PDA

View Full Version : Adopt vs shop

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Hey all, so I've tried asking previously a question but got no answers, so hopefully this question has a few answers.
First off I've only ever had a cockatiel as a pet bird and this was years ago, so let's say I have no real bird experience.
So after many years together, my husband and I are moving to FL with our kid and my husband has agreed to let me fulfill my life dream of adopting a goffins cockatoo into our family.
Now I want honest answers: is this the craziest thing a person with no real bird experience to do? Some websites are just so discouraging that it's scaring me from wanting a bird. But if I go with a smaller bird, I know I won't be happy.
And if I do get one, would getting a baby be best, or should I go with an older adoptable goffins?
Anyone have any positive adoption stories or any positive story about getting one would be much appreciated.
Few things about me: I live with my husband, my 2 yr old and a dog and cat. I'm a stay at home mom who is obsessed with her animals and I'm always home. My animals are my friends lol so I definitely feel a cockatoo would fit with us. But what do I know
Hopefully someone has some positive words and some advice

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mare
02-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Hi! Well, I will tell you what I know about my goffins, Sassy,,I adopted her. I don't know if she is like most goffins, she is the only one I've been around.

She has the cutest, funniest/quirky personality. She is kind of bi-polar, she can go from loving to attack mode in an instant. She is very smart, you can watch her analyze a situation before she proceeds. She says quite a few words and phrases. She has a scream like a pterodactyl and will use it when she is wanting attention, mostly from my husband. She has bonded to my husband and prefers him over me which is ok, I'm happy she likes him.

Sassy doesn't "hate" kids, (not like my U2), but I don't trust her around them. Her bite can cut deep but not quite a bone crusher.

All birds are different and I find it hard to give advice on whether or not a goffins would be the right bird for you..hopefully someone else will chime in here. :)

Bird Mom
02-15-2016, 04:48 PM
I can't give any experience towards owning a cockatoo, but I will say if you do your research you will be fine to get one for yourself. Everyone starts somewhere, and cockatiels aren't "as" needy as the bigger birds, but they are still needy themselves. Cockatiels like cockatoos LOVE affection and being with their owners. You will need to make sure your husband socializes with the bird too, because parrots can easily become one person birds and will try to "protect" you or become possessive over you.
Anyways, my suggestion is to either find a breeder or check your local craigslist. Inform the person you want to spend alittle time with the bird to make sure it is a good fit. I have gotten all my birds from craigslist. I like going and spending some time with the bird before I commit to purchasing. If the person was honest about the birds description in the ad then they will have no problem with you coming over to meet the bird and get to know it.

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Hi! Well, I will tell you what I know about my goffins, Sassy,,I adopted her. I don't know if she is like most goffins, she is the only one I've been around.

She has the cutest, funniest/quirky personality. She is kind of bi-polar, she can go from loving to attack mode in an instant. She is very smart, you can watch her analyze a situation before she proceeds. She says quite a few words and phrases. She has a scream like a pterodactyl and will use it when she is wanting attention, mostly from my husband. She has bonded to my husband and prefers him over me which is ok, I'm happy she likes him.

Sassy doesn't "hate" kids, (not like my U2), but I don't trust her around them. Her bite can cut deep but not quite a bone crusher.

All birds are different and I find it hard to give advice on whether or not a goffins would be the right bird for you..hopefully someone else will chime in here. :)
Thank you for your input! Does she go bipolar on yoour husband as well or just you?

spiritbird
02-15-2016, 05:08 PM
No first hand experience here. However I do in depth learning about species in general. Cockatiels are just lovely birds all around. Cockatoos are a different story. I have interacted with one at a bird club and this bird was delightful. You will be having 2 dusty species so air filters of good quality would be needed like RabbitAir. Florida is one of the best states to live in for avian vets.

This paragraph is from a Goffins owner:

A few things to keep in mind with goffins- 1. They can be LOUD for their size and enjoy vocalizing at inopportune times (like when your on the phone). 2. They are highly intelligent and that makes them naughty little birds. Expect some mischief as they gets older. 3. Quite a few years down the line when the bird hits puberty, that snuggliness will likely change to periods of being sweet and periods of being nasty. It's the hormones. 4. Cockatoos are love sponges, but they MUST MUST MUST be taught to self entertain and be 'ok' by themselves. When new, it is hard not to allow them to be like velcro but this is a BAD idea and WILL backfire on you in the future. A much better solution is a good schedule where they can expect interaction time where they can cuddle and play with you, but also need their alone time where they play with toys, rest or do whatever it is they do that does not involve a human. This will prevent many behavioral issues down the line.

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 05:09 PM
I can't give any experience towards owning a cockatoo, but I will say if you do your research you will be fine to get one for yourself. Everyone starts somewhere, and cockatiels aren't "as" needy as the bigger birds, but they are still needy themselves. Cockatiels like cockatoos LOVE affection and being with their owners. You will need to make sure your husband socializes with the bird too, because parrots can easily become one person birds and will try to "protect" you or become possessive over you.
Anyways, my suggestion is to either find a breeder or check your local craigslist. Inform the person you want to spend alittle time with the bird to make sure it is a good fit. I have gotten all my birds from craigslist. I like going and spending some time with the bird before I commit to purchasing. If the person was honest about the birds description in the ad then they will have no problem with you coming over to meet the bird and get to know it.
Thank you! And your CL birds all bonded to you no issues?

Mare
02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Sassy is very loving with my husband. They will lay on the sofa and cuddle, she has fallen asleep on his chest. She WILL go physcho on him though, if he dares to talk on the phone while holding her or speak too loudly to anyone else in the room. This may just be one of her quirks but we learned as we went along what sets her off and try to avoid those scenarios while holding her. She is quite the little character!

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Sassy is very loving with my husband. They will lay on the sofa and cuddle, she has fallen asleep on his chest. She WILL go physcho on him though, if he dares to talk on the phone while holding her or speak too loudly to anyone else in the room. This may just be one of her quirks but we learned as we went along what sets her off and try to avoid those scenarios while holding her. She is quite the little character!
Dammmmn she demands all her man's attention [emoji24] [emoji24] that's hysterical

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 05:57 PM
No first hand experience here. However I do in depth learning about species in general. Cockatiels are just lovely birds all around. Cockatoos are a different story. I have interacted with one at a bird club and this bird was delightful. You will be having 2 dusty species so air filters of good quality would be needed like RabbitAir. Florida is one of the best states to live in for avian vets.

