PDA

View Full Version : Target Training...Not Just For Parrots Here

kendrafitz
01-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Rosie and I do target training from time to time. It is something she seems to enjoy and I reward her with cashew pieces and lots of praise and kisses. I make the clicker noises myself since it is just easier for me.

We haven't done it in a while so I decided yesterday would be a good day to start again. I got the cashews and set Rosie up on her recliner and I sat on the floor in front of her. I made the clicker noise and we started. Apparently the dogs remembered what the clicker noise meant. All of a sudden, I hear thumps upstairs and running feet down the stairs. Bailey and Teddy poke their head into the room just as I am giving Rosie her first cashew piece. They wanted a treat too. They crack me up. Rosie obviously finds it funny as well b/c she will direct her cashew crumbs down in their direction. So Rosie does a trick, get a cashew and kisses. Bailey and Teddy just have to stay sitting where they are and they get cashews. Silly dogs. What really makes me laugh is they will ignore the cashew pieces she drops from her food dish. They just don't want to miss out on the special treat Rosie is getting. Goofballs.

spiritbird
01-10-2016, 11:50 PM
I was not aware dogs like nuts. Or is it dogs are nuts!

kendrafitz
01-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Lol! Both. I had no idea dogs liked nuts until we got Rosie. Mine do, but I know some nuts are not good for them. Pistachios are their favorite, I have found pistachio shells in my bed from the dogs. :)

bill-e
01-11-2016, 08:36 PM
My English setter used to steal the peanuts, shell them and eat the nuts....kinda messy

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

Macaw Lover
01-11-2016, 08:45 PM
It is the macadamia nuts that can be deadly to dogs.

I thought all dogs were food vacuum picker uppers and did not discriminate with too many food things, at least my little terrier and Afghan were like that

kendrafitz
01-11-2016, 09:10 PM
My guys are fairly choosy with Rosie's dropped food. But that is probably because there is a constant surplus. No matter how often I clean there is always something. In fact my crazy girl is usually dropping food on the ground as I vaccuum. ;)

Lady
01-13-2016, 07:36 PM
I used to work for PetSmart as a dog trainer, we always use the clicker and a reward for them but I don't recall anyone ever using nuts.