PDA

View Full Version : Almost ate a button

Pinkbirdy
05-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Im so trusting of Harlow.I let her climb allover me and dont pay attention.This morning she was mouthing a button on my pajama pants.I pushed her away [she doesnt normally do this] .In lightning speed ,she broke half off in her mouth. The first thing I thought of was [I think something happend like this to Plax s Zaf] I didnt care if I lost a finger [I got it out] I dont think the close vets to me could handle it [scary].Luckily it was only one piece. Im lucky Harlows alot like Tabs Fargo [very gentle].The moral of my story is ,dont underestimate your bird and I need a better emergancy vet plan.[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Birdboy
05-10-2013, 04:44 AM
How cute, I'm glad she's okay

plax
05-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah Terri, I have to pay close attention to my guys all the time when I'm holding them, especially Zaf. And when they're on me I always make sure that I'm not wearing a shirt that has metal fasteners. Zaf will also go for metal zippers like the ones on certain couch cushions, so I have to be extra careful not to let him around anything like that. I'm glad you were able to get the piece from Harlow! A vet plan for during the week and one for weekends, as well as emergency numbers loaded in your phone are very good things to set up.

keepsmiling
05-10-2013, 07:41 AM
I am glad she did not swallow it. Though generally birds do not swallow foreign objects. They do love to keep things hidden in their beak, and scare us half to death though...:th_hug8:

roxynoodle
05-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I think breaking buttons is a typical game for macaws. KBEquine's GW does it and then yells, "Button Monster!"

My birds will all go for zippers so I can't wear things like zip up hoodies when I'm interacting with them. I know they aren't SS zippers.

Blancaej
05-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Terri - I am so glad Harlow is ok and you got the button out of his mouth! Coming up with an emergency plan is an excellent idea! Thanks for bringing that point up!

jtbirds
05-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Terri my dads greenwing does this all the time and finds it to be a toy, although we defiantly do not allow him to play with them. I do know of people that hang buttons on toys not sure I'd do it or suggest it but it is heard of... Glad Harlow didn't swallow it I think they like playing the hide and seek through my beak game;).

Narkissios
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
This is a scarey thread but i do have a way of making midnight regurge for me almost on command.

I scratch the back of the couch while she is on it and then tap, do this a couple of times and voila midnight will regurge for me, everytime.

Honesty
05-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I am glad Harlow is ok Terri:)

They all seem to have a thing for buttons:( Codie has pulled every metal button off my Handbag. He pulls them and pings them across the floor:(

Turquoise
05-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Harlow~~You stinker!! Your Mom is going to have heart failure if you do that again.

Yep, buttons & zippers are so inviting to my kids too. Roscoe will grab & break one in a flash, but he drops the pieces because he is greedy & wants to break more. His thing is the fun in the game of: "Lets see if I can grab, twist, break & go for the next one before Mom can stop me!" He thinks Mom is old & slow, but he never makes it to the 2nd one.

plax
05-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I actually have a large pile of button-up shirts that each have missing buttons and/or a few button fragments left on them ;). One of these days maybe I'll go buy some replacement buttons for them.

Pinkbirdy
05-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Honesty- Im smirking ,thinking about Codie sneaking up and getting buttons off your purse [He He] .Everyone I bet Buttons would be a interesting toy for them [Mine would have to be metal and the size of hockey pucks though LOL) :) Plax ,you got me thinking [your missing buttons] and I just realized I dont eat chocolate anymore .Someone always finds me when Im eating [and insists I share] so Ive learned to eat vanilla things :) What our birds have changed in us :)

jtbirds
05-11-2013, 11:24 PM
O my birds are bad if I am eating while they are on me.... Like if I am eating ice cream and it has chocolate they all try to go after thrice cream, I'm happy to share as long as it is safe but hey always catch me with unsafe things and then get grumpy when I don't share lol! Now I've learnt to eat safe Items when they are on me...

And wow pickles has so much energy right now he is literally sprinting across the table in laps like a runner0.0.