This paragraph is from a Goffins owner:

A few things to keep in mind with goffins- 1. They can be LOUD for their size and enjoy vocalizing at inopportune times (like when your on the phone). 2. They are highly intelligent and that makes them naughty little birds. Expect some mischief as they gets older. 3. Quite a few years down the line when the bird hits puberty, that snuggliness will likely change to periods of being sweet and periods of being nasty. It's the hormones. 4. Cockatoos are love sponges, but they MUST MUST MUST be taught to self entertain and be 'ok' by themselves. When new, it is hard not to allow them to be like velcro but this is a BAD idea and WILL backfire on you in the future. A much better solution is a good schedule where they can expect interaction time where they can cuddle and play with you, but also need their alone time where they play with toys, rest or do whatever it is they do that does not involve a human. This will prevent many behavioral issues down the line.
Thank you! I really wonder if it would be better if I got one that was like 8 or 9, and past all the hormonal stuff. Or if I should get a baby and get it used to my human baby and the other 4 leggeds.

Bird Mom
02-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Thank you! And your CL birds all bonded to you no issues?

Yes they are. I have cockatiels from Craigslist but they are very sweet birds who have considered me their human mate. I did once buy a quaker and she was awful. I went to the persons house and spent some time with her, she seemed fine. I got her home and after a few days she was a very different bird. Screeming and biting. I have read this about a LOT of quakers. So, I think it something to do with that species. She was also older. If you have another room in the house to put the bird then the cockatoos loudness won't effect you much. I live in a small house and keep my birds in my bedroom, so there's not much of a way to get away from the noise.
Another reason I suggest craigslist aswell is the prices are a lot more reasonable too. People are just trying to find a loving home for their pet, they're not in it for the money. I mean, that's not to say for every person on there as there is people who just lie and try getting a ton of money, but for the most part I've had very good experiences. And like I said, if they were honest about their birds description in the ad, they will have no problem letting you come meet the bird first.
I think when you go just see how the bird is. Watch to see how the owner takes her out of the cage. Whether the bird runs away or comes right out to see everyone. When you hold her see if she has interest in you. If she just tries to run away then I wouldn't get her. I know birds can be nervous around new people, but you don't want to be stuck with a bird who isn't friendly.
I just recently got a hand fed 9 month old cockatiel from an older lady. When I went up to the cage Nala came climbing over to greet us. When I got her home I opened up her cage and she came right out and flew to my hand. It's like she had been with us for years already.
With the small birds I sometimes just trust the person and meet in a public place. But when it comes to big birds I definitely would not purchase without spending time with the bird first. I was set up to go meet a little green cheek, but decided it wasn't for me. I would like to get a cockatoo one day, when I have more room.
I suggest getting a younger bird if you can find one, so the bird won't be as bonded to its current owner.

lolsavannahh
02-15-2016, 07:19 PM
That's so exciting that you are going to be a mommy soon! I remember the months leading up to the adoption of my Nash, where I would just go nuts getting him new toys and stuff... and I didn't even have him yet XD

Cockatoo's are wonderful! They can be the sweetest, most adorable loving birds ever... but they can also be nightmares if not handled and raised right. They are a lot more work then a cockatiel for sure, and definitely it's going to be a difficult transition bringing this new bird into your life, but if you prepare yourself and are ready for this... you will do fine. Being a stay at home mom is definitely good for such a large bird with such large needs ( They are the smallest white cockatoo, yes, but they still need the attention of a big one! ). Most people don't know what they are getting themselves into when getting a bird, and definitely when this fist bird is a cockatoo, but you seem to be genuinely interested in the health and wellbeing of a new family member and will do anything to help it fit in. Cockatoos are very demanding, but like SpiritBird said, they can be 'taught' to be less demanding. Most websites don't really mention scheduling with your birds, but it can come in handy! Make a schedule that you CAN FOLLOW every single day within an hour of the original time. For example, make it a schedule to let him out of his cage every morning at 8 AM, and then at 9 AM give him his morning veggies and fruits ( Which are very important to a birds health ). at 10 take him to another play area, maybe the couch, or even a real bird play tree and interact with him there, allow him to cuddle with you and show him how much you love him. let him play for 2 hours and at 12 or so make it movie time, and lunch time. Birds love the sound of people talking and if you need to go run some errands, now is the time. Put on your favorite movie and put him in his cage near the TV so he can 'watch' and listen to it. Whenever you get back from the errands put him on the playpen again or whatever you think would work and then finish up maybe putting away groceries. Birds NEED to feel involved in something or they will feel like you are purposely leaving them out because you don't like them, and they may get sad or even a bit nippy because of it. Goffins have a HARD bite, and you need to know that you WILL get bit no matter what you do. It could be an accident on your part or theirs, but it is bound to happen and you cannot punish them. Something the birds at the rescue I work at love is reading time and oatmeal time. We go in the room where the birds is and we sit in a chair near the cage and we read aloud to the bird, enunciating some birds as if we are talking sweetly to the bird ( Like instead of saying pretty, say it like you're talking to a baby or a dog, in a higher voice ) and also we put some oatmeal ( unseasoned, unsugared, plain ) on a spoon and feed it through the cage bars to the birds, they love the taste, and it makes them feel connected. Whenever the day is done, say 10-11 PM, put your bird back up, say goodnight, give him the last pet of the day for a few minutes and leave and do not come back in until morning. This will be hard for the bird at first, but they need to know that this is your sleep time and they need to sleep or entertain themselves. Most birds liked to be covered with a blanket at night, so you may do that.

