PDA

View Full Version : Meet my buddy - Red Crowned Mexican

BirdWhisperer
02-12-2016, 04:20 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Albert
02-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Handsome looking Amazon you got there. WHats his name?

BirdWhisperer
02-12-2016, 05:03 PM
It's Carlos for now, that was the name the owner gave him. Im waiting for the Dna sexing results to make sure. Either way I plan on changing his name to possibly Carlisle if a boy or Carla if a girl. :) and thank you. Salty is handsome too. :D

Mare
02-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Carlos, for now, is a beauty! Do you know how old he/she is and where did you get him?

BirdWhisperer
02-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Carlos, for now, is a beauty! Do you know how old he/she is and where did you get him?

He's 7 years old, I found him on craigslist, the owner could no longer afford to care for him.

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Welcome to PP Kristin and Carlos/Carlisle/Carla. Is your Amazon molting at the moment? Casper has been leaving a trail of feathers and down all over the place today, you could almost follow his route. :th_smile:

spiritbird
02-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi Kristin. I am glad to see you on PP. We met on the other forum where you told the detailed story of Carlos. I will be soon working on that signature for you.

BirdWhisperer
02-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Welcome to PP Kristin and Carlos/Carlisle/Carla. Is your Amazon molting at the moment? Casper has been leaving a trail of feathers and down all over the place today, you could almost follow his route. :th_smile:

I don't think so yet, do they molt yearly or? Your bird looks handsome. :D I love that Name Casper!

Hi Kristin. I am glad to see you on PP. We met on the other forum where you told the detailed story of Carlos. I will be soon working on that signature for you.

Thanks a lot. :) I knew you looked familiar hehe.

kendrafitz
02-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Hi and welcome! What a gorgeous guy/girl!!!

BirdWhisperer
02-13-2016, 12:55 AM
Thank you so much! :D

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Casper molts twice a year, in January/February and September/October. And then randomly the primary wing and tail feathers, and a couple of times since he came here (3 years ago) the feathers across the top of his beak all at once - which seems a daft way to do it if you ask me, but what do I know, I'm not an Amazon.
A floofy moment:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
New hairstyle ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

Comments from Margaret (Casper's best friend):

It looks like there has been an explosion in a pillow factory

Your stuffings coming out (when there is down everywhere)

More pics in Casper's flickr album [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

BirdWhisperer
02-13-2016, 11:04 AM
That is too cute , awww

Lady
02-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Hi Kristin :pp_welcome:

Your amazon is quite the looker~ So nice of you to post a pic of h/her. How exciting to have a new bird join your family. What made you want a bird and did you want an amazon in particular?

BirdWhisperer
02-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi Kristin :pp_welcome:

Your amazon is quite the looker~ So nice of you to post a pic of h/her. How exciting to have a new bird join your family. What made you want a bird and did you want an amazon in particular?

Thank you so much. :)

I wanted a bird mainly because I love pets, I had already owned a dog, 2 cats, a rabbit, some chickens, ducks, geese, Guinea fowl, turkeys, and some indoor budgies. I may never naturally have another baby, I only have a 2 year old it was a very tough and dangerous pregnancy for my daughter. So yea animals help me cope with so much, and on top of that it's hard for me to socialize well since I have Tourette's and so forth.

I honestly wanted an Amazon or a macaw, I saw a zon I liked at the store but unfortunately it was not for sale. I found my buddy here on Craigslist so I just had to get him. :) best decision I ever made to be quite honest.

PlaxMacaws
02-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Wow, Carlos/Carlisle/Carla is a very nice looking Zon! Sorry to be late to your thread, but welcome to our community, Kristin :D

BirdWhisperer
02-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Wow, Carlos/Carlisle/Carla is a very nice looking Zon! Sorry to be late to your thread, but welcome to our community, Kristin :D

Thank you for the welcome. :) yup he or she's definitely my little buddy. :P

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 01:33 AM

He is hormonal, I opened to take some pics and he was doing a dance and his eyes began to rapidly dilate, so I was like okay... I will leave you to yourself for a tad. :P He didn't want to be bothered. Earlier he took a very small tumble and fell to the soft carpet because he was going crazy on the short perch my hubby made, I am sure he is okay Thank God.

