PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything they can't destroy???

Sucre
02-13-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm talking toy wise for inside the cage.

I didn't have a clue when we picked him up, so I (of course) ran out and bought over $100 in toys, all of which were shredded within 24 hours. (Wooden swing, ladder, you name it, it was in there.)

We put large limbs inside his cage - shredded.

I've taken dog chain collars, and hung chunks of wood from them. He shreds the wood then somehow manages to pull the chain out and it winds up in the bottom of the cage.

He will not leave his bowls in their holders, but will play with them on the bottom of the cage for hours.

We have blocks and a glass container, trying to teach him to drop them inside. We have all kinds of balls and toys up on top of his playground. He won't stay there 5 seconds, slides straight down and has to be glued to my husband. He's a one person bird, he thinks he's human, and it's almost as if he finds himself too dignified to play.

I'd really like to assemble something inside the cage that he could occupy his time with but couldn't destroy before the day was over. Any pics or suggestions?

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-13-2016, 04:59 PM
A parrots mission in life is to destroy, its what they enjoy most so why deny them? By making sure that Casper has a ready supply of his favourites, cuttlefish and wooden blocks to chew on we find that his perches are lasting a lot longer.

My son (who used to work for the ambulance service) and I were discussing the fact the the emergency services are all too keen to cut the roof off your car to get you out even if you only have a hurt finger. This may just be a UK phenomenon. The conversation got a bit surreal when we had the idea that the emergency services could use parrots instead of those metal cutters, which apparently are called the jaws of life. We ended up with a fit of the giggles at the idea of a fireman saying to his mate "This Amazon isn't big enough for this SUV, fetch me the macaw from the wagon"

Lady
02-13-2016, 06:56 PM
I find it a relief that Lady is destroying her toys. To me it means that she is getting enough to keep her entertained and away from anything I don't want destroyed. I agree that it is a natural thing for them to do and would worry if she didn't. I think it is a good exercise for them to keep their beaks and nails in good condition. Remember in the wild the wood they chew is alive and regrows unlike the wood we give them.

spiritbird
02-13-2016, 09:10 PM
I know a too person that buys wood for his cockatoos and the chip pile is very high and usually good for kindling.

Bird Mom
02-13-2016, 09:33 PM
You could try making some cheaper toys for him to destroy with muffin cups or coffee filters. My cockatiel loves them! You can also make newspaper rings. Just braid them like hair and tie them in a ring. I also have straw toys. Tie them in the middle and move them in all different directions. I use jute twine to tie the toys.
I get toys and perches off of doctor foster and smith and amazon, not sure if you have checked out those sites or not, but they have great prices!

Sucre
02-14-2016, 12:13 AM
I have bought expensive toys made specifically for parrots. He makes short work of them. He has a ton of toys to play with outside the cage, just looking for something to stimulate him inside the cage when we aren't around - something he can't destroy before we get out of the driveway! I saw an idea for a swing earlier today, it was circular, and had strips of cloth tied all around it. I'm going to go to Lowe's tomorrow and search for the ring part.

My kids weren't this difficult to keep happy.

Tia, Sucre is a U2, the paper and straw toys don't last 10 seconds. I'm wanting something a little more durable that will keep him busy for a bit. My lovebirds and parrotlet love the paper and straw toys!

Mare
02-14-2016, 02:18 AM
Kim, every once in a while I'll spend good money on pretty, large, parrot toys just because I think I should..?.. These guys are chewers, period! They don't care what color/shape/texture or flavor it is..their main focus is chewing. Yesterday my husband cut me up a bunch of lengths of 1 1/4" pine..3-6" lengths. I drilled a hole through the middle of the lengths and strung them on wire. This is how my cockatoos entertain themselves...chewing!

Amigo is a free flyer and you would not believe the damage he can do to a whole oak tree! Let me know if you would like to see a before and after of his work. This is what he likes to do, ALL..DAY..LONG!!

kendrafitz
02-14-2016, 02:23 AM
I know some people give cockatoos phone books to destroy. Maybe give it a try and see how long it takes to completely destroy?