I hope this helps and I hope you find the perfect bird to adopt! I suggest trying to find an older one, because they will always need homes and do what Bird Mom said and make sure to make a few visits with the rescue or person online so you can get to know the bird before just bringing it home. I do not suggest a breeder, but that is my opinion. I thin an older bird will be more of an adventure and definitely better in the long run because young birds will get a home, but not all older birds will. Birds live a lonnnnngggg time and they need love for all of that time!(:

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 11:27 PM
Yes they are. I have cockatiels from Craigslist but they are very sweet birds who have considered me their human mate. I did once buy a quaker and she was awful. I went to the persons house and spent some time with her, she seemed fine. I got her home and after a few days she was a very different bird. Screeming and biting. I have read this about a LOT of quakers. So, I think it something to do with that species. She was also older. If you have another room in the house to put the bird then the cockatoos loudness won't effect you much. I live in a small house and keep my birds in my bedroom, so there's not much of a way to get away from the noise.
Another reason I suggest craigslist aswell is the prices are a lot more reasonable too. People are just trying to find a loving home for their pet, they're not in it for the money. I mean, that's not to say for every person on there as there is people who just lie and try getting a ton of money, but for the most part I've had very good experiences. And like I said, if they were honest about their birds description in the ad, they will have no problem letting you come meet the bird first.
I think when you go just see how the bird is. Watch to see how the owner takes her out of the cage. Whether the bird runs away or comes right out to see everyone. When you hold her see if she has interest in you. If she just tries to run away then I wouldn't get her. I know birds can be nervous around new people, but you don't want to be stuck with a bird who isn't friendly.
I just recently got a hand fed 9 month old cockatiel from an older lady. When I went up to the cage Nala came climbing over to greet us. When I got her home I opened up her cage and she came right out and flew to my hand. It's like she had been with us for years already.
With the small birds I sometimes just trust the person and meet in a public place. But when it comes to big birds I definitely would not purchase without spending time with the bird first. I was set up to go meet a little green cheek, but decided it wasn't for me. I would like to get a cockatoo one day, when I have more room.
I suggest getting a younger bird if you can find one, so the bird won't be as bonded to its current owner.
Thanks so much!

Mcowell87
02-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Is anyone here a human mom and a too mom???

Cedardave
02-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Goffins are wonderful birds.We had a rescue with us that came from a terrable situation.He was the smartest little guy dispite his past.He would have been close to 50 years old when he left us.If there is a rescue in your area..spend some time with a goffin if they have one.If not...spend some time finding a reputable breeder.

Mare
02-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Is anyone here a human mom and a too mom???

I am, although, my youngest is going on 24yrs. :). I have family with young children, that come visit and I do have to protect them and my birds at these times.

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 03:25 AM
That's so exciting that you are going to be a mommy soon! I remember the months leading up to the adoption of my Nash, where I would just go nuts getting him new toys and stuff... and I didn't even have him yet XD

Cockatoo's are wonderful! They can be the sweetest, most adorable loving birds ever... but they can also be nightmares if not handled and raised right. They are a lot more work then a cockatiel for sure, and definitely it's going to be a difficult transition bringing this new bird into your life, but if you prepare yourself and are ready for this... you will do fine. Being a stay at home mom is definitely good for such a large bird with such large needs ( They are the smallest white cockatoo, yes, but they still need the attention of a big one! ). Most people don't know what they are getting themselves into when getting a bird, and definitely when this fist bird is a cockatoo, but you seem to be genuinely interested in the health and wellbeing of a new family member and will do anything to help it fit in. Cockatoos are very demanding, but like SpiritBird said, they can be 'taught' to be less demanding. Most websites don't really mention scheduling with your birds, but it can come in handy! Make a schedule that you CAN FOLLOW every single day within an hour of the original time. For example, make it a schedule to let him out of his cage every morning at 8 AM, and then at 9 AM give him his morning veggies and fruits ( Which are very important to a birds health ). at 10 take him to another play area, maybe the couch, or even a real bird play tree and interact with him there, allow him to cuddle with you and show him how much you love him. let him play for 2 hours and at 12 or so make it movie time, and lunch time. Birds love the sound of people talking and if you need to go run some errands, now is the time. Put on your favorite movie and put him in his cage near the TV so he can 'watch' and listen to it. Whenever you get back from the errands put him on the playpen again or whatever you think would work and then finish up maybe putting away groceries. Birds NEED to feel involved in something or they will feel like you are purposely leaving them out because you don't like them, and they may get sad or even a bit nippy because of it. Goffins have a HARD bite, and you need to know that you WILL get bit no matter what you do. It could be an accident on your part or theirs, but it is bound to happen and you cannot punish them. Something the birds at the rescue I work at love is reading time and oatmeal time. We go in the room where the birds is and we sit in a chair near the cage and we read aloud to the bird, enunciating some birds as if we are talking sweetly to the bird ( Like instead of saying pretty, say it like you're talking to a baby or a dog, in a higher voice ) and also we put some oatmeal ( unseasoned, unsugared, plain ) on a spoon and feed it through the cage bars to the birds, they love the taste, and it makes them feel connected. Whenever the day is done, say 10-11 PM, put your bird back up, say goodnight, give him the last pet of the day for a few minutes and leave and do not come back in until morning. This will be hard for the bird at first, but they need to know that this is your sleep time and they need to sleep or entertain themselves. Most birds liked to be covered with a blanket at night, so you may do that.

I hope this helps and I hope you find the perfect bird to adopt! I suggest trying to find an older one, because they will always need homes and do what Bird Mom said and make sure to make a few visits with the rescue or person online so you can get to know the bird before just bringing it home. I do not suggest a breeder, but that is my opinion. I thin an older bird will be more of an adventure and definitely better in the long run because young birds will get a home, but not all older birds will. Birds live a lonnnnngggg time and they need love for all of that time!(:
Thank you thank you for this! I'm so beyond excited and have been researching non stop to be sure I'm ready. It's been a few years wait, I'm just so stoked.
Can you recommend any booKS on training?

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 03:30 AM
I am, although, my youngest is going on 24yrs. :). I have family with young children, that come visit and I do have to protect them and my birds at these times.
Thank you for your input 💖

Thank you thank you for this! I'm so beyond excited and have been researching non stop to be sure I'm ready. It's been a few years wait, I'm just so stoked.
Can you recommend any booKS on training?