I feel so sad for him during these hormonal phases because sometimes he just goes out of it, poor guy but he will be just fine with due time.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 03:07 AM

This is a drawing I did for my buddy :) - On my other topic about Jazzy I will post my new drawing of her! Please check it out in the Macaw section!

PS. I am sorry it's upside down, on my pc it is right side up but for some reason on here it is upside down. :P

Edit: Update on Carlos, he is now saying step up because Jazzy says it. I swear I think he is pulling out all the tricks because he is jealous but not in a mean destructive way but in a cute way. Now when Jazzy talks I can hear him talk from the other room, I have them separated for quarantine but he can hear her haha.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 04:35 AM
PS. I am sorry it's upside down, on my pc it is right side up but for some reason on here it is upside down. :PI guess that means you're flippin' the bird at us :th_laughing8:

Carlos is looking very nice. He's pretty. Thanks for posting :)

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 05:02 AM
I guess that means you're flippin' the bird at us :th_laughing8:

Carlos is looking very nice. He's pretty. Thanks for posting :)

Ha-ha that is a good one! And thanks, he's definitely my buddy. I just feel so sorry for him sometimes because since his wing is messed up he does not have good balance.

Lady
02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
Nice drawing of Carlos. Seems you have a knack for it. In spite of his situation you will make his world wonderful with the love and attention he is getting.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Nice drawing of Carlos. Seems you have a knack for it. In spite of his situation you will make his world wonderful with the love and attention he is getting.

Thank you. I definitely try to accommodate him in his predicament. :) last night he slid to the carpet not hard, he was doing his crazy dance thing going crazy on me. Poor guy, he's alright though.

Lady
02-17-2016, 05:04 PM
HAHA a crazy dance? Sounds like Lady! She does a lot of swaying and her whole body bobs up and down with wings flapping. It cracks me up :catatua03:!

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 06:13 PM
I need help to cope... The lady who sold Carlos not only didn't tell me about the wing, but I got the test result Carlos is a SHE! AND she has been exposed to parrot fever! They don't know if she is a carrier they just know she's been exposed. I have to get another test done now...

I contacted the previous owner she said she was told the bird was a HE, and she said he was the only bird there. And she claims is wing is perfectly fine and intact. She said she will get her children checked, but I'm left worrying about my own two year old and Jazzy and the budgies. She also said the bird didn't appear sick. I have noticed she puffs up a lot and sleeps a lot, she still eats but not a lot. Please pray...

I don't want to lose my babies!!! I feel utterly deceived.

I will name her Ruby.... Bless her lord. I don't want to lose her, I feel sick I can't bare this... Pray she's not a carrier.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 06:16 PM
The lady said she had the bird for 6 years and she purchased her when she was a year old... Ruby is 7. The lady said no symptoms with the bird or her family. Should i worry?

Lady
02-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Aww Kristin, I'm sending prayers for all of you. Try not to think the worst, but do what you need to do for your child and Ruby. Take a deep breath and follow what the avian vet tells you.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Aww Kristin, I'm sending prayers for all of you. Try not to think the worst, but do what you need to do for your child and Ruby. Take a deep breath and follow what the avian vet tells you.

I'm truly heartbroken... I feel like a dummy. I truly love Ruby but If she has this it could put us all at risk.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
I feel like that movie Outbreak about Ebola except this isn't Ebola it's parrot fever. I'm worried about my daughter, my husband, and my entire flock! :(

Lady
02-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Yes, I understand but let's not loose hope! When is the next test so you can know for sure and take the appropriate action.

Macaw Lover
02-17-2016, 07:23 PM
First rule when bringing any bird into your home is quarantine. That is a responsibility that always needs to be adhered to because you don't know if a bird could be carrying something and when the bird gets stressed, that is the time things might appear.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 07:26 PM
First rule when bringing any bird into your home is quarantine. That is a responsibility that always needs to be adhered to because you don't know if a bird could be carrying something and when the bird gets stressed, that is the time things might appear.

She is definitely quarantined.

