PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from new budgie mom in SC!

Pudgerigar
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Hey y'all! I'm Pudgerigar, yes you can use Pudge for short. I live in North Charleston, South Carolina, USA!

About two months ago I decided it was time to act on my lifelong desire to keep a bird friend in my home. I put myself on the research track and decided that a budgerigar was the right first bird for me. Luckily, there's a specialty bird store pretty close to me, with everything from finches to macaws, all very well cared for and housed, in great health. The owner had just had a clutch of standard American budgies hatch, and was planning to handfeed three of them! So I got to visit my little buddies while I was "nesting" and researching/buying cages and the like. Got my little lemon boy, Itachi, home last Tuesday, and the avian vet adored him and gave him a robust and clean bill of health. It's been a great experience, and it's about to start all over as there's an English budgie hen on eggs right now. I'm in the "budgies need a friend of their own kind" camp, so one of these will be my first baby's buddy in a couple months :D

As you can tell I'm a long-winded sort of person.

Long story short: I managed to get the most hardheaded and fussy budgie that ever still managed to keep the title "hand tame"! He's a force to be reckoned with for someone so young and small, but honestly he's just like me and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm looking forward to sharing our learning experiences, goofs, and triumphs here, and seeing everyone else's amazing birds as well!

Here's Itachi:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Hi and welcome Pudge, a great first post. :th_smile:
Itachi is really handsome and your photos are excellent, I admire the use of a dark background to bring out his detail. Is photography your profession or are you just an enthusiast?

Pudgerigar
02-02-2016, 12:13 AM
Thank you! I just happen to have a black section of wall in my room that's used as a chalkboard. These were taken with a regular ol' iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spiritbird
02-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi Pudge and Itachi. I love budgies, especially English. Lucky you to have a nice pet store near you. So tempting! Your photos are indeed excellent for a phone. When you get the other budgie I would love to make a signature for you.

wingman
02-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Hello and Welcome...

kendrafitz
02-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Hi Pudge and welcome!!

Mare
02-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Hola! A big WELCOME to you and Itachi! Beautiful photos!

Lady
02-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Hi Pudge and Itachi,
:pp_welcome:
Nice to meet you both. What a handsome little guy he is.

PlaxMacaws
02-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Hi Pudge. Thanks for joining us! I too love your photos of Itachi. He's beautiful. Please be as long-winded as you like and post lots of photos :D

94lt1
02-04-2016, 01:42 AM
Great looking fid. Welcome :)