Mare
02-16-2016, 04:10 AM
I've never been much on training my birds, all's I've ever wanted was to just get along! :). Learning to "read" my birds, this was always key, to me. It would be nice if I could teach Amigo to step up "on command" but alas,,if it's not HIS idea I have to peel him off of what he's perched on.

lolsavannahh
02-16-2016, 04:19 AM
I don't know any actual books, but honestly just looking up online and youtube videos for training birds is a good start! I know a youtuber, called the Parrot Wizard is a very good bird trainer and does lots of videos of his Green Wing Macaw and Senegal doing amazing tricks he taught them, you definitely should check him out!(:

JLcribber
02-16-2016, 04:38 AM
Having no real experience with large parrots, you are going to bite off the most humongous mouthful ever. Your chances of choking are going to be high. You could not have chosen a more high maintenance, demanding species that will tax you to your emotional limits use every ounce of patience you have and more. I'm not trying to be mean or judgemental. I'm just laying out the reality of what this "vision" you have. Reality has a way of smashing visions.

You will do whatever you like because that is your right. Take it from a very long time bird owner. Think long and hard about this. Then think long and hard again. This is a lifetime commitment. The good. The bad. The unbearable. There are no quitters. Rescues are full of cockatoos whose owners who had all the right intentions but had no idea of the "depth" of the commitment and time it would take. They quit on them.

This bird will not be happy or live long term (we're talking 40 -60 years) in a cage. It will need as much space as you do. It will need it's own large safe environment like a bird safe room/indoor aviary. You will no longer be able to travel without making extensive plans and in reality you can't really leave these highly emotional birds for any real length of time without it causing severe stress and destructive behaviours.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. You wanted honesty. That's what this is.

Mare
02-16-2016, 04:54 AM
That was a bit harsh, John but still real. At my house, I have 4birds, only one of them is a U2 and he is my biggest worry when coming time to leave him for a few days and mostly because not just anyone can handle him without severe damage to themselves. ALL birds need special care and attention, some are easier to manage than others. I found our goffins to be easier, in all departments, than our U2.

JLcribber
02-16-2016, 07:16 AM
That was a bit harsh, John but still real. At my house, I have 4birds, only one of them is a U2 and he is by biggest worry when coming time to leave him for a few days and mostly because not just anyone can handle him without severe damage to themselves. ALL birds need special care and attention, some are easier to manage than others. I found our goffins to be easier, in all departments, than our U2.

Reality is a bit harsh but that's why it's reality as opposed to a vision.

spiritbird
02-16-2016, 12:56 PM
There is a reason there are so many Cockatoos in rescues. John is painting an honest opinion based upon long experience. He has his own web page dedicated to the realities of Cockatoo ownership. I truly wish you well and can dedicate the rest of your life to a bird such as this.

Sucre
02-16-2016, 04:15 PM
I have only had my U2 for a couple of months, so my experience is limited. I applaud you for doing your homework. I did not. I had kept budgies, cockatiels, finches my whole life, and thought I knew it all. But Sucre was an emergency rescue, owned by meth users who posted an ad on fb (for sale, of course) that if someone did not buy him that day, they were turning him loose outside. I couldn't stand that, offered them considerably less than what they were asking for him in cash and went and picked him up. No research. Had I done my research, I might have just taken him directly to a local lady who does bird rescue. He has a LOT of problems. His cage was not assembled, he had free roam of the house with 2 toddlers in it, and the entire house looked like the floor of a bird cage. Meth pipes were all over the place, and you could smell it. Supposedly this was his only home before coming to live with us, he's 6 years old, and a hormonal train wreck.

We've had to instigate many changes in his life. He now has cage time as we work and are gone from home 9 hours a day Monday through Friday. He's out every evening, but has to be closely supervised because I do small scale small animal rescue and we have quite the menagerie and everyone needs attention. The first week was perfect - the honeymoon period. He was well behaved and bonding with both myself and my husband. We didn't know about mating season, and my husband babied him too much and Sucre decided he was his mate, and I should die. He attacks me if given a chance, even though I continue working to gain his trust, but after you've been attacked a couple of times with that beak, it's hard to get past the fear, and I'm certain he senses that in me. We have daily show downs - I am as stubborn as he is. He is an angel with my husband.

He is highly intelligent, talks and sings non stop and very well, argues with himself, throws temper tantrums anytime I do anything with him, including feed him. Everything I offer (other than cornbread sticks or pound cake) goes slamming into the floor of his cage.

He's a work in progress. We took him to the vet two weeks after we got him, they didn't know how long it would take him to go through the withdrawals from the meth, but thought that, along with hormones raging, would be the majority of his hostility. We're supposed to take him back if things don't improve and consider starting him on an antipsychotic, since we don't know what he meth exposure may have done to his brain long term. He's learning about discipline and structure, he doesn't like it, but he knows the meaning of the word NO and he hears it a lot. I have tried everything I have been advised to try with him, and continue to try, but his behavior is unpredictable and our relationship may never be stable. Again, with my husband he's the best bird you could ask for.

My research was done a little late, after the fact. Many of the things I complain about with Sucre seem to be typical cockatoo behavior - like Mare's little Sassy and her husband. That sounds just like Sucre. Sometimes I can't even walk into the room without setting him off when he's out and about with my husband.

So, here's my thoughts. You hear negative things because there are a lot of negative things about big parrots. I would rather hear the good and the bad than walk into it blind as many of us have. Again, good for you for doing your homework. The Goffins seem to be a bit more low key than the U2s from what I have read. I would be concerned with a large adult parrot and a toddler in the house, unless you can control their interactions without any slip ups. I think that would be hard to do if the bird weren't locked away in another room. For that reason alone, I would try to find a newly weaned baby, so the trust is formed from the start, and they grow up together. (I have a 4 year old grandson who is with us much of the time on the weekends. He is amazing with animals, and is allowed to talk to Sucre through the cage, but he knows never to touch him or stick his fingers in the cage. He is never left unsupervised in the room with Sucre, and Sucre is never allowed out of the cage when he is here.) I feel like if we had Sucre from the start, things might be different.

They also have that screech which you will not be able to control, and it's going to happen at least 2-3 times a day, and will seem to go on for hours, although it's usually only minutes. I read somewhere that in the wild, those screeches can be heard from 3 miles away. I tend to believe that. Just thinking it might be hard as far as nap time goes...(With Sucre it's usually a morning outburst, and an evening outburst.)