Macaw Lover
02-17-2016, 07:37 PM
She is definitely quarantined.
So she has been separated from your other 'Tiels and Jazzy and Jazzy is also separated for the 'Tiels and you have been doing the whole 9 yards of proper quarantine measures with changing clothes and showers each and every time you handle them and keeping everything separated then? I so hope so, for everyone's sake.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 07:49 PM
First of all, I'm very sorry to learn of your bad news concerning Ruby's potential health concern. It may be a good idea to have her re-tested in order to rule out a false positive for the psittacosis pathogen. I'm glad that you initially decided to keep Ruby isolated upon arrival at your home. Beyond that, it's a very good idea to disinfect your hands each time you handle Ruby or her items.

I'm sure you've done some research, but here's a brief description of psittacosis symptoms in humans and birds:

In humans, the symptoms are fever, headache, chills and sometimes pneumonia. Some people may only experience mild flu-like illness, or show no illness at all. In birds, the symptoms include poor appetite, ruffled appearance, eye or nose discharge and diarrhea. Occasionally, birds may die from psittacosis.

And here is a very good informational page on psittacosis: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] The illness is treatable with antibiotics - often doxycycline is used.

There is additional information at the following URLs:

Please keep us updated.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 08:35 PM
The test she had just shows that she had antibodies for that particular illness, but that doesn't mean she necessarily has it and I pray she don't. I'm worried but perhaps it was either a false positive or she has antibodies but not a carrier. The doctor said she may not even be a carrier.

I heard parrot fever is rare, someone please tell me it's possible that it was a false positive?

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 08:42 PM
A further thought: I think it important to learn the test method that rendered the positive result for psittacosis. Was a culture prepared and evaluated? If not, it probably should be. Reading a bit, I have leaned that a number of test methods exist for detection of psittacosis in birds, and that many of those methods may render false positive results. It appears that performing a culture may be the most accurate means to determine whether the pathogen is actually present in Ruby's system. At the very least, she should be retested.

Another test, latex agglutination, detects antibodies to psittacosis. But this test has mixed results and will not detect carriers. Other commercially available tests exist, which I cannot mention by name, but give very high degrees of false positive results in my experience. These tests cannot be relied upon, and I do not recommend their use. “Gold standard” tests rely upon culturing the organisms, but unfortunately are only done at the university level.from: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 08:46 PM
The test she had just shows that she had antibodies for that particular illness, but that doesn't mean she necessarily has it and I pray she don't. I'm worried but perhaps it was either a false positive or she has antibodies but not a carrier. The doctor said she may not even be a carrier.

I heard parrot fever is rare, someone please tell me it's possible that it was a false positive?It is possible that it may be a false positive. Please ask your vet what he/she recommends as the next step.

EDIT:
I posted my previous message before I read your post before it. So I didn't realize that it was only the presence of antibodies that was detected. I think the testing needs to be further pursued.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 08:50 PM
It is possible that it may be a false positive. Please ask your vet what he/she recommends as the next step.

I think they just checked her blood, I thought they checked the feces my hubby said they didn't. Then again the doctor said that the next test would be a swab of her mouth and bottom so obviously they probably didn't do that prior I don't know I will check my receipt if I have it. Hopefully it's a false positive.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Okay. As stated in my edit, further testing needs to be done. Please follow your avian vet's advice about proceeding. And please keep us updated.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Okay. As stated in my edit, further testing needs to be done. Please follow your avian vet's advice about proceeding. And please keep us updated.

Okay I hope all is well. Ruby does ruffle her feathers but only when she's napping and she sleeps on one leg. I never see discharge in the nose or eyes, no real signs of illness so I will try to remain hopeful while taking her to the vet.

spiritbird
02-17-2016, 09:06 PM
I am so sorry. You do not have enough information yet to make any decisions. Tony knows a lot about this type of thing so please heed what he is telling you. I would not believe a thing the CL lady tells you nor would I want to talk to her again. She is totally untrustworthy.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Okay I pray all is well. Ruby does ruffle her feathers but only when she's napping and she sleeps on one leg. I never see discharge in the nose or eyes, no real signs of illness so I will try to remain hopeful while taking her to the vet.I see. She is either carrying the illness in an inactive state -OR- she doesn't have it. Lets hope for the latter!

