PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about or heard of HQ Cages?

Gburchett
05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Was at a bird show today and saw some cages that were made by HQ. they looked to be built pretty good, but I don't know that I have heard of them before. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this this brand, if anyone has one, and what they think about them?

The one thing that I don't care much for is the fact that they are built in China. They are of course less money than the other brands.

How do they come pair with A&E and King Cages?

Thanks

Greg

jtbirds
05-12-2013, 12:10 AM
A&e and hq are almost the same designs, I'd even say they are the same company but I have not found proof of that yet... I like kings cages much more IMO they are built tougher and so on, hq and a n e are just not built as tough in my experiences with them.

roxynoodle
05-12-2013, 12:59 AM
I have some of each.

My HQ is 12 years old so there are definite design differences over the newer ones, but it's still going strong so great quality. Are the newer ones as good? Many reviews say no, and they seem to be more like A&E these days in quality.

I just bought the Kings in December but so far I like it the best as far as quality and powder coating are concerned.

roxynoodle
05-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Oh, and HQ, A&E and Kings are all made in the same factory in China. Even the Kings European line is now made in China as well.

jtbirds
05-12-2013, 01:06 AM
The newer HQ cages are really slacking, we bought one for our macaw boo and today when I was cleaning it I noticed so much powder coating wearing already and we've barely had it a year... I defiantly am not for HQs newer line. I still say California made the best cages of them all!

Gburchett
05-12-2013, 01:23 AM
I take it California cages is no longer in business?

roxynoodle
05-12-2013, 01:35 AM
No CC went out of business. If you can find an older one, made in Mexico, in good condition, buy it. They weren't as good though the last few years.

If you can afford it, take a look at Expandable Habitats. Otherwise most of us deal with the made in China 3.

jtbirds
05-12-2013, 01:36 AM
No sadly they are not in business, you can find there cages used but the shape of them varies, they were built to last if you maintained them but many did not so they rusted and so on. They made stainless steel models to I've been keeping my eyes open for I'd love to have a few of me!

Sorry was posting as Audrey was:p.

roxynoodle
05-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Just curious, what species of bird are you looking for a cage for? Because that information could change my opinions on what to buy. Cockatoos and large macaws are really hard on cages and can break welds. In that case, I'd go for a Kings due to the drilled (pass through) bars rather than welded bars. And their European line is just plain heavier all the way around compared to their other lines. Big, heavy bars and bar stock.

If you are buying one for a less destructive bird, buy the cage you like provided the bar spacing and size are appropriate.

Gburchett
05-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Just curious, what species of bird are you looking for a cage for? Because that information could change my opinions on what to buy. Cockatoos and large macaws are really hard on cages and can break welds. In that case, I'd go for a Kings due to the drilled (pass through) bars rather than welded bars. And their European line is just plain heavier all the way around compared to their other lines. Big, heavy bars and bar stock.

If you are buying one for a less destructive bird, buy the cage you like provided the bar spacing and size are appropriate.

Looking at B&G Macaw. I think when we had our Moluccan, we had a Kings Cage.

roxynoodle
05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Well, with a B&G, you have 2 choices. Get spendy and buy a SS cage like Expandable Habitats or Animal Environments. They will likely last forever.

Or buy a double macaw cage from one of the China 3, knowing you will need to repair welds and have it repowder coated here and there (or keep buying new ones).

There is a guy whose company is called Reed Seed, who goes to some of the birds shows. He often does have amazing deals on HQ. Last year he was selling double macaw cages for just $399. If you let him know ahead of time what show you will be at that he is, and pay for the cage, he will bring it and then you pick it up there. No shipping so a much better price.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

jtbirds
05-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I am completely with Audrey, we are working slowly on converting some of our cages to stainless steel or heavy cages that will not need the constant upkeep of the powercoates ones(meaning repowdercoating, so much rust, etc...) I think the best of the three is kings as well they are amazing cages and last a long time, although I know a blue and gold the destroyed bars in the kings cage and this was an old made in Europe model:(.

Gburchett
05-13-2013, 12:15 AM
I've thought about the SS cages. It's a pretty big investment, but I guess for a bird that will definitely out live me, it's not that big. Just a big initial cost. I'll have to start saving up.

roxynoodle
05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
I recommended the two companies I did because their cages are of the highest quality and made in the US. AE (Animal Environments) welds those cages to withstand an earthquake so they are macaw proof, lol! Both of those companies produce a top product, which is heads above a SS cage made by Kings, A&E or HQ.

Gburchett
05-13-2013, 01:23 AM
I recommended the two companies I did because their cages are of the highest quality and made in the US. AE (Animal Environments) welds those cages to withstand an earthquake so they are macaw proof, lol! Both of those companies produce a top product, which is heads above a SS cage made by Kings, A&E or HQ.

I would much rather buy something made here. I don't mind paying a little more for American made products. Tired of everything being made over seas. I'll look into those cages. Thanks

Bokkapooh
06-10-2013, 11:57 PM
I HATE HQ cages.

I LOVE A&E cages.

Why?

Well I'll tell ya. The HQ cages have TINY *** WHEELS for their BIG cages!

A&E recognizes that a BIG double or double giant macaw cage NEEDS big wheels. So they have big wheels. The regular 40"x30" A&E cages also have big wheels.

But WHY does HQ be so silly and provide tiny tiny tiny wheels for a cage that's 500 pounds?

I'll never know...

A&E ROCKS compared to HQ.

Parrothanos
09-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Neve seen one before but I heard they look like King's cages.

I have my GW in a 48" wide A&E cage, but the dome top. IMHO dome tops provide those big macs quite a bit of additional head room, and room for more toys and activities.

This here are my top bird cage brands ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])