They are hysterically entertaining, when they aren't trying to kill you. They are definitely one of the most intelligent animals I have ever encountered, which can be problematic when they outsmart you! Sucre has a large vocabulary, and can carry on some of the most intelligent conversations I have all day - I'm a phone nurse in a busy doctors office! He has the sweetest voice when he is not in his manic mode - very child like and very easy to understand. I've heard males talk more and develop a larger vocabulary, but not sure if that is true or not. Sucre will repeat anything you say if you get his attention and repeat it 2-3 times in a row, slowly.

So, it's not all negative, just a lot of things I wish I had been aware of before hand.

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Having no real experience with large parrots, you are going to bite off the most humongous mouthful ever. Your chances of choking are going to be high. You could not have chosen a more high maintenance, demanding species that will tax you to your emotional limits use every ounce of patience you have and more. I'm not trying to be mean or judgemental. I'm just laying out the reality of what this "vision" you have. Reality has a way of smashing visions.

You will do whatever you like because that is your right. Take it from a very long time bird owner. Think long and hard about this. Then think long and hard again. This is a lifetime commitment. The good. The bad. The unbearable. There are no quitters. Rescues are full of cockatoos whose owners who had all the right intentions but had no idea of the "depth" of the commitment and time it would take. They quit on them.

This bird will not be happy or live long term (we're talking 40 -60 years) in a cage. It will need as much space as you do. It will need it's own large safe environment like a bird safe room/indoor aviary. You will no longer be able to travel without making extensive plans and in reality you can't really leave these highly emotional birds for any real length of time without it causing severe stress and destructive behaviours.

I appreciate your honesty, but I get all that and I'm still moving forward with adopting a parrot. Maybe it won't be a goffins, only time will tell if I find the right bird for me.

kendrafitz
02-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Excellently put Kim. :)

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 06:18 PM
I appreciate everyone's comments. But the way I see it is everyone starts somewhere. I'm not the type of person to get an animal on a whim, this has been three years in the making. And even still I'm not sure a goffin is what I'm going to get bc I have some time to decide.
I plan on making this animal a member of my family, not just eye candy in a cage. I don't even go on vacation now and all I have is a dog and cat plus a human child. I'm a stay at home mom so I have time.
I love everyone's concern, some was harsh bc it's like yeah what animal isn't a lot of work? I have to make my own dog food bc my dog is so picky lol
Plus my dad is actually a long time big bird owner so I'll have some help.
Hopefully I find the right parrot for me. I'm also looking at a severe macaw.
Anyone here got one? :) like I said I'm still researching

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 06:32 PM

Also, you don't know me. They told me I was "too small" to birth my baby naturally, and I labored at home with no meds for 12 hours, 6 hours of that being active labor. I birthed my viking baby all on my own, no intervention.
I'm unbelievably stubborn and I succeed at the things I want.
That being said, I know you're just warning me but saying things like "you're likely to choke" is annoying to me.
I also am looking at severe macaws bc of all the negativity cockatoos get lol no but really I'm just looking for a parrot that will fit me

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 07:04 PM
I have only had my U2 for a couple of months, so my experience is limited. I applaud you for doing your homework. I did not. I had kept budgies, cockatiels, finches my whole life, and thought I knew it all. But Sucre was an emergency rescue, owned by meth users who posted an ad on fb (for sale, of course) that if someone did not buy him that day, they were turning him loose outside. I couldn't stand that, offered them considerably less than what they were asking for him in cash and went and picked him up. No research. Had I done my research, I might have just taken him directly to a local lady who does bird rescue. He has a LOT of problems. His cage was not assembled, he had free roam of the house with 2 toddlers in it, and the entire house looked like the floor of a bird cage. Meth pipes were all over the place, and you could smell it. Supposedly this was his only home before coming to live with us, he's 6 years old, and a hormonal train wreck.

We've had to instigate many changes in his life. He now has cage time as we work and are gone from home 9 hours a day Monday through Friday. He's out every evening, but has to be closely supervised because I do small scale small animal rescue and we have quite the menagerie and everyone needs attention. The first week was perfect - the honeymoon period. He was well behaved and bonding with both myself and my husband. We didn't know about mating season, and my husband babied him too much and Sucre decided he was his mate, and I should die. He attacks me if given a chance, even though I continue working to gain his trust, but after you've been attacked a couple of times with that beak, it's hard to get past the fear, and I'm certain he senses that in me. We have daily show downs - I am as stubborn as he is. He is an angel with my husband.

He is highly intelligent, talks and sings non stop and very well, argues with himself, throws temper tantrums anytime I do anything with him, including feed him. Everything I offer (other than cornbread sticks or pound cake) goes slamming into the floor of his cage.

He's a work in progress. We took him to the vet two weeks after we got him, they didn't know how long it would take him to go through the withdrawals from the meth, but thought that, along with hormones raging, would be the majority of his hostility. We're supposed to take him back if things don't improve and consider starting him on an antipsychotic, since we don't know what he meth exposure may have done to his brain long term. He's learning about discipline and structure, he doesn't like it, but he knows the meaning of the word NO and he hears it a lot. I have tried everything I have been advised to try with him, and continue to try, but his behavior is unpredictable and our relationship may never be stable. Again, with my husband he's the best bird you could ask for.

My research was done a little late, after the fact. Many of the things I complain about with Sucre seem to be typical cockatoo behavior - like Mare's little Sassy and her husband. That sounds just like Sucre. Sometimes I can't even walk into the room without setting him off when he's out and about with my husband.

So, here's my thoughts. You hear negative things because there are a lot of negative things about big parrots. I would rather hear the good and the bad than walk into it blind as many of us have. Again, good for you for doing your homework. The Goffins seem to be a bit more low key than the U2s from what I have read. I would be concerned with a large adult parrot and a toddler in the house, unless you can control their interactions without any slip ups. I think that would be hard to do if the bird weren't locked away in another room. For that reason alone, I would try to find a newly weaned baby, so the trust is formed from the start, and they grow up together. (I have a 4 year old grandson who is with us much of the time on the weekends. He is amazing with animals, and is allowed to talk to Sucre through the cage, but he knows never to touch him or stick his fingers in the cage. He is never left unsupervised in the room with Sucre, and Sucre is never allowed out of the cage when he is here.) I feel like if we had Sucre from the start, things might be different.

