PDA

View Full Version : Nest box

Mare
02-24-2016, 02:15 AM
I hate to say this but I think a nesting box might be in order, soon. Any suggestions on size or type for cockatiels? Chip and Jellybean are very much in love and I'm predicting children...

Lady
02-26-2016, 02:35 AM
Oh Grandma how wonderful...................... A quick search I found a nice site about breeding Cockatiels that has information on the size of the box and other info.- [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
02-26-2016, 03:09 AM
That is a good information link. Does your cage have the breeding box door? Don't get the plastic one made by Vision. It only fits a vision cage. I ended up buying one in the pet store. They are wood and come in two sizes. Someone told me to put a small dowel perch inside about 2 inches from the floor so babies can learn to grip. I think it was Cedar Dave. Also get Aspen wood chips and the soft crumbled paper for substrate or nesting material. Sold on Amazon or pet stores.

I bought a few nest boxes and they did not fit right in the cage nest box door. Had do a few fixes for one to be right. Also used zip ties. You have a handy husband though.

spiritbird
02-26-2016, 03:13 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
02-26-2016, 06:20 PM
You will make a wonderful grandma Mare.

Cedardave
02-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Nest boxes are simple to make.If you have a home depot near by or can cut plywood in a straight line your set.Some screws and a couple hooks..a low perch and your set.For a cockatiel I would build a rectanglular box about 5 inches by 5 inches by10 inches.Make sure its accessable for the removal of the chicks when the time comes.If you end up buying one that isnt made of wood..cut a piece to fit on the bottom to avoid splayed legs.A low perch they cant get themselves or their feet pinned under is a great idea.

Mare
02-27-2016, 06:58 AM
Well, thank you all! Alice that is very informative site! I don't know if I'm ready to be a grandma, Dianne!! Dave, I bet my husband, Tim, could hook Chip and JB up with one of these boxes, thanks :).

These guys don't really live in the same cage, Chip has always been free in the bird room and Jellybean has been living in his original cage but since she started to fly, I've been letting her have free run with Chip and now...I think they may be needing not only a nesting box but a bigger cage to accommodate the box :eek-new:

It's all good, though. If we have more littles..we will adjust and handle what comes along :)

Lady
02-28-2016, 02:56 AM
No doubt you all will Mare. I think it's great that some have an entire room just for their birds. Lady and I share a room but she doesn't like to go to far from her cage even with the front wide open.

Mare
02-28-2016, 03:05 AM
Thanks Alice :). When our kids lived at home we had no room to call a "bird room". The kids have flown the coop and I am now filling empty space :th_biggrin: Maybe, you should consider yourself lucky that you don't have a meandering, destructive bird that eats your house! Gotta love 'em!