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 09:15 PM
I am so sorry. You do not have enough information yet to make any decisions. Tony knows a lot about this type of thing so please heed what he is telling you. I would not believe a thing the CL lady tells you nor would I want to talk to her again. She is totally untrustworthy.

I sure will, I don't trust her either to be honest.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 09:16 PM
I see. She is either carrying the illness in an inactive state -OR- she doesn't have it. Lets hope for the latter!

I hope for the latter. I looked at her droppings and they are normal color, dark green and brown with white, no lime green anywhere and not any diarrhea. I have an appointment tomorrow for her.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 09:29 PM
I hope for the latter. I looked at her droppings and they are normal color, dark green and brown with white, no lime green anywhere and not any diarrhea. I have an appointment tomorrow for her.Good. That's the best that you can hope for at the moment.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 09:44 PM
It just amazes me that the lady said he was dna tested male and that she was told a male, yet the vet told me she tested female. When I presented this to the lady she refused to call Ruby a girl, but insisted on calling him a "he". She also seemed defensive when I mentioned Ruby will have to be tested for parrot fever, and when I mentioned the wing she denied everything! She said the wing was perfectly fine. I just don't see how she didn't noticed these things... I don't mind Ruby having a missing arm on her wing, I am just worried for my whole house knowing she could possibly be a carrier, then again my husband believes it was a false positive.... We shall see. After all the lady said she had the bird for 6 years around no other birds and no other problems.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 09:55 PM
It just amazes me that the lady said he was dna tested male and that she was told a male, yet the vet told me she tested female. When I presented this to the lady she refused to call Ruby a girl, but insisted on calling him a "he". She also seemed defensive when I mentioned Ruby will have to be tested for parrot fever, and when I mentioned the wing she denied everything! She said the wing was perfectly fine. I just don't see how she didn't noticed these things... I don't mind Ruby having a missing arm on her wing, I am just worried for my whole house knowing she could possibly be a carrier, then again my husband believes it was a false positive.... We shall see. After all the lady said she had the bird for 6 years around no other birds and no other problems.As Dianne has stated, the lady is obviously not credible to obtain information from. But there's still a reasonable chance that the detected presence of antibodies was a false positive. If it turns out to be a false positive -as we all hope it will- we can put it to rest and relax :)

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 10:11 PM
As Dianne has stated, the lady is obviously not credible to obtain information from. But there's still a reasonable chance that the detected presence of antibodies was a false positive. If it turns out to be a false positive -as we all hope it will- we can put it to rest and relax :)

I don't know if I want to test Ruby tomorrow... I don't trust the government, and it may be a false positive... if it is positive they will jump all over me and my whole flock. We will all have to be quarantined, they will take my bird and force her on wacky vaccines... I am SO SCARED.

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 10:46 PM
I don't know if I want to test Ruby tomorrow... I don't trust the government, and it may be a false positive... if it is positive they will jump all over me and my whole flock. We will all have to be quarantined, they will take my bird and force her on wacky vaccines... I am SO SCARED.I'm not sure that's what would happen. But even if the situation is likely to trigger an investigation and protective measures, be mindful that the vet clinic already has indication that Ruby may be infected. So whatever you do next (further testing, etc.) cannot make the situation worse in terms of public concern and health authority response, only better. I would have her tested.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure that's what would happen. But even if the situation is likely to trigger an investigation and protective measures, be mindful that the vet clinic already has indication that Ruby may be infected. So whatever you do next (further testing, etc.) cannot make the situation worse in terms of public concern and health authority response, only better. I would have her tested.

The doctor says now he feels like there is no need to report to the authorities since it's just antibodies and there is no indication as of yet that she is a carrier, he says if she appears sick bring her in but he recommends I do the further testing he said if those tests prove positive then he will have to report her to the authorities. That's what scares me...

PlaxMacaws
02-17-2016, 11:27 PM
The doctor says now he feels like there is no need to report to the authorities since it's just antibodies and there is no indication as of yet that she is a carrier, he says if she appears sick bring her in but he recommends I do the further testing he said if those tests prove positive then he will have to report her to the authorities. That's what scares me...I understand your fear. And your vet is correct. I won't recommend not having the further testing done. But it's ultimately up to you.

spiritbird
02-17-2016, 11:48 PM
Remember you may be putting all of your birds and any human who has come in contact with Ruby at risk for respiratory diseases associated like Pneumonia. In this case I think the responsible thing to do is to find out exactly what is going on. Otherwise you will be holding your household and birds in quarantine for a long long time.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I know and understand how you feel but there are other lives that may be involved here. I am not meaning to be harsh to you. I want to give you a hug for all you have been through.

