PDA

View Full Version : Jenday Conure - Strange Behavior

jellocake
02-02-2016, 02:02 AM
Hello, all.
I have made this account in desparation, seeking other people who know significantly more about birds than I do.
I have recently moved in with my significant other, who has a 17 year old jenday conure named Drib. Drib and I get along very well; she's a sweet girl. Prior to moving in with SO, I read every article and post I could get my hands on about conure behavior and bird-owning in general.

Last week, she laid two eggs. This was not her first go-around with egg laying. But something feels different this time.

Drib spends most of her day sitting on these two eggs, making *very* angry rapid-fire chirps. She sounds SO ticked off. It's not her normal soft, mommy chirps that she's made with clutches in the past. If you approach her, she hops off of them and happily will greet you, and play peek a boo, and give kisses. But only for about five minutes, then she sits back down on the eggs and begins making the angry sounds again. Yesterday I heard the chirps escalate into full out ANGRY alarm calls, like she used to do to me when she first met me. I ran in there, and she was just sitting there on the eggs. Until she saw me, and then hopped up to greet. But I'm not kidding, it's all day that she sounds mad at these eggs.

I don't know. SO is extremely uncomfortable with these new sounds and this behavior. He is terrified that she's egg bound; he feels she still looks like she has one more egg (I disagree, but he knows her better). I have educated myself as much as possible on the signs and symptoms of binding, and never came across anything like this. I've never come across anything matching her current behavior with an explanation. I am reaching out to the birdy community to gain some insight on what might be going on.

Some Drib stats, if they count for anything:
-She has had two strokes in her life. She does not have any adverse physical effects from them, which makes me wary she might have had a mental effect?
-She was on an all seed diet for her entire life, until I started my research and convinced SO that it's terrible for her. She gets a couple drops of vitamins in her water every day, and a 1/4 seed 3/4 Kaytee Complete mix, with some fruits thrown in (she won't touch veggies)
-She was a chronic picker when she was younger, and no longer grows feathers at all on her breast. Her remaining feathers look chewed on and ragged.
-Her poop looks normal, if a bit watery at times.
-She is not, nor ever has been, clipped.

Please have mercy on me, bird owners. I am new to this. SO is not, but I don't think he has been very responsible in the last handful of years. He loves his bird so much, but does a LOT of things I have read that he should not. But this is his bird, and he gets sensitive and shuts down when I try to tell him things. That is a problem with him and with our relationship, something I am aware of.

I am hoping someone can lend some insight.

I have been working on convincing him to take her to a vet. There is something blocking him, I don't know what it is.
Maybe if one of you has a good idea of what might be happening with Drib, I can convince him more thoroughly.

spiritbird
02-02-2016, 03:18 AM
Welcome to PP. I am sorry you are in this turmoil and understand you have the birds welfare at heart. You are right about an avian vet visit. Sooner rather than later. Have you looked in the birds vent area to see if there is any swelling? one thing that I know worked for another egg bound bird was taking her in a steamed up bathroom for a while to see if egg passes. I am trying to get our resident breeder here to give advice. Cedardave. If it is an egg this bird's life is at risk.

spiritbird
02-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Cedardave where are you?

jellocake
02-02-2016, 05:53 PM
I don't think her vent is swollen, but she does seem to be straining to poop. I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is an egg in there. I observed her for some time this morning (normal behaviors today, minimal yelling while on the eggs). When she climbs up to the particular perch she likes to poop from, she does a LOT of tail wagging before going, and it makes a little pop sound. Poop looks normal, maybe a little watery, but I hesitate to describe it watery since I'm not terribly experienced.
Anyway, after she goes, her vent looks a little more, uhh, puckered than usual, and it sort, uh, pulses for a few seconds.

I was curious if birds get hemorrhoids?

And maybe that's why she sounds angry - maybe she's trying to lay this egg, but it hurts?

spiritbird
02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Please do not delay finding out if there is an egg stuck. An avian vet could ease your mind or see to it the hen is relieved of this pain.
Why leave a bird in possible Pain? Really any time there is a change in behavior its a good idea to have it evaluated by a professional.

jellocake
02-02-2016, 06:08 PM
I totally agree.
I have phone consult with an avian vet set up, as soon as one is available, they are going to call me back.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't take her myself, or I would (she likes me, but doesn't entirely trust me yet. Won't step up or let me touch her)

spiritbird
02-02-2016, 06:29 PM
In a pinch you could towel her to get to the vet. Hope this all turns out OK for everyone, especially the bird.

spiritbird
02-03-2016, 02:09 AM
I sent you a private message. Look up top in Notifications.

plax
02-03-2016, 05:53 AM
I've had limited Internet access all day.

I agree that your Jenday should be assessed as soon as possible by an avian veterinarian. At the very least, an egg bind situation needs to be ruled out. It's possible though that the behavior you've described is motivated by an unusually intense flood of hormones. But for Drib's sake I would get her to a qualified vet forthwith.

Best of luck to all involved! Please keep us informed. I apologize for replying here so late.

spiritbird
02-03-2016, 01:08 PM
How did the phone consult go?

Cedardave
02-15-2016, 01:39 AM
Hey...sorry I'm so slow to reply.If her vent doesn't appear swollen that's good.The unusual behaviour is a bit concerning.If she has layed eggs before...has it been more than 2?She may indeed be egg bound or reacting differently since her diet has been upgraded from an all seed diet(lots of oil)...to a pelleted diet with less oils.This could account for a change in behaviour around egg laying.If your not adding calcium to her diet,then start..particularly when she's in the egg stage,as her body will be depleted .Oyster shells are a great source.Heat them in the oven to sanitize..put them in a blender to create a powder..add to morning feeding.You can give a little bit of coconut oil.Im well versed in most things breeding related...but not a vet.If in doubt...your birds life sis at risk if she is egg bound for to long or if the egg breaks inside.If you aren't able to get her to an avian vet...watch carefully at her vent.If there is leakage that resembles a mucus, then she has a broken egg coming out and it becomes vet time immediately...no delays.It doesn't take long once an egg breaks inside for her life to be in immediate risk.I don't mean to make that sound scared...but it is the reality.You know your bird and her behaviour best...when in doubt...vet is the best option.Please keep us posted

Cedardave
02-15-2016, 01:44 AM
One further thought...While she is a bit swollen and straining...feed her soft foods.Kale ,broccoli and fruit can aid in a less painful passing out the vent.Dont stress her by changing to many things at once.