PDA

View Full Version : How freindly are green wings with strangers?

B1n
02-11-2016, 12:09 AM
How freindly are green wings with strangers?

kendrafitz
02-11-2016, 01:58 AM
Depends on how socialized they are.

Mine is fairly shy with people she doesn't know. She will only ask to step up to people if she wants to get to me. She isn't going to cuddle with people she doesn't know.

Mare
02-11-2016, 04:22 AM
I'm guessing, like with most birds, there has got to be a motive for them to step up on you.

94lt1
02-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Um...well..most green wings are fairly intimidating.. Most people will steer clear of them unless they have a sense of adventure and not know what it could mean to lose a digit..that's just my opinion..

Ours was a rescue..certain people he adores..others .he will take it upon himself to bring the wrath of hell upon them..lol..guess which ones that is...surprise..sometimes we don't Even know lol.

But as said..some can be very docile.. Others not so much..watch the eyes and show no fear...

PlaxMacaws
02-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Salsa is a sweetheart (with me) and certainly comes across as a lovable clown. But please understand that he would be glad to remove a couple of fingers from someone he doesn't know if they attempt to handle him. There are GW's who are friendly to nearly everyone. But an individual bird's personality and, as mentioned, its socialization history will determine that.

B1n
02-11-2016, 10:54 PM
How about when compared to b&g's?

Karen
02-12-2016, 12:17 AM
As Brandon said GW's are intimidating. You WILL be afraid and a GW will know this. This is not a good combination for success.

I have 2 adults, there will be blood if you reach for them before they get to know you and agree to a friendship.

So to answer your question; my GW's are not friendly with strangers at all.

Mare
02-12-2016, 01:47 AM
Good answer, Karen. Personally, I think that being able to "read" a bird is of utmost importance to not getting bit and to be able to read that bird, you have to spend some time with it.

94lt1
02-12-2016, 02:26 AM
The eyes... Look at the eyes and watch the neck feathers. They seem to use them alot to say...back off...at least Monte does ..

kendrafitz
02-12-2016, 02:41 AM
Great answers. Reading a bird is huge to being friends. With Rosie, my GW, you can see when she is not happy. Pinning eyes, mohawk and in some cases lunging. Though that usually only happens when she is on me and someone gets in her space.

I always treat new animals the way I do people. I wouldn't go up to a person I don't know and try to grab/cuddle them without getting to know them. So I don't do that with animals. I follow their lead. :)

You have to remember, macaws have big, strong beaks that can cause MAJOR damage. B&Gs beaks are smaller than a GWs, but it is still a big beak. So it is important to respect the beak and the bird that goes with it.

Albert
02-12-2016, 03:40 AM
Personally i tend to stay away from birds that can rip half of one's face off. I mean i like macaws and i know a few nice friendly ones but not many.

Mare
02-12-2016, 04:17 AM
The eyes... Look at the eyes and watch the neck feathers. They seem to use them alot to say...back off...at least Monte does ..

My birds don't have the pinning eyes but their body language says so much :) The neck feathers are a huge part of communication!

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Strangers come to our house and some of them, on seeing Casper, go over to him and start wiggling their fingers in his face. Well, nobody has been savaged yet but it does seem to be a strange and stupid thing to do.

Karen
02-13-2016, 12:29 AM
Great answers. Reading a bird is huge to being friends. With Rosie, my GW, you can see when she is not happy. Pinning eyes, mohawk and in some cases lunging. Though that usually only happens when she is on me and someone gets in her space.

By mohawk, I assume you mean she stands the feathers up on her head? My male GW who can be testy is most dangerous when he flattens the feathers down on his head (there's no arch to the head at all) and his eyes turn to slits.

I would be interesting to see a thread where we could post pictures showing body language.

kendrafitz
02-13-2016, 12:34 AM
Karen, yes, just her head feathers, not her neck at all. So your guys feathers get flatter than they normally are? I haven't seen my diva do that....yet.

I would be interested in a thread like that as well. It would be a great learning opportunity as well as super interesting.

If I can get some pics of her displaying happy or annoyed I will post. Right now she is sitting with me grinding her beak happily getting ready for bed. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Margaret likens the sound of beak scraping to the sound of chalk screeching on a blackboard - both set her teeth on edge. :th_smile: