PDA

View Full Version : Day cage for livingroom

bill-e
01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
We don't have room in our living room for a large cage so Nike's cage is in my computer room/library. I spend a lot of time in there when I'm home but my wife doesnt so Nike is somewhat separated from the household action.

I have a temporary playstand that I made but it sits in the middle of the livingroom and is in the way.

What I'd like to find is some kind of round cage for the livingroom as a day cage. We have cats and a dog so we don't leave Nike out and unattended on the play stand so I think a small day cage might be better for her.

What I'd really like is a play stand with a cage top which can simply be lifted off or on for protection when needed.

I haven't found any round or cylindrical cages on Amazon...has anyone seen that or can anyone offer other suggestions? The cage doesnt actually have to be round, but smaller footprint and look decent for a living room.

Also, We plan on taking her on a few camping trips this summer and I was going to get one of those travel cages on Amazon for that purpose but a smaller day cage might work just as well.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Casper's 2nd best friend
01-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Hi Bill
We use a flight cage for Casper when we take him on our sailing boat or go away for a weekend trip in the car. It is really strong and also very heavy despite being only about 18" cube and made of aluminium. I would think you would find it too small, too expensive and rather too well made for you requirements so I am sort of advising you what not to get. :th_smile:
It looks like this, exactly like this cos this is it!

kendrafitz
01-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Hmmmm, I haven't seen anything like you are describing.

Rosie goes in her night cage when we are out. Otherwise she is on me, one of her stands or her java tree. I just use a wire dog crate for her carrier. I was thinking maybe a large dog crate on a tall table or counter. But cats could still get up there so that may not work.

spiritbird
01-10-2016, 11:46 PM
You may not find any round bird cages because they are not recommended. Round cages can be bad news because they can be detrimental to a parrot's psychological health. Birds are very intelligent creatures, but many have driven themselves crazy climbing around and around in round cages, and feeling like they're never getting anywhere. Giving a bird an angular cage provides them with reference points to different locations in their territories -- thus helping them feel confident, safe, and secure.

bill-e
01-11-2016, 02:29 AM
I have another cage, it will just take some effort on my part to convince my wife to put it in the Living room

bill-e
01-11-2016, 02:33 AM
And I'm considering this one for the camper

Amazon ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Casper's 2nd best friend
01-11-2016, 04:12 PM
That looks cool, a good price (compared to what we would pay in the UK) and some good reviews. No mention of actual size or weight in the sales info - might be in the q&a somewhere. Big enough for a grey but not big enough for an Amazon because of bar spacing was a comment I happened upon in the reviews. How big is Nike?

spiritbird
01-11-2016, 11:37 PM
I once had an off brand carrier like this and it was just too heavy for me to lift. I suggest you do come comparing with this one and Kings carriers. Of course Kings is more expensive but they are aluminum making them more portable.

Casper's 2nd best friend
01-12-2016, 10:27 AM
If anyone does buy a cage like Casper's be warned that the food doors with the sliding catches tend to rattle open providing a handy escape route. We use bits of sticky tape to keep them shut otherwise Casper gets into mischief. :th_smile:

bill-e
01-13-2016, 04:50 AM
If anyone does buy a cage like Casper's be warned that the food doors with the sliding catches tend to rattle open providing a handy escape route. We use bits of sticky tape to keep them shut otherwise Casper gets into mischief. :th_smile:
Interestingly enough, the large Kings aluminum cage weighs 30 lbs, this is 29. The smaller cage weighs 8 lbs and while on Amazon is no longer in the King's lineup. I have time and I also have a second cage which might be the best fit...I'll wait a bit before I ourchase anything.