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Willow branches are supposed to be parrot favourites, they can strip the bark easily and the wood is quite tough. As per usual, Casper hasn't bothered with the bark stripping of the expensive willow perch we bought him from a company in Scotland. But a willow perch might be a bit more of a challenge to Sucre than normal stuff.

Oh and yes please Mare, can we see the pictures, I love your pictures.

Sucre
02-14-2016, 04:16 PM
I agree, Mare, pics are a must. (Maybe it will make me feel better about that missing corner on one of my favorite shelves!)

Right now, he's inside a large shoe box destroying a phone book - I am going to have to start begging for old phone books, I guess. It's quite the mess but who cares if he isn't screeching!

We are having bad weather today, ice and snow, so we're all stuck inside together for the day, trying to make the best of it. I've got a swing project that I am working on for him. I sure seem to do a lot to try to make a bird who wants to kill me happy!

Mare
02-14-2016, 09:01 PM
You're a good person, Kim..Sucre just doesn't know it :). I'm guessing he will eventually warm up to you. Amigo has mellowed out with the men in my life..they still can't touch him but at least he isn't doing flying attacks anymore.

The pics I was looking to post are on my photobucket which is, at the moment, on strike. After my last photo post, it seized up, not too unusual, and will start working again when it feels like it..hopefully soon :)

Mare
02-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Okay, photobucket let me grab one picture..then she seized up again!! Arghh!

This is what Amigo's tree use to look like...
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I'll show his "now" tree, soon..

Mare
02-16-2016, 02:57 AM
This is how his tree now looks. As you can see, he is a busy boy :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Sucre
02-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Oh, goodness, Mare! If he would only prune where you want him to!!!

Sucre would have a blast in our yard if he could fly free - we have tons of trees and woods behind our house.

How did you get Amigo to that point? I bet he's a pretty well behaved U2, he must wear himself out and get all of the stimulation he needs. Can he come in and out freely? It would be so NICE if Sucre could work off his screeching outside.

Since the area is wooded surrounding our house, we have lost of hawks and owls, so this isn't something I could ever try, because with Sucre's attitude, he wouldn't steer clear, he would probably initiate the confrontation. But I am just so amazed by Amigo! And so envious of his freedom for Sucre!

mdg1109
02-25-2016, 01:22 AM
It is funny that you posted this. I am a new cockatoo owner and we brought Charlie home a week ago, I think he is settling in because he is starting to chew more and has destroyed several of his foot toys that we have bought him. I have found that he likes to play with empty applesauce cups, after my kids are done with them I wash them out and then put some apple in them. He likes to throw the cups around the bottom of the cage after he eats the apple.

Charlie is only 3 1/2 months old and I am sure his love to chew is just going to grow with him.

I think the phone book idea is great, I am going to have to try that.

Good Luck!

spiritbird
02-25-2016, 04:16 AM
I know Too owners who go to lumber yards and buy large amounts of safe wood for the birds. They end up with a tooth pick pile.

Macaw Lover
02-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Get yourself a miter saw with a stand. You want at least a 12 inch blade on it too. Two of my Macaws don't want the wood hanging, they prefer to just pick it up in their foot and destroy it but then along came Donovan. I had blocks of wood sitting on his shelf in the cage and I hung it on a corkscrew but he would not touch the stuff. No way, no how. I was just cutting up the 2x4's into blocks and giving them to him that way. He did not like it that way I tell you. My friend suggested just cutting them up cross wise into thinner things and that is what he will then break off but they have to be hung on that corkscrew, no sitting on his shelf

Now I have a drill press, I can cut the wood into 1-1/2 in thickness, but don't go to 2 inches as he does not want them that thick and this is a big Macaw!!!!! I have to drill the holes in there for him but I can spend a heck of a lot less money buying 4x4's for him and he is a happy little birdie.

Now if you want stainless steel toys that he won't chew up you want to go to Avian Stainless. The site is down currently because of issues but check in a couple of days to see if it is up and get your little one some of their toys but DO NOT only provide indestructible toys as all birds DO NEED things that can turn into toothpicks or piles of paper shredding.