PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kentucky!

Sucre
01-30-2016, 08:48 PM
My name is Kim, and I found this forum searching for hands on advice from parrot lovers.

I've had small birds off and on my whole life, but my husband and I have just ventured into the parrot world, and we dove in deep!

I had decided a few months ago that I would like to have some lovebirds. We now have 4 - Saffron and Echo - beautiful color mutations, and Drogo and Khaleesi - 2 Fischer lovebirds - Khaleesi is a beautiful Lutino. And, yes, we're huge Game of Throne fans, in case anyone is wondering about the names! I completed hand raising all of them when they got down to 2 feedings a day.

But, I also fell head over heels in love with a tiny dilute blue parrotlet baby, so we got him, too.

And, then came Sucre. We rescued him. He's 6 years old and quite the handful. I don't believe he was ever abused, but he was truly neglected and exposed to drugs (methamphetamines and who knows what else. He's a beautiful boy, but he's been quite the challenge, as he was allowed free roam of the home he was in before 24/7 - his cage was in pieces when we picked him up. So, we're basically devoting a lot of time trying to work through his issues and get him used to some sort of schedule / structure.

We also have 3 dogs, a huge lab, a Chihuahua, and a terrier mix. The Chi and the terrier mix are both rescues. And I can't forget the two cats!

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you! I've ventured a long way from my parrokeets, finches and cockatiels. I may require some counselling now and then!

Kim

Lady
01-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Hi Kim and Welcome to P.P.

You sound very excited about your wonderful family. I look forward to hearing more from you. Oh, by the way.... we love pics so if you feel you have some to share please by all means do!

spiritbird
01-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the forum and the Too world.

kendrafitz
01-31-2016, 03:17 AM
Hi Kim and welcome!!

Casper's 2nd best friend
01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Hello Kim
that sounds like quite a full time flock you've gathered together. I applaud you for taking on the smackhead Too.

Sucre
01-31-2016, 03:08 PM
I have some decent pics of Sucre, he loves to pose for the camera. The little ones are a different story, but I can show you what I do have.

This is Sucre, trying to look all sweet and innocent - it makes me laugh to look at this pic, because I know the little psycho inside! (And the mini blind behind his cage got replaced the next day. We never even found parts of it.)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psk6x6lcup.jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psk6x6lcup.jpg.html)

This is Saffron, she's the problem child of my lovebird world. Not sure what color variation you would call her, she was the product of 2 peach face parents, one green and one yellow. She has the faintest green on her belly, white tailfeathers and a white tip to all of her wing feathers. She's my bully bird. She lives in "time out".

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psrqubdns6.jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] psrqubdns6.jpg.html)

This is little Echo, probably my favorite of the lovebirds. He/she has the sweetest personality, and the picture does not do him justice. He is a deep teal color with the gray to black face.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] 8.jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] 8.jpg.html)

And, this is my lutino Fischer, Khaleesi. I think we should have named her Rainbow - I will try to get a better pic of her later. The only color I don't see in her is blue!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] .jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] .jpg.html)

This is Drogo, my other Fischer. My phone camera is awful but his coloring is amazing, too.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] u.jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] u.jpg.html)

And, last, and maybe tiniest, but certainly NOT least, is Jasmine, my dilute blue parrotlet. (And yes, I'm pretty much positive by markings that Jasmine is a he, but it fit so well when I first got him! And it's my favorite scent!)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] .jpg ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] .jpg.html)

I am going to try to get some up to date pics of the babies today - all of those were made a couple of weeks ago as I was getting them out to handfeed - I was trying to get the pics before they wound up with formula all over them, they were ready to eat and not overly cooperative for a photo shoot!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to settling in and getting to know you and your babies!

Mare
01-31-2016, 04:23 PM
Hello, Kim! Welcome to you and your beautiful family :th_welcomesign: Taking the leap into U2dom is HUGE! I applaud you for taking on Sucre. I have a 15 year old named Amigo and what a special character, he is! I look forward to hearing more of your adventures!

Sucre
01-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Thank you, Mare. We've only had Sucre for a month now, and I must admit we've had our challenges with him. The first week, everything was great. He started to really bond with my husband and he decided it was time to take me out of the picture. We didn't know anything about large parrots, unfortunately, just grabbed him out of a bad situation and ran with it. My husband fell in love with Sucre, and they bonded a bit too much, apparently in mating season. So, Sucre decided he was going to run me off, one way or the other. We had to back off completely and rethink everything we were doing. We had his wings clipped, nails and beak trimmed, and he decided he hated the vet more than he hated me, so it kind of gave us a chance to start all over. I only had his wings clipped because the majority of his full fledged attacks on me were aerial, and I knew I could outrun him! He's quite the character, and now that he is learning that he cannot have free roam of the house non stop, and my husband is not being as affectionate with him as he was, we seem to have things under control. The vet told us that with the meth exposure, it would take some time to get it out of his system, just like going through withdrawals. He also said that if he had been abused, that would lead to a longer adjustment period. He was living in filth, but I do not know if he was physically abused or not. The floor of the house he lived in looked like the filthiest bird cage bottom you can possibly imagine. I can't believe they even let me inside to get him. His diet was pure seed, and the cheapest to be found - I know because they sent a bag with him. We've got him on a good pellet now, with only a sprinkle of seed, and he's slowly adapting to a good diet of fruit and veggies. I introduce something new every week, and continue to introduce things he doesn't show interest in the first time around. He seems very happy, and I just can't explain how far we've come in such a short time. That's not to say that the week he decided to kill me wasn't trying or I didn't think what in the world have I done, and I'm not crazy enough to think their won't be problems in the future, but we'll get there.

I am amazed by your Amigo! Free flying? And he always comes back? Does he ever go very far? Doesn't it make you nervous?

Mare
01-31-2016, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you are doing an amazing job with Sucre, especially considering where he came from..poor buddy :(. Amigo was my first bird, he came to me when he was 8 yrs. old and WOW, it felt like we had been broadsided by a train! We sure weren't expecting THAT! The noise, the tantrums, his destructive nature and aggression we learned real fast that this was not going to be an easy ride! It took time and patience to get us to today with our lovely monster :)

He's been free flying for 5-6 years and yes, he always comes home and doesn't go too far away, he knows his territory very well. I only get nervous when there is a hawk in the territory but he's very aware and so far..has kept himself safe and out of too much trouble :)

wingman
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Hi Kim ! Welcome...

PlaxMacaws
02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
A belated hello to you, Kim. Thanks to you and your birds for joining us :D

spiritbird
02-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Welcome Kim. Your bird are totally beautiful. Thanks for joining us.

BirdWhisperer
02-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Those are some pretty birds you got there! , welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here! :D