PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Sucre
02-24-2016, 01:27 AM
I was finally able to get all 4 of my lovebirds in one cage! Saffron was my oldest and my problem child, and it took me weeks to integrate her with the other 3.

BUT...it happened at a cost. Saffron was my most tame, but once she joined in with the others, she became very nippy. The other 3 were hand fed but not hand raised, flighty and nippy when I got them. I finished hand feeding them when they were down to 2 hand feedings a day.

I think we lost a lot of ground dealing with a psychotic cockatoo, and none of them got the individual attention they needed, so I am having to start all over in taming them. (I have a pair of Fischers - one is a lutino, a creamino, and a black faced teal.) The Fischers have bonded with each other and the creamino and black faced have bonded with each other.) I have no intentions of breeding (eggs will be removed) unless the Fischers prove to be a pair and reproduce.

Would the taming be easier if I separated them out into "pairs"? They may make my decisions for me as they mature. At what age do lovebirds mature sexually?

They are so adorable and so entertaining, and I love their constant chatter. I told my husband the other day that I could just let them be, and not worry about taming them, if that's the best thing to do with the 4 of them being together.

Sucre
02-24-2016, 01:34 AM
This is my lutino Fischer - isn't she beautiful?

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psaf2lxwhw.jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psaf2lxwhw.jpg.html)

spiritbird
02-24-2016, 01:57 AM
Perhaps the birds are more relaxed because you are more relaxed. What is the birds name in the photo?

PlaxMacaws
02-24-2016, 02:51 AM
This is my lutino Fischer - isn't she beautiful?

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psaf2lxwhw.jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psaf2lxwhw.jpg.html)Indeed. She is a wonderful match for your rug :D

Mare
02-24-2016, 03:04 AM
I've never experienced lovebirds but you sure have a beauty there! I agree with you, let them be themselves unless you are insistent on having companion birds..?..

LunaLovebird
02-24-2016, 03:35 AM
I would leave them as is and keep an eye on them for now. They generally reach maturity at around 10-12 months. If they do start breeding and getting nesty, you almost certainly will have to separate, as they will get aggressive.

Your lutino is beautiful. I saw a rescue pied peachy up for adoption here the other night. It's taking all my will power not to go down and take a look at him. I know I'd have to bring him home.

Lady
02-26-2016, 02:53 AM
Wow what a pretty bird~