They also have that screech which you will not be able to control, and it's going to happen at least 2-3 times a day, and will seem to go on for hours, although it's usually only minutes. I read somewhere that in the wild, those screeches can be heard from 3 miles away. I tend to believe that. Just thinking it might be hard as far as nap time goes...(With Sucre it's usually a morning outburst, and an evening outburst.)

They are hysterically entertaining, when they aren't trying to kill you. They are definitely one of the most intelligent animals I have ever encountered, which can be problematic when they outsmart you! Sucre has a large vocabulary, and can carry on some of the most intelligent conversations I have all day - I'm a phone nurse in a busy doctors office! He has the sweetest voice when he is not in his manic mode - very child like and very easy to understand. I've heard males talk more and develop a larger vocabulary, but not sure if that is true or not. Sucre will repeat anything you say if you get his attention and repeat it 2-3 times in a row, slowly.

So, it's not all negative, just a lot of things I wish I had been aware of before hand.
Yeah the bird and the toddler bit is what worries me. How ever, my kid is starting day care soon so there's that. But I am looking at different birds too. I love the severe macaw and I'm considering getting one as a baby to have it raised In my home. But if I find an adoptable one that's a keeper then that be my route.
Maybe RIGHT now a goffins isn't for me. Only time will tell [emoji5]

lolsavannahh
02-16-2016, 07:43 PM
That's bull****. People keep trying to tell me not to adopt a golfing cockatoo and while I understand it's a huge commitment, if I find an older gal or guy who's mellow why shouldn't I adopt. I've been waiting years to get a bird and not plan on doing it til November anyway. Just researching.
People can be rude and I'm sorry.

Okay so I saw this on another forum and if you think we are there just trying to be rude or tell you not to get it you are badly misreading the situation. We, BIRD OWNERS, are telling you our honest stories and opinions about a first time owner getting a goffins cockatoo as a pet bird. Not a singe person said " don't get a cockatoo" "don't get a bird" or anything along those lines. Near the end when someone stated a V E R Y honest opinion, that 99% of bird owners agree with (and I would have said it myself if I had known you better) you started to kinda ignore all of our comments... Birds are a huge commitment and it seems you are just not getting that through your head. We are just trying to warn you that 1) a cockatoo as a first bird is going to be a huge change in your life and you will most likely not be ready at first, and it will be stressful for not only you but your family. Most birds are harder to take care of than DOGS. You can't just throw a toy for them and then they go entertain themselves. You cannot let them go play outside alone while you do your chores, you NEED to include them, and it can make your chores take 3 times as long.
Birds are 3 year old children that can and will attack you when something goes wrong, and it's not always your fault. I once wore a bright orange shirt to the bird rescue I volunteer at and I went to play with my favorite macaw, whom was friendly with me and let me hold him upside-down like a baby, and when I reached into his cage he bit my wrist so hard it broke in 2 places. JUST BECAUSE I WORE AN ORANGE SHIRT. This bird and I were very close, but he didn't like this color because maybe his previous owner wore it and abused him, or even that he just didn't like the color, I don't know. You know how hard it is to raise and have a toddler, so you just need to know that this is like having another toddler that will NEVER EVER grow up.. seriously. Birds have the intelligence of 3 year old humans and they will most likely live longer than you will. Are you prepared to have a toddler for the rest of your life? If you are then PLEASE, rescue a bird! You are seriously 1 in a million, and we appreciate your patience with children and birds, but if you are not, then that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a bird, but you should just take this all into consideration.
Not one person here is being rude, and you need to understand that. We want what is best for these animals and what is best for you. A macaw or a cockatoo is so so much work and money that most of us here who have owned or cared for one wouldn't recommend it for 80% of humans in the world. Their brains are so filled with knowledge and power that you just can't control it. They will outsmart you, and you need to understand this. You cannot punish them like you can a child, they will fight back. Did you know that macaws can have over 100 pounds of pressure per square inch of their beak. You can't yell at them, you definately can't hit them, or do anything else. The worst you could possibly do is just put them in their cage, but even that is just cruel to the bird. They deserve to be out of their cage 12-16 hours a day considering their intelligence and how they are not domestic animals. Once again this is just brushing the surface of owning a bird, and all we are doing is just saying " Hey! This is bigger than getting a dog! This is a money-shredding, time-shredding, vacation-ruining, plan-crushing thing! Be prepared!" You will likely never be able to go on a vacation ever again and if you do, it can't be longer than 3-4 days without your bird possibly getting anxiety, plucking, or having new behavioral problems because you left them with a new human and they didn't know why.

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Okay so I saw this on another forum and if you think we are there just trying to be rude or tell you not to get it you are badly misreading the situation. We, BIRD OWNERS, are telling you our honest stories and opinions about a first time owner getting a goffins cockatoo as a pet bird. Not a singe person said " don't get a cockatoo" "don't get a bird" or anything along those lines. Near the end when someone stated a V E R Y honest opinion, that 99% of bird owners agree with (and I would have said it myself if I had known you better) you started to kinda ignore all of our comments... Birds are a huge commitment and it seems you are just not getting that through your head. We are just trying to warn you that 1) a cockatoo as a first bird is going to be a huge change in your life and you will most likely not be ready at first, and it will be stressful for not only you but your family. Most birds are harder to take care of than DOGS. You can't just throw a toy for them and then they go entertain themselves. You cannot let them go play outside alone while you do your chores, you NEED to include them, and it can make your chores take 3 times as long.
Birds are 3 year old children that can and will attack you when something goes wrong, and it'd not always your fault. I once wore a bright orange shirt to the bird rescue I volunteer at and I went to play with my favorite macaw, whom was friendly with me and let me hold him upside-down like a baby, and when I reached into his cage he bit my wrist so hard it broke in 2 places. JUST BECAUSE I WORE AN ORANGE SHIRT. This bird and I were very close, but he didn't like this color because maybe his previous owner wore it and abused him, or even that he just didn't like the color, I don't know. You know how hard it is to raise and have a toddler, so you just need to know that this is like having another toddler that will NEVER EVER grow up.. seriously. Birds have the intelligence of 3 year old humans and they will most likely live longer than you will. Are you prepared to have a toddler for the rest of your life? If you are then PLEASE, rescue a bird! You are seriously 1 in a million, and we appreciate your patience with children and birds, but if you are not, then that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a bird, but you should just take this all into consideration.
Not one person here is being rude, and you need to understand that. We want what is best for these animals and what is best for you. A macaw or a cockatoo is so so much work and money that most of us here who have owned or cared for one wouldn't recommend it for 80% of humans in the world. Their brains are so filled with knowledge and power that you just can't control it. They will outsmart you, and you need to understand this. You cannot punish them like you can a child, they will fight back. Did you know that macaws can have over 100 pounds of pressure per square inch of their beak. You can't yell at them, you definately can't hit them, or do anything else. The worst you could possibly do is just put them in their cage, but even that is just cruel to the bird. They deserve to be out of their cage 12-16 hours a day considering their intelligence and how they are not domestic animals. Once again this is just brushing the surface of owning a bird, and all we are doing is just saying " Hey! This is bigger than getting a dog! This is a money-shredding, time-shredding, vacation-ruining, plan-crushing thing! Be prepared!" You will likely never be able to go on a vacation ever again and if you do, it can't be longer than 3-4 days without your bird possibly getting anxiety, plucking, or having new behavioral problems because you left them with a new human and they didn't know why.
Do you also think this is the only place I've asked about cockatoos? All I'm asking for are respectful answers and you're talking to me like I've never read a thing. I've been researching and wanting a bird for years. I'm finally, FINALLY FINANCIALLY STABLE enough to own one.
Again, mind your manners bc I'm not stupid and I've done my research.

