PDA

View Full Version : I Adopted a scarlet.

Goofybird5
10-27-2015, 03:51 PM
I have had a B&G since it was a baby! I recently adopted a 16 yr old scarlet. She hates women but took to my husband immediately. Any suggestions on learning to earn her trust. I have gotten bite multiple times in the past month. Any suggestions on this and how to introduce the two birds and handling it.

Casper's 2nd best friend
10-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Patience, with Casper it took over a year, one day Margaret was giving him a really nice neck tickle, so good that Casper had his eyes shut, so I started tickling as well, and Margaret stopped while I carried on. When Casper opened his eyes and realised it was me making him feel good his attitude towards me became more accepting, I still got bitten, just to show I wasn't completely trusted but the bites were less likely to bleed. I have now been promoted to chief new feather freer.

Goofybird5
10-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Thank you Casper !! Oh no I am never allowed to touch her anywhere. She will step up when my husband is at work but only to walk her out to the play area. And that is hit and miss. How close should I allow the two to get to each other? And whats the best way to break up a squabble if they have one?

wingman
10-28-2015, 01:21 AM
When she steps up offer a sunflower seed or some treat! I did this with Rio my lovebird and she associated a treat with getting closer to me then she eventually began to fly onto my shoulder and give birdie kisses or she will nibble my ear with her beak! She stuck her entire beak into my ear one time and I could hear her breathing. The main thing is not to show fear or pain when they bite! It shows the bird that your not intimidated by them and they lose interest in biting you, also I say no Rio in a firm voice and they seem to learn that they aren't supposed to do that. I'm not the expert on this but just sharing what kinda worked for Rio and me!!! Good luck let us know what works! Just go slow and take time it will happen before ya know it��

Macaw Lover
10-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Sing. Sing quiet type love songs, songs with a slow tempo type thing. Donovan had, still has, a history of biting and when I was driving home with him, I started singing songs to him after we pulled out of the drive way. I think the first one I sang I'm Gonna Love You or at least my version of it LOL. When he started sitting on me and would put his head on my shoulder, guess what song I would sing to him, yep Put Your Head On My Shoulder.

So many people believe you should hold it in when you get bit. I don't go for that theory. When Jody gives me too hard of a bite she will say O[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] hurt and she knows she bit too hard. Kalea will sort of shrink back, knowing she hurt me. Donovan is not as sensitive about it all but he does know the word gentle. You think if a bird has a mate and bites too hard, they are quiet about it? Heck no, there is a scream and some hitting back with a beak, why should we let them get away with hurting us? If you stay quiet you are teaching them it is ok to bite because you are just standing there bleeding and in pain. They are smart and do understand.

Lady
10-29-2015, 02:19 AM
I do believe when they bite it is because they are sometimes fearful of what we did even if it was just to get them to step up. Sometimes its hands that scare them or just the tone of voice. Every bird is unique and we are not experts in doing the same thing the same way every time so they are not always so sure of what is about to happen. I believe that is why they watch us so very closely and we have to watch them too and learn what their body language is telling us.
It is important to have a routine with them for some time, then you can change it ever so slightly to see if they are comfortable with the change.
I think Charlie (wingman) is on the right path. A treat is always great. Who takes care of her, gives her fresh water and her food? Can you give her a small portion of her food, then more later on so she will begin to see that good things come from you. How long have you had her, do you know some of the things she really likes to do or what her favorite toy is? Does she have a favorite veggie or fruit? These are not questions I expect you to answer, just food for thought b/c you can use those things to your advantage by being the one she gets those things from.
When a bird prefers one human over another it is a challenge but I believe with patience and a lot of time you can learn how not to get bitten although you may never be as close as your husband is with her.
Has the Scarlet already been through the quarantine time so it is safe to introduce them. I wouldn't have them out of the cage for their initial meeting.
I'm sure others who are more experienced than myself will have more to say.

Goofybird5
11-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I have had the scarlet for approx 2 months. She was given to me by someone that never handled her much ir allowed her out of her cage. I want to be able to play with her and treat her as part of the family as I do my B&G. I open her cage door in the morning and she will climb out and sit on her door. I have a play area on my screen porch outside. This is where I spend most of my time. She will communicate with the B&G but it normally takes me 2 hrs to get her to step up to come play with us. I have been offering her treats to get her to step up (each day we try a multitude of things before she takes one) I know its going to take time with her and she has shown signs of improvement. When I ask for a kiss she will tap her beak on my lips.😋 We have come a long way in a short time. Now we need lots of help and suggestions on the screaming!! Why the do it and how to stop it! I guess I was extremely lucky with the B&G and her behavior! But she was also a baby when I got her! Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

Mare
11-04-2015, 03:21 AM
Hi, Kelly! I'm not at all familiar with macaws, except from what I know of them through our macaw folks here, but my cockatoos scream for a reason. It took quite a while to figure those reasons out but eventually we did. Wanting attention was high on the list, seeing something/someone outside their window who isn't normally there,,, many times..they will get each other going and I think are just having fun with it!.. I feel for the poor cockatiels when this happens! They will scream right before I close them down at night, I think this might just be a natural thing for them.

Amigo, who flys free during the day, has taught me a whole lot. He has warning screams..there might be a hawk, snake, or strange car entering his territory. If someone he doesn't know is in the yard, he will yell at them, he thinks they shouldn't be there. Amigo has many different loud sounds come from him, I wouldn't call all them "screams", though. They are ALL loud but mean different things. I think/hope with time, you will be able to figure your Scarlet out and when you do..things will mellow out, after all..she's just getting to know you, too! :)

94lt1
11-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Scarlets are usually pretty easy going..but a bird is its own person. Our green wing loved men..but then decided he like my wife's pretty red feathers more(red head) .. Well soon he wasn't as friendly towards me..its commonly called an avian love triangle..

But your case seems to just be a case of preference..the good news is that by being around the bird he will acclimate.. But you will have to spend time with him. And there could be bites and love nips along the way..

Watch his eyes..and respect his "decisions" for now and you will grow closer when a trust is formed..it takes time..that's how I do it anyway.. Good luck with your new family member..

The screaming..aka the macaw blast..some birds do it more than others..is the bird engaged?? Like toys or foraging toys..some birds do it in the morning.. Others in the evening.. Some when they're happy..the one thing I know is that if you teach em to talk more..they'll usually run through their vocabulary more than screaming..I got Monte at 25 years, and he still learns..with my dad around the house..sometimes its things I don't want him learning..but he learns..

Plug your ears though..that scream is like a shotgun blast..

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-04-2015, 05:30 PM
I think parrots are more intelligent than humans, they know what we want, they understand what we are saying and they can reply in our language. We sometimes know what they want and that is about it.

Merrick
11-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I think parrots are more intelligent than humans, they know what we want, they understand what we are saying and they can reply in our language. We sometimes know what they want and that is about it.
I dont think parrots are more intelligent they just read people better you would to if a parrot care for you since your birth

94lt1
11-18-2015, 05:15 PM
I think there are exceptionally smart birds..but there are the opposite ..just like people...but I think all birds have a great skill and that is they can read us. A bird usually knows if you approach with bad intentions.. Or if you're scared or unsure..and then they test you..lol