This article shows the test that can be done on a suspected bird including radiology. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 11:54 PM
I understand your fear. And your vet is correct. I won't recommend not having the further testing done. But it's ultimately up to you.

I will get her tested. I just hate putting Ruby through this... Last time he had to wrap her up in a towel and she was screaming, it broke my heart. He was so afraid of being bit that at one point he let her fall, thankfully not far as he had at least caught her half way but she still fell from his hand.

I hope everyone understands I'm just scared, I love Ruby so much. I know how the government is, they create this stuff and spread it to depopulate the earth.

Thank you Tony I know you're right I'm just so scared my pets are all I have along with my hubby and daughter.

BirdWhisperer
02-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Remember you may be putting all of your birds and any human who has come in contact with Ruby at risk for respiratory diseases associated like Pneumonia. In this case I think the responsible thing to do is to find out exactly what is going on. Otherwise you will be holding your household and birds in quarantine for a long long time.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I know and understand how you feel but there are other lives that may be involved here. I am not meaning to be harsh to you. I want to give you a hug for all you have been through.

This article shows the test that can be done on a suspected bird including radiology. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Thank you, I will read these links. I will take Ruby to her appointment tomorrow, I'm so scared. I love all my pets so much. I love my human family so much too. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

PlaxMacaws
02-18-2016, 12:49 AM
Thank you Tony I know you're right I'm just so scared my pets are all I have along with my hubby and daughter.I understand, Kristin. And you're sure welcome. We do care! :th_sadhug:

BirdWhisperer
02-18-2016, 01:20 AM
I understand, Kristin. And you're sure welcome. We do care! :th_sadhug:

Thank you Tony, I'm glad I have these forums. I'm glad you guys welcome me and my pets. (Hugs) Everyone here at PP have been so kind to me. I will try to have more faith, I will stay optimistic and not let Ruby see I'm worried.

spiritbird
02-18-2016, 01:46 AM
Suggest you let the vet do the testing and you go in when he is finished. That way Ruby will not associate you with the deed. That's what I would do. Others may not agree.

BirdWhisperer
02-18-2016, 01:49 AM
Suggest you let the vet do the testing and you go in when he is finished. That way Ruby will not associate you with the deed. That's what I would do. Others may not agree.

This makes sense :) thank you all here at PP.

kendrafitz
02-18-2016, 02:03 AM
Is your vet an avian vet? I only ask bc he was afraid of getting bitten.

I had Rosie see an exotic vet that wasn't avian once. Her vet was away and I was assured this vet would be more than comfortable with the big beak. Well, she wasnt. She was terrified of Rosie and it was a big, long disaster.

I agree that it is safest to have her tested.

Tony - is this the same thing that our friend caught? The man that had 2 GWS that passed?

BirdWhisperer
02-18-2016, 02:11 AM
Is your vet an avian vet? I only ask bc he was afraid of getting bitten.

I had Rosie see an exotic vet that wasn't avian once. Her vet was away and I was assured this vet would be more than comfortable with the big beak. Well, she wasnt. She was terrified of Rosie and it was a big, long disaster.

I agree that it is safest to have her tested.

Tony - is this the same thing that our friend caught? The man that had 2 GWS that passed?

It's a vet that sees birds, turtles, dogs, cats etc. I don't think they see a lot of birds though I'm not positive though but he definitely didn't want bit. Honestly I'm not afraid to be bit.

kendrafitz
02-18-2016, 02:17 AM
Ok, that makes sense. If you have an avian vet in your area, you may eventually want to think of switching. Bit not everyone has that option. I know they can be few and far between.

Lots of vets are afraid of beaks. My dogs vet will not see birds. Thankfully Rosie has a great vet close by.

I will be sending you lots of good thoughts.

