PDA

View Full Version : Hi from New York, AL & Salty

Albert
10-18-2015, 04:46 AM
Salty is our yellow shoulder amazon, who is all of 3.5 months old. He is still learnin' to use beak, feet, wings and voice. He is such a bold one, he has our cairne terrier cowed already, but he is really a sweet (relatively) little guy. Still on formula 2x a day, he is learning to crack the secrets of opening seeds and nuts.

kendrafitz
10-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Hi Al & Salty, welcome to the forum!! Congrats on your new addition. :)

Babies are just heart melting. It's so much fun to see them learn everything, isn't it?

Would love to see pics when you have time.

Merrick
10-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the forum Al and Salty!!

spiritbird
10-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Hello there and welcome to PP. Salty sounds like a wonderful bird. Please upload some photos of him when you can.

PeachyDoll
10-18-2015, 01:51 PM
:th_welcome2: To you and Salty. I hope you can post pics of your baby soon :)

wingman
10-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Welcome glad you are here Al and Salty!!!

Casper's 2nd best friend
10-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi there. It amazes me that parrots know instinctively how to deal with pea pods and such like which I doubt they find in the Amazon. Its also interesting that they are ready programmed on dealing with nuts and seeds without any training from their parents. Humans may have bigger brains but on a weight for weight basis I think parrots win.

Mare
10-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Welcome, Al & Salty! We all look forward to reading about Salty's growing up adventures! :)

Lady
10-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Hello Al and Salty :pp_welcome: How wonderful that you get to be a part of Salty's life starting at such a young age! How did you decide on a name for him? I also look forward to reading about your experiences together.

Albert
10-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Hi All,

Salty got his name because I perform with a pirate music band, called The Brigands. Not that I anticipate bringing him out to some of the festivals we play at, but I thought it was a great name for a pirates parrot! This weekend, he learned that getting a skritch on his neck and head is something to be enjoyed. He spent almost a full hour getting that skritching. He is sooo young, we have to show him most things. Oh and he had his first seeds ( 2 sunflower seeds), because he is on formula and starting to eat pellets. The seeds I will save for treats.

He is being treated for a minor nasal infection that developed 2 days after we brought him home. My avian vet has him on an antibiotic and nose drops ,and he goes back on Wen 10/ 21 for his follow up. SO we dont feel that introducing him to a lot of different foods is wise just now. We do know he loves mushed up bananas, but the vet says hold off on anything new, for now.

He also said his first word this weekend, the expected 'Hello' very quietly, in a baby voice... so cute. 3311

This is not an actual pic of him, but a mature Yellow SHouldered Amazon. They are like a cross between a Blue Front and a Double Yellow head, but are a distinct species. Native ones are on a no import list, but can be sold interstate, if they are domestically bred. Pretty rare. One of the smallest true amazons.

PeachyDoll
10-19-2015, 03:25 PM
What a cuite pie!!

PlaxMacaws
10-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Hello, Al... a big welcome to you and Salty! Thanks for joining our community of parrot appreciators :D

94lt1
10-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Yellow shoulders look a lot like a yellow headed...save for the tips of the wings LOL..hello and welcome..

jessicas94lt1
10-21-2015, 01:53 AM
Welcome hope you enjoy all the wonderful people and helpful information.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Zoo mom
10-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Welcome. Salty is gorgeous.

tropics1989
10-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Welcome!

Albert
11-26-2015, 03:59 AM
Salty is learning his first trick - to lay on his back in my palm. he is not crazy about doing this ( he's no conure!) but will sell his soul for a piece of pine nut. He is so quiet compared to our now gone Max ( BB Parrot). A squack or 3 in the AM or when I get home, or when Geri ( wife) is getting dinner ready and thats about it for LOUD noises. He does the usual Amazon talking to himself, or baby quacks when I prep his PM feeding ( he is down to 1x a day for formula). I feel for the folks who have loudies - no matter how cute that can get on your nerves. When we considered getting a new parrot, I read about yellow shoulders and how they are one of the quietest parrots, and so far that trait is holding true. He is alos not crazy about showers or misting, but likes the hair dryer after, trying to bite the air ( silly bird). He really likes rough housing with me - full body two handed scrunching and cupping his head in my hand with more scrunching. I've never had a parrot that liked to play this rough, but Salty eats it up.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Salty sounds like a wonderful character. Casper isn't too keen on showers or baths either but sometimes, when he is in, he then decides he doesn't want to come out. And he always waits until we get as far as the bedroom on the way back to his cage before having a good shake.

spiritbird
11-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Please only feed sunflower seeds sparingly because they are high in fat - they are like American French fried to a bird! There are many other options for treats like a small piece of almond or other healthy nuts. thanks .................

Albert
11-28-2015, 04:54 AM
Salty got his first real, l o n g schritchifng today, its was a really good day with him. He was like a soft mushy bag of feathers, eyes closed, head nuzzled into my neck. The days should all be like this.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Wonderful, I love the word schritchifng :loveit:

Lady
11-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I want to see some more pics of Salty!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful relationship!

Albert
11-30-2015, 05:38 AM
So a pic of Salty and one of me, in work clothes.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Such a handsome chap. Salty that is. :pinkgrin:

Albert
11-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Here is a pic of Salty doing his first learned trick - lying in my flattened out hand. Oh how he hated learning this, but pine nuts as a treat win every time ! And a pic of him getting into trubble.

kendrafitz
12-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Awesome pics!! He is cute even when he is being mischievous.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Always has a smile on his face. He is obviously very happy with you.