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 09:22 PM
I appreciate everyone (almost everyone's answer. ) but now I know asking some people results in this garbage.
To those who were helpful thanks. Hopefully I meet the bird of my dreams soon! ♡♡♡

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Birds are 3 year old children that can and will attack you when something goes wrong, and it'd not always your fault. I once wore a bright orange shirt to the bird rescue I volunteer at and I went to play with my favorite macaw, whom was friendly with me and let me hold him upside-down like a baby, and when I reached into his cage he bit my wrist so hard it broke in 2 places. JUST BECAUSE I WORE AN ORANGE SHIRT. This bird and I were very close, but he didn't like this color because maybe his previous owner wore it and abused him, or even that he just didn't like the color, I don't know. You know how hard it is to raise and have a toddler, so you just need to know that this is like having another toddler that will NEVER EVER grow up.. seriously. Birds have the intelligence of 3 year old humans and they will most likely live longer than you will. Are you prepared to have a toddler for the rest of your life? If you are then PLEASE, rescue a bird! You are seriously 1 in a million, and we appreciate your patience with children and birds, but if you are not, then that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a bird, but you should just take this all into consideration.
OK so maybe I over reacted before but I was more so talking about the tone of that guys message. I truly don't likebeing spoken down to.
Maybe my cockatoo idea was a bad one, I'm still doing my research. But I am still looking for a bird you know? So it's like if maybe someone gave advice on a different medium sized parrot that would be cool.
But telling me how horrible life is with one is super annoying. All birds are difficult

kendrafitz
02-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Wow, we have some hurt feelings going around the forum today. [emoji20]

Ok, I don't have experience with cockatoos or severe macaws. I have read about both on the forums. I actually went to see an M2 when we met Rosie. I will tell you what my avian vet told me when I said we were thinking of a too but ended up not going that route due to my son's asthma. He said that he was so happy that we did not get a too. There are so many of them in rescues for a reason. Yes, they are sweet and cuddly. But they are not like that because they just feel like it. They NEED to have constant companionship. Most people are just not able to give these creatures what they need. So they end up bringing their once cute and cuddly bird to the rescue bc it has been plucking, screaming, etc.

My opinion is those guys are super smart and they need much more stimulation than most of us can give them. Which can result in a living hell for both the bird and the people. That is not to say that no one should ever share their life with a too. It just means that they are more challenging companions.

I know nothing about severes. I have read they are a more challenging macaw with a tendency to overbond. But that is all I know. I have a bird that is super bonded so I know that it can be tough at times.

I don't have much experience with any parrots but Rosie. I have always been enamored with male ekkies. I am not sure what quirks they have. But gosh they are just so sweet.

I also love blue throat macaws. Very sweet as well. The only thing is I have read they are super mechanical. Take their cage apart while you were at the store type mechanical.

Every bird will have quirks, just like people. You just need to find the quirks that work well with your quirks. [emoji6] Rosie and I work well together (most days) bc she is a goofball and I am goofy. We must sound like two dopes to anyone walking by. Silly talk and laughing.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Mcowell87
02-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Wow, we have some hurt feelings going around the forum today. [emoji20]

Ok, I don't have experience with cockatoos or severe macaws. I have read about both on the forums. I actually went to see an M2 when we met Rosie. I will tell you what my avian vet told me when I said we were thinking of a too but ended up not going that route due to my son's asthma. He said that he was so happy that we did not get a too. There are so many of them in rescues for a reason. Yes, they are sweet and cuddly. But they are not like that because they just feel like it. They NEED to have constant companionship. Most people are just not able to give these creatures what they need. So they end up bringing their once cute and cuddly bird to the rescue bc it has been plucking, screaming, etc.

My opinion is those guys are super smart and they need much more stimulation than most of us can give them. Which can result in a living hell for both the bird and the people. That is not to say that no one should ever share their life with a too. It just means that they are more challenging companions.

I know nothing about severes. I have read they are a more challenging macaw with a tendency to overbond. But that is all I know. I have a bird that is super bonded so I know that it can be tough at times.

I don't have much experience with any parrots but Rosie. I have always been enamored with male ekkies. I am not sure what quirks they have. But gosh they are just so sweet.

I also love blue throat macaws. Very sweet as well. The only thing is I have read they are super mechanical. Take their cage apart while you were at the store type mechanical.

