PDA

View Full Version : Entering Dangerous Airspace

Grasharm
12-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Okay I have joined this forum not for my bird but because I am going to be pet sitting a 5 or 6 year old Bare-eyed Cockatoo named Puffy for a week starting this friday. While I have met puffy in the past it hasn't gone over well with puffy trying to take bits and pieces out of me. I'd like to do the best job possible and my friends are providing care and handling instructions in written format but I operate on more information is better principle and would ask the community for tips, tricks, and helpful hints as to how to make this the best possible week for me and puffy given our rocky relationship. Also would it be okay to introduce Puffy to my singapara cat. I'm a little worried since puff is so agressive to me and he is a bit bigger than Rocky. My friends have indicated they'd like for me to stay over and provide a more constant source of companionship for their pet and I need to decide if I'm going bring rocky over and stay there. Split time between the two places and animals or just stop in to take care of Puffy as needed.

Thank your for taking the time to read and the speedy responses in advance.

PlaxMacaws
12-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Hello Grasharm... welcome to our site. The first thing I will recommend is that you absolutely do not allow your cat, Rocky, and Puffy any physical access to one another. Cats naturally carry Pasteurella bacteria on their claws, as well as on their skin, and certainly within their oral cavities. And it can exist on their fir in abundance from the grooming they do with their tongues. Pasteurella bacteria is extremely dangerous for birds and can result in agonizing death within a very short period of time once contracted. All it takes is one swipe of a cat's claw upon a bird that breaches the bird's skin, or just one bite. It's nothing to gamble upon, which is why I would strongly recommend against any kind of physical interaction, or even against any near contact, between Puffy and Rocky. It's always best to be safe. And beyond that, since Puffy is on the aggressive side -based upon your description- if he decided to go after Rocky, I think a reasonable assumption is that Rocky may try and defend himself. Needless to say, such a situation could end in catastrophe (e.g., a fatally infected or otherwise injured Cockatoo).

I'll leave the behavior questions concerning Puffy and yourself to other members. Perhaps some of our Cockatoo owners will chime in.

Best of luck!

Here's a link on Pasteurella in cats: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
12-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Do you know if Puffy has a gender preference? This may be why he wants bits and pieces of you.

Lady
12-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Hi Grashram,
First and foremost I must agree with Plax about your cat. It is always much better to be safe, for both of them.

I would suggest you get the written information soon so you can become informed on what is expected for Puffy's care.
You may want to have the owners give you and extra perch to use if you should need to get Puffy to step up or down onto it rather than on your hand/arm or finger since Puffy has tried to take bits and pieces of you. I know my bird doesn't appreciate anyone pointing a finger in her face.
It takes some time for a bird to get familiar with their surroundings so Puffy will more than likely be somewhat uncomfortable if she/he is somewhere new. It is good NOT to make quick sudden movements around a bird especially one that you do not own.
There are many household items that can not be used around birds as well, like air sprays and scented candles to name a few.
I'm sure there are many threads on this site that will give you lots of ideas of do's and don'ts some of us have experienced.

kendrafitz
12-16-2015, 12:17 PM
You are a great friend to watch Puffy. Especially since he is agressive with you.

Is Puffy affectionate with his owners? If so, after a few days he may decide he likes you. After all you will be his source of food and entertainment. :)

It is probably best to stay at their home if you are able.

I agree introducing Rocky and Puffy isn't a good idea. It's dangerous for both animals. As Plax mentioned it could be deadly for Puffy. But if Puffy goes after Rocky while defending himself it could also go badly for Rocky. Not saying that it absolutely will happen, but I tend to try to err on the side of caution. Maybe if you bring Rocky, just keep them in separate rooms/areas?

spiritbird
12-16-2015, 01:26 PM
I don't thing you would feel good if your cat injured the bird. I have a laid back cat and she goes into another room with door closed if my birds are out of the cage. Its in a cats genes to prey on birds, no matter what their size is. I would love to see a photo of your cat and the breed you have is one of my favorites.

Grasharm
12-23-2015, 02:54 AM
Okay, 4 days in and I thought we me and puffy had gotten okay with each other but things hit the fan a bit. Nothing dire but puffy is just making a fuss and I can't figure out why. I thought he wanted me in the room so I grabbed my tablet and took a seat but he is clamoring. I tried refreshing his water and food. I tried getting closer and that seemed to help at first but then he made a few tries to bite me through the cage. I'm not sure if they are mock tries or not. Just a little confused. He seems to have calmed down. Maybe he's just grumpy because it's almost bedtime. Anyway it's a little confusing so I'm erring on the side of not getting bitten. If anyone can help me decode this confusing behavior let me know. I speak cat not bird. Putting his back to me would seem to be a sign of he's okay with me and his fur I mean crest ins't raising when I get near. If fact it was down for this entire process until I left to get the door and came back. Now it's up and staying that way.

As for pictures of rocky sorry nothing digital. I took one too many high school photography courses and do my own developing so I can play around with that side of photography. Yeah I'm weird. I like having fun with exposures and superimposing and stuff like that.

#Edit: ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) A theory from my friends has be put forward that sounds okay but I figure I'll add it to see if it flies. It is that Puffy is a little confused right now about how he feels about me. On one hand I'm the food giver and and local entertainment recently on the other hand at 6'2" I tower over the couple he is used to as the tallest clocks in at 5'10" and always smell of a predator from playing with rocky. Don't worry Rocky isn't with puffy. Turns out puffy gets 12 hour sleep sessions. So I put Puffy to bed on schedule and go home. Play with Rocky get ready for work. Work my night shift. Come home. Play a little more with Rocky and grab breakfast. Head over wake puffy and refresh his food and water then crash on the couch in his room so he has at least sleeping company. Wake refresh food and water and hang out with Puffy till bedtime again and back to rocky. Glad I don't have to keep it up for more than a week especially since Rocky has taken to dragging my bed linens around the room which I think of as his way of saying where have you been sleeping and why aren't I involved. (and yes I am a giant man with a tiny cat)

Mare
12-23-2015, 03:45 AM
Hello, Grasharm! :). I have a significant other by the name of Sassy, she is a Goffins cockatoo and very similar to what you are dealing with. Mostly..take their attitude in stride. It might just be who the bird is. Secondly, pay attention. I've found with my cockatoos that learning how to read them.. is key.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Yep, you have to wait until they are ready to come to you. I think that the "having a go" through the bars is just a game. Casper does that to us even though he spends nearly all day perched on one or the other of us.
When we think Casper is happy to interact with a visitor or friend we get the person to stand shoulder to shoulder with us so that he can step across if he chooses.
If you give Puffy any out of the cage time, try standing next to the cage facing away when he is on top of it - he may choose to step across.
Casper is really picky about who he likes, some people he flies to and lands on their back or shoulder, others he just wants to attack. Especially those who are nervous about him biting them before they even meet him. There you go - feign indifference and the bird will demand that you be his friend. Perhaps. :th_smile: