PDA

View Full Version : Question

wingman
02-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Can non toxic craft paint be used around Birds? I have an old floor light stand that would make agrea standing perch....but needs painted any advice on this...

spiritbird
02-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Are there any labels on the paint or a way to contact the manufacturer? One time I saw a very old and large coat rack for sale and thought it would have made a nice perch landing for birds but it was too large to fit in my car. Would love to see a photo of the lamp. Nice craft idea.

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-20-2016, 03:48 PM
See if you have a company nearby that does powder coating. This is a process whereby the metal item is electrostatically spray-coated with a coloured powder that is then baked on. They use this process on cages because the powder that gets left behind in the spraying can be used again. Much less wasteful than paint spraying. I had the steel wheels on our cars done quite cheeply, I think most of the cost was removing the rust first. :th_smile:

Lady
02-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Good question. I would also look for more information about the brand of paint your speaking about. How are you fixing the lamp to use for the birds? Will you be adding any wood perches or just painting and using the lamp as is. A pic and your thoughts of modifying it for the birds would be helpful.

Mare
02-20-2016, 09:56 PM
A few years back..I bought a large cage for Sassy, I found it on Craigslist. It was looking good and a good price of $199, I believe I paid. On closer inspection, it looked like it had been spray painted. I was concerned about that and folks told me that most of the canned spray paint, today, is safe for my birds. Well, I believed them and Sassy is still going strong.

Don't take my word for it, though. She is SUPERbird!

Bird Mom
02-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Paints now are typically safe. Aslong as it says it would be safe for a baby. Here is a link that goes into more detail.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Ecos paints makes a paint specifically for use with birds, but it's pretty expensive. 4 oz is $19.95, 1 qt $28.95 and $69.95 a gallon.

wingman
02-20-2016, 11:28 PM
It's really just a smaller floor lamp that will have dowl rod tee for the little ones to perch on but I do have a 5 foot floor lamp I want to create. For the lovies to all perch on ! Just ideas. They both look antique. Thought it would look neat

wingman
02-22-2016, 05:59 AM
This paint sounds like the one.[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]