Every bird will have quirks, just like people. You just need to find the quirks that work well with your quirks. [emoji6] Rosie and I work well together (most days) bc she is a goofball and I am goofy. We must sound like two dopes to anyone walking by. Silly talk and laughing.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Yeah I was having a moment before! I completely understand not taking one on, I just want to find a medium sized bird to take on.
It just really irks me when all I see is one giant negative comment.
Yours was nice and helpful. I can jive with that.

lolsavannahh
02-16-2016, 11:56 PM
You are taking my comment the wrong way. I promise I am not talking down to you and I certainly know you have been doing amazing research and if anything you're way more capable to own a too than most people and I am not trying to talk you out of it. You are getting angry or hurt with the way I am saying these things and that is NOT what I am intending I am truly trying to help and I understand now that it is not coming across that way. You are an adult and you can make your own personal and financial choices and that's 100% ok! I guess we bird owners want others to know how big it is to get a bird and it comes off as rude.. I volunteer at a bird rescue and we just see so many birds come through our door that it's heart breaking. We currently have several cockatoos and it's just sad to see what other people will do unintentionally to them and I know that you will most likely never do that and you have the best heart going into this and I am sorry for tearing away at that good heart! Severe macaws are beautiful and I definitely say do your research first! Haha there's a reason they're called " severe " macaws. We hope you will find that perfect bird be it a too or anything else an we support you fully!

Mcowell87
02-17-2016, 12:21 AM
You are taking my comment the wrong way. I promise I am not talking down to you and I certainly know you have been doing amazing research and if anything you're way more capable to own a too than most people and I am not trying to talk you out of it. You are getting angry or hurt with the way I am saying these things and that is NOT what I am intending I am truly trying to help and I understand now that it is not coming across that way. You are an adult and you can make your own personal and financial choices and that's 100% ok! I guess we bird owners want others to know how big it is to get a bird and it comes off as rude.. I volunteer at a bird rescue and we just see so many birds come through our door that it's heart breaking. We currently have several cockatoos and it's just sad to see what other people will do unintentionally to them and I know that you will most likely never do that and you have the best heart going into this and I am sorry for tearing away at that good heart! Severe macaws are beautiful and I definitely say do your research first! Haha there's a reason they're called " severe " macaws. We hope you will find that perfect bird be it a too or anything else an we support you fully!
And I'm sorry I turned into a too when I snapped for no reason. I apologize. Lol seriously though love every persons opinion.
And the more I read about mini macaws, nah no thanks haha
I figure I have til November to decide on a bird. I'll b stalking much more[emoji7]

Lady
02-17-2016, 12:48 AM
Hi Mcowell87 and welcome to PP

Wow I'm so late to this thread, please forgive me. Have you done any research on the Hahn's Macaw? They are the smallest of the mini species and from what I have read very easy going in general. Also are you able to visit a rescue and see what some of these birds are like face to face so to speak. Maybe even a breeder or yes, even a shop. There is nothing more exciting to me then seeing them live.

I have a Illiger's and she is what I look forward to coming home to each day after work (after my hubby of course)! She has been with us about 7 years. Unlike you I didn't do much research before we brought her home, but I have owned many different birds years before and thought I knew what we were getting our selves into.

Lady is a wonderful girl, most of the time. Stubborn as heck when she wants to be, doesn't like to cuddle but will allow me to scratch her head and neck. Making kindling out of her toys seems to be her favorite thing to do while she waits for me to come home. She can go through a $25 toy in two days or less. She enjoys bath time in her water dish and is happy if I join in with a sprayer.
She and I had a much stronger bond earlier on in our relationship, but as of late it seems she is gaining interest in my hubby, which is wonderful as long as I can still get some love too. She isn't too loud but some days she is more vocal than others. Her bite is for sure worse than her bark.
We don't have small children so I don't know how she would be with them and we don't have many folks visit with her as she doesn't seem to take kindly to strangers even looking her way.

If I should ever find myself wanting a new member of family I would lean toward a Hahn's. I would hope to go to a breeder and get a baby because I would love to form a strong bond while s/he is young. Of course that doesn't mean s/he wouldn't prefer my hubby over me in time but I hope I would have a good chance at having a good trusting relationship.

Mcowell87
02-17-2016, 02:02 AM
Hi Mcowell87 and welcome to PP

Wow I'm so late to this thread, please forgive me. Have you done any research on the Hahn's Macaw? They are the smallest of the mini species and from what I have read very easy going in general. Also are you able to visit a rescue and see what some of these birds are like face to face so to speak. Maybe even a breeder or yes, even a shop. There is nothing more exciting to me then seeing them live.

I have a Illiger's and she is a what I look forward to coming home to each day after work (after my hubby of course)! She has been with us about 7 years. Unlike you I didn't do much research before we brought her home, but I have owned many different birds years before and thought I knew what we were getting our selves into.

Lady is a wonderful girl, most of the time. Stubborn as heck when she wants to be, doesn't like to cuddle but will allow me to scratch her head and neck. Making kindling out of her toys seems to be her favorite thing to do while she waits for me to come home. She can go through a $25 toy in two days or less. She enjoys bath time in her water dish and is happy if I join in with a sprayer.
She and I had a much stronger bond earlier on in our relationship, but as of late it seems she is gaining interest in my hubby, which is wonderful as long as I can still get some love too. She isn't too loud but some days she is more vocal than others. Her bite is for sure worse than her bark.
We don't have small children so I don't know how she would be with them and we don't have many folks visit with her as she doesn't seem to take kindly to strangers even looking her way.

If I should ever find myself wanting a new member of family I would lean toward a Hahn's. I would hope to go to a breeder and get a baby because I would love to form a strong bond while s/he is young. Of course that doesn't mean s/he wouldn't prefer my hubby over me in time but I hope I would have a good chance at having a good trusting relationship.
Thanks for your response! I'm honestly glad to be researching first, I really hope I find a suitable bird for us.
Thank you also for your advice!

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Hello there, I can't give good advice on a Goffins Cockatoo because I don't have one. I have a Amazon and a Severe Macaw, to be honest they get hormonal but that only lasts for so long and it can be remedied. Goffins are pretty but I am biased for Zons and Macs. :P

A lot of websites will attack folks or even mentioning getting a bird while admitting they have no prior experience, but no worries PP is not like those other sites. The people here at PP are so kind and friendly, so no worries we all gotta start somewhere. Look at me, I never had firsthand experience with big birds but I jumped right in did research and bought one well okay I bought two haha... No regrets here.

Good luck! I think adding a pet bird is a good idea! and I agree a medium to large bird is a better idea, it's easier to bond and love on them in my honest opinion.