "talking" more and learning more noises. I am wondering if anyone could tell me when would be a good time to teach him a few words. I know that cockatoos are not the most talkative of the parrots and we are ok with that, I am just wondering the best approach to teach him a few simple things like hello etc.

Thanks for any advice!

lolsavannahh
02-25-2016, 03:33 AM
ooh you're in for a treat! Looks like you're in the honey moon faze with you're little guy.. I wish you the best, but it won't be like this forever! There's really never a 'time' to start teaching them.. you just kinda do it whenever and wherever. Just say it every day and he will eventually pick it up.

Wish you the best of luck on your journey!

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 04:10 AM
Birds seem to pick up the words they want to say from every day conversation and words you repeat when doing something. Example - every time I closed the cage door I said good bye and waved my hand. Did not take long for my male Linnie to say by by back.
From what I have seen Cockatoos love to dance to music. Enjoy the honeymoon!

Macaw Lover
02-25-2016, 06:34 PM
They do have a way with wrapping their little talons around our heart but one of the down falls of 'Toos is a lot of people will spend sooooo much time with them when they are young and then life happens to the owners and they cannot spend as much time with that new baby in the house but you have set up the pattern of making the bird dependent on you and then the screaming can and does set in.

Right now, you must set up time limits and you must stick to them so that your bird can learn to be a bird, play by itself and not become so dependent on us. I know, you are in that honeymoon phase and just want to hug the stuffings out of them, but you will pay for that later down the road if you do. It is a balancing act, especially with the 'Toos and I don't want to see you fall into that pit where Charlie is screaming for your attention 24/7 because he has not developed into his own being and be independent of you. I know, hard line not to cross but you will be thankful in the future.

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 06:36 PM
I second what Renee has written even though I have never had a too bird. It makes sense to me. They love to be cuddled but too much will really set you up for behavior issues later on.

Lady
02-26-2016, 02:07 AM
You could record your own voice with the words you would like your baby to learn for when your not in the room. Say them excitedly or even use a phrase with a response.

Reading to them is fun too. Children's books or sing some nursery rhymes maybe.

Mare
02-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Hi! Your Charlie sounds amazing :). I love my U2, Amigo, he's going on 16, I brought him home when he was 8 and he was my first bird EVER. What a..fist in the gut, THAT was! These are very special birds and not just anyone can live with them BUT...if you have what it takes, in your heart, to work through the many issues you will most likely encounter...you can have a wonderful life with him, these can be challenging birds.

I've never had a young bird like your Charlie but I recommend you take Renee' (Macaw Lover's) advice and research all you can, along the way. Don't be scared off, though, just be strong :).

mdg1109
02-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Hi, Renee:

Thank you for the advice. I have been trying to make sure he has independent play time and have started to set up a routine with him. He gets snuggle time in the evening after I have put my 2 sons to bed and I also spend time with him in the morning. I admit it is difficult not to get him out of his cage when he is crying but I tell him that he is OK and to have fun with his toys.

I do not want to reinforce any negative behavior and I want him to be a family bird so we all spend time with him during the day. As you said life gets in the way and I work in real estate so I have to be flexible but I seem to have found that if I keep on the routine we are on I think we will all be ok.

Thanks again for you advice!

mdg1109
02-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Hi, Mare:

He has absolutely stolen all of our hearts. He has an amazing personality and he loves to snuggle. I read Bird for Dummies and Cockatoos before we brought him home and I made sure that I knew what we were getting into but I never imagined it would be possible to fall in love like this with a bird! Birds are my favorite animals and I will probably be known as the crazy bird lady once my sons go off to college.

I love you signature picture and it looks like Amigo has an amazing personality.

Thanks for the help!

spiritbird
02-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Michelle I would be happy to make you a signature. I would just need a nice sharp photo and any request you may have.

mdg1109
02-29-2016, 01:36 AM
Thank you! I need to try and get some better pictures of Charlie with the actual camera and not my phone. I will put that on the to do list for tomorrow!

Mare
02-29-2016, 02:13 AM
Haha! Yes..welcome to the crazy bird lady club! :)