PDA

View Full Version : Perches - thick or thin?

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Looking at pictures of Amazon parrots in the wild they all seem to choose the skinniest branch they can find to roost on. This seems to go against our philosophy of providing them with comfy large-diameter perches in their cages. Are we doing it wrong?

spiritbird
12-21-2015, 10:29 PM
My vet had a measuring tool for a birds foot. She would take the measurement and then tell you what the right circumference of the perches should be. I have read we should have a variety of perches size wise.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-21-2015, 11:02 PM
My vet had a measuring tool for a birds foot...

Haha, got to get it past the beak first! :th_biggrin:

I take your point about offering a variety, Casper had a bit of bumblefoot when we took him in so the vet said large is good.
Do you think they feel more secure with their feet closed right around a twig, especially with the tree blowing about in the big wide world?

Lady
12-22-2015, 04:14 AM
I believe in variety of perch sizes too. Maybe having such a tight grip on a branch that is blowing around in the wind is a good way to know you got a firm hold onto it. Now whether or not it holds their weight....guess that's when their wings come in handy :pinkgrin:.

Mare
12-22-2015, 06:33 AM
I'm going to give you my knowledge on what I know..having a free flying bird and his choices of perches. Amigo will cling on to ANYTHING with his talons but prefers a comfy, padded, wider perch to sleep on at night. When he's hanging out in his cage during the day, the size perches that fit his normal feet size (large), is where he dwells most comfortably :)

spiritbird
12-22-2015, 02:58 PM
My birdies love the platform perches. I am guessing they give the grip of their feet a well needed rest.