PDA

View Full Version : Itachi has a brother on the way!

Pudgerigar
02-12-2016, 06:31 PM
So I've had SUCH success with Itachi, my standard size budgie, in just a few short weeks (brought him home the 26th of January). He's got a 70% success rate for stepping up when my hand is offered, he's eating pellets and veggies, never bites unless toweled (working on that), he's been muttering what may turn into his first words soon, and yesterday learned to play AND he flew to my hand when called! Prodigious bird! I'm so, so lucky.

But I can tell he's terribly lonely for his own kind. I'd intended to wait until he was fully trained to get a buddy, but since he's progressing so fast I bet he'll be in good enough shape by the time the next little one is ready.

What little one? Well, the same specialty shop I got him from has a pair of English budgies on eggs! A beautiful pied green female and a blue male with a baby yellow face. Should be interesting outcomes! I've reserved one. So in twoish months, Itachi will have a brother (or wifey... who knows!). The size difference should be cute, haha.

I'm terribly excited and anxious for my poor lonely budge to have his friend. And SO curious as to the colors that the pair can produce (predictions welcome... there's four eggs).

Mom and dad:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I'll update when they hatch :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albert
02-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Arent you worried that the 2 of them will imprint on each other and leave you in the cold?

Just curious, why would need to towel a budgie? Not usually a good thing to do, trust wise.

Pudgerigar
02-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Personally, I'm more worried about his emotional health than whether he pays attention to me, and most budgie experts say that quality of life just isn't the same without at least one friend of their own kind. I don't mind anyone else's decision, but every reason I can think of to keep him singly benefits me rather than him. They're flock birds, they need each other.

On the other hand, the issue of them ignoring me can largely be avoided by having him fully trained and attached to me before adding the friend. Conventional budgie-specific wisdom is that as long as they're good and attached to you before you add a second budge, they'll continue to seek and enjoy your attention, and even help the newcomer trust you and learn how things are done! I've talked to many owners and breeders who have had success with that method.

Toweling is for wing trims and nail trims and just in case he needs medical care. Most of the info I found is that I should get him used to it by toweling him affectionately for no reason so that he doesn't fear it and struggle when he really needs it. I'm not a fan of wing trimming, but I did it this once so that I could train him easier and because he managed to smack into the wall and hurt his cere last time he flew off in a panic. He's calmed down immensely and trusts me much more now. I'll let them grow out with his next molt once he consistently returns on command.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2016, 10:15 PM
That sound's like a good plan to me. :th_smile:
Casper hates towels, we have to move very slowly, even if we are only reaching for one to dry our hands when he is on a shoulder. So getting your budgies used to towels through play sounds an excellent idea even if they aren't a mass of slashing, hurtful claws and beaks like a reluctant Amazon.

kendrafitz
02-13-2016, 12:40 AM
Congrats!

It is a good idea to get them used to towels. I have had no luck with Rosie. She HATES towels. I think she associates them with the vet. I keep trying but she won't go for it. So if you can do it, that is awesome. It's good for emergencies. :)