PDA

View Full Version : Excessive flock calls

P&K
02-23-2016, 03:08 AM
My little one and a half year old white faced cockatiel, Peanutbutter, excessively flock calls for me. I'm his preferred human and I know that cockatiels are super social birds but he obsessively calls when I leave the room. I have tried calling back by saying phrases he knows or even "wheet whoo"-ing him back but when I do he only gets louder and more frantic. I've tried ignoring him but he'll continue until I cave and go to the doorway so he can see me, at which point as soon as I walk away he starts again, or I take him with me. When I leave the house I allow him to see me I tell him "I'll see ya later" as I walk away until he repeats it back (he doesn't flock call after this). I have tried this method when leaving the room but if he still hears me at home, he begins calling again. Thankfully this is not an all day every day occurance, but it happens more often than not. How have you handled flock calling? Has anyone elses cockatiels calls gotten louder and more frantic after responding? Of so, how did you handle it?

Mare
02-23-2016, 03:13 AM
Peanutbutter needs a mate. Not in the same cage but one close by. They really do like company :)

P&K
02-23-2016, 03:20 AM
He has a black cap conure friend that I got about two months after getting him. They're very close in age and their cages are right next to eachother. Sometimes she even joins in on a super rare occasion. She's a lot quieter than him.

Mare
02-23-2016, 03:44 AM
It sounds like he is loving you more :). A few years ago I brought home a cockatiel (rescue) and when he was in quarantine in our living room, he was non-stop vocal! The only other birds in the house were Sassy goffins and Amigo U2 who would love to eat him in a heartbeat! Once I moved him into their room, he was happy as a clam :). Go figure..

spiritbird
02-23-2016, 01:21 PM
I suggest you not call back to your Cockatiel as this only serves to reinforce the calling out. I would try and focus on keeping the bird busy with lots of things to do inside the cage. Try to remember calling out is a natural behavior of birds. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Lady
02-24-2016, 12:29 AM
That's a very good article spiritbird I think it will be helpful to P&K.

P&K
03-03-2016, 01:34 AM
Thanks everyone. The articles really helped :)