PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Anakin

LunaLovebird
02-24-2016, 10:21 PM
I caved. I spoke with my partner last night about a little lovie in the RSPCA shelter down the road. I was surprised that he was all for going to see him. We walked down there and he was sat on a perch, completely still, with a corella in the cage next to him going absolutely nuts. They kept the birds very well - they had huge cages and lots of good food. Plenty of toys and proper perches. It was good to see.

Anyway, I met the little guy and decided to get him. He's beautiful. I had thought he was pied from his pic, but it turns out he's a regular Australian Cinnamon. I couldn't get a good picture of his tail feathers.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I don't know how old he is or anything. He came in an as a stray, so there was very little info about him. They vet checked him and microchipped him and have said that he's healthy. I have him in quarantine at least until I can get him to a vet for a check up. In the second picture, you can see his banded leg is missing a claw, and probably part of the toe. It looks like an old injury as it's totally healed over. He's eating well, drinking plenty of water, and his poops are fine. I don't think he's very hand shy, but only time will tell if that's true. I read a chapter of a book to him this morning and he seemed perfectly content. So all in all, a happy bird, if not a little scared of all the new people and things.

He and Luna have been singing to each other all morning. :love-struck:

spiritbird
02-24-2016, 10:51 PM
Oh my goodness what a cutie! :magic:SPCA here does not keep any birds. You are so lucky to have this little one. Do you know he is a he for sure? I feel a signature coming. The second photo would be good to use so all I need is one of your other bird.

LunaLovebird
02-24-2016, 11:29 PM
They don't have many birds, but the building is massive and they have their own room with cages. It was such a nice place.

They told me he was a he, but when I asked if he was DNA sexed, the lady couldn't say. I don't think the people doing the introductions and paperwork really knew much beyond what was on the vet's paperwork. I'm taking him to my avian vet in a few weeks. I'll find out for sure then. :)

I have heaps of photos of Luna you can use. I'll find one in a bit.

Macaw Lover
02-25-2016, 12:10 AM
Such a sweet face too.

Camelotshadow
02-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Congrats. Handsome fellow. :pinkgrin:

LunaLovebird
02-25-2016, 12:59 AM
The sweetest!

Dianne, would any of these work?

lolsavannahh
02-25-2016, 03:37 AM
I love him!!! I hope to be adopting a new lovie myself soon so it's so nice to see that your ASPCA carries them! Ours does not, but we do have several parrot rescues.. Also I love his colors! Mine is just a normal green, but I love the 'whites' on him as well!

I hope he turns out to be an amazing bird!

LunaLovebird
02-25-2016, 04:03 AM
I'd been keeping my eye on the RSPCA's adoption website for about a month. He was one of I think 2 lovebirds that popped up in that time. I saw his profile maybe 4 days ago and kept going back to it. They had a better photo of the colours on his back and tail than I currently have. He's a very pretty bird.

Looking at him again, I think I might be wrong about his colour mutation. He doesn't have pink feet. My guess is edged dilute / marbled.

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 04:03 AM
I will use the third photo. Shows the colors well. Will start tomorrow and post in the signature thread.

LunaLovebird
02-25-2016, 05:30 AM
Thank you. :) She still had her little baby face in the third one as well.

Penny
02-25-2016, 07:41 AM
What wonderful little beauties! I can't wait to see how the signature turns out. :loveit:

wingman
02-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Cute cute cute!!!

bill-e
02-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Very cute. I had a love bird 50 years ago and I could see one sometime in my future too.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Please see your personal messages in reference to Anakins photos.

LunaLovebird
02-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Please see your personal messages in reference to Anakins photos.

Hmm. I couldn't see any messages in my inbox?

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 11:08 PM
Oh ok I have a problem with the new birds photo. My software does not accept this photo for some strange reason. I cannot trace the bird in photoshop elements to make a siggy. The other photo is ok. Was this photo taken with a different camera? It appears to be locked for any copying. If you can please take some more photos with a camera in natural light from a window. Thanks D

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 11:25 PM
I can play around with the photo but cannot do what needs to be done for a siggy. Here is an example when I say play around. It means I use the whole picture not part of it.

LunaLovebird
02-25-2016, 11:52 PM
Weird. It was the same camera and both were uploaded through the same site. Are you able to work with this one?

PlaxMacaws
02-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Anakin and Luna are both adorable :heart:

Lady
02-26-2016, 01:07 AM
Oh how cute they are. How exciting~

spiritbird
02-26-2016, 01:22 AM
That looks like the same photo in the same place but I will try tomorrow.

LunaLovebird
02-26-2016, 01:52 AM
Same photo, but the last one was uploaded to a different website. I was able to re-download and edit it, but if there is still an issue, I'll see about taking another one.

Maddy
02-26-2016, 09:59 PM
What a pretty birdie! Congratulations!

LunaLovebird
02-27-2016, 01:36 AM
What a pretty birdie! Congratulations!

Thank you!

He's proven to be an excellent decision so far. He eats really well; I caught him munching on pellets and the vegetables I gave him, so that's one less thing to worry about. I'll be glad when his new cage arrives and he has some more room to enjoy himself while I have him in quarantine.

spiritbird
02-27-2016, 02:37 AM
Did you see the second signature yet?

Sucre
02-27-2016, 02:37 AM
They are both very pretty!

LunaLovebird
02-29-2016, 08:44 AM
Finally got set up in the new cage today. It's not the best cage, but it seems to suit Luna just fine. It's certainly roomy enough. I plan on upgrading them both after we sort out the vet visit in a few weeks.

This morning before the change over I let Anakin out for a bit. There was a lot of noise thanks to Luna's squawking in another room. I persevered - just (he's a set of air sacs on him) - and he calmed a bit. Enough to come down from his high perch spot and sit on the window sil. Eventually he plucked up the courage to sit on top of his cage and eat from the food bowl I put up for him. He was a bit jumpy about it because of the proximity to me, but I'll take what I can get. Getting him back in proved a bit stressful. Hopefully it didn't undo the good work. I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that except maybe to do the out time at night when it's easier to get him.

LunaLovebird
03-12-2016, 12:36 PM
We made some progress last night. He accidentally found his way to the back of my chair and hung out there next to my head for a while. He came back deliberately a second time.

He's also not as paranoid about dipping his head in his food bowl to eat next to me. Baby steps.

I took this one today while he was out.

spiritbird
03-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Very nice set up. Love the climbing net inside the cage. Do your like it?

LunaLovebird
03-12-2016, 01:32 PM
He spends most of his time perched on top of it rather than actually playing with it. I may try to hang up the other two ends so he gets more use of it. Luna has a cargo net in her cage hung up in this way that she loves, but she's generally more adventurous with the things in her cage. I think Anakin is still getting comfortable.