BirdWhisperer
02-18-2016, 03:06 AM
Ok, that makes sense. If you have an avian vet in your area, you may eventually want to think of switching. Bit not everyone has that option. I know they can be few and far between.

Lots of vets are afraid of beaks. My dogs vet will not see birds. Thankfully Rosie has a great vet close by.

I will be sending you lots of good thoughts.

Thank you, I will look around some more you are right I need to find a exotic bird specialist :P

spiritbird
02-18-2016, 03:58 AM
Avian vets seem to have a natural love for Parrots. I have been to three and they all have birds. By the way Kristin you are in Phoenix Landing area. They have a great web page, organization and educational events that are free. Home base is NC. They also sell really nice toys at their meetings. I learned so much from them. Maybe you and your husband could go a few times.

BirdWhisperer
02-18-2016, 04:20 AM
Avian vets seem to have a natural love for Parrots. I have been to three and they all have birds. By the way Kristin you are in Phoenix Landing area. They have a great web page, organization and educational events that are free. Home base is NC. They also sell really nice toys at their meetings. I learned so much from them. Maybe you and your husband could go a few times.

How do I find their website? Thank you :)

PlaxMacaws
02-18-2016, 04:46 AM
Tony - is this the same thing that our friend caught? The man that had 2 GWS that passed?I don't know... it's anyone's guess, Kendra. He had symptoms of pneumonia and that can stem from psittacosis... but I don't feel that anyone reporting to us really knew for sure what the illness contacted by the birds in fact was. Or, for that matter, who became ill first. All I know for certain is that it was tragically sad :'(

PlaxMacaws
02-18-2016, 04:49 AM
Thank you, I will look around some more you are right I need to find a exotic bird specialist :PYes. Absolutely do that if possible, Kristin.

BirdWhisperer
02-18-2016, 11:49 PM
They checked Ruby, they did the testing needed to check for Parrot Fever, results in a week.

Is it normal for birds to bleed a tad after a swab of the bottom area? Thank you.

spiritbird
02-19-2016, 12:34 AM
I really don't know if it's normal. I tend to think no.

PlaxMacaws
02-19-2016, 12:43 AM
I don't believe it's normal to breach to the point of bleeding from a cloacal swap. But my guess is that it depends upon how smoothly the vet was able to perform the procedure. He/she may have done it too abruptly. If the bleeding was noted right after the procedure and it has since subsided, I would guess there's little to be concerned about. But if you continue to notice a discharge of blood you should report it to your vet immediately.

Please let us know how it goes. Poor Ruby :(. Hopefully she'll be fine.

Lady
02-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm not reading this with anxious intent. Kristin, stay strong and think positive.

"Parrot fever, also called parrot disease and psittacosis, is very rare. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there have been fewer than 50 confirmed cases per year in the United States since 1996, although many cases may have gone undiagnosed or unreported (CDC)." I got that quote from here: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

BirdWhisperer
02-19-2016, 01:05 AM
My husband thinks it's all bs. My appointment was at 4:45, we didn't get to see the actual Doctor until 2 hours later! He didn't even do the tests, the nurses did! And Ruby had a tad bit of blood! The doctor said it was normal but I don't know if I trust that! It appeared to stop, but Ruby did bite the blood out of a nurse and I worry about backlash like if a nurse or doc would get mad and hurt Ruby while I'm not looking. Ruby is like my daughter to me I love all my babies. I have been so depressed over all this.

Camelotshadow
02-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Congrats on your sweet girl Ruby.
I'm so sorry the lab report came back with antibodies for Parrot Fever.
I hope the next set of tests prove she does not have it.

I love your new siggy!

spiritbird
02-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Hope your search for another vet that has an avian specialty goes well. I really think the staff in a vets office are used to animals trying to and actually biting them. They should be taking precautions so this does not happen.

BirdWhisperer
02-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Congrats on your sweet girl Ruby.
I'm so sorry the lab report came back with antibodies for Parrot Fever.
I hope the next set of tests prove she does not have it.

I love your new siggy!

Thank you, I really hope so also :)

Hope your search for another vet that has an avian specialty goes well. I really think the staff in a vets office are used to animals trying to and actually biting them. They should be taking precautions so this does not happen.

We plan to look around, that's the last time I'm going there for sure. I'll travel before I go back there.