PDA

View Full Version : Rosie is reaching out

PeachyDoll
10-10-2015, 03:24 AM
In the last 2 weeks Rosie has been reaching out for me more and more even when she is with her person (hubby). She has been hopping off his shoulders and making a run for me or leaning off his arm and putting her beak on the bed and making a beeline for me. I also noticed when she has been walking on the floor and she gets near my feet she doesn't open her beak in chomping mode anymore. After 2 painful bites from that powerful beak I altered my approach as she was hormonal. She laid 1 egg a few months after we got her (a year and a half ago) and it's been over a year now and she hasn't laid another. I really do believe we have a 2 person bird. I guess I just have to be brave and she what she does when she gets close enough. I should just see what she does on the floor, I'd rather lose a toe than a finger. :th_eek:

Lady
10-10-2015, 03:33 AM
:th_yah::th_yah::danceelmo::dance55::super-happy-dance-s:happy-feet::happy-feet::happy-feet:

Oh I'm soooooo HAPPY for you!!!!

This is wonderful!!! Please tell your Rosie that we want you to keep both your toes and fingers and to keep being a good girl!!

Casper's 2nd best friend
10-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Fickle, they are all fickle in the end if you're nice to them. :th_smile:

Mare
10-10-2015, 02:46 PM
This is GREAT NEWS!! WHOOHOO! :). It sounds like a good start on the road to happiness. Does Rosie let you hold or pet her?..I don't recall..

Those cockatoo bites on the feet are brutal! When Sassy is on the floor and sees a foot you'd better beware..she tries to kill it! A few years back, Tim was sitting on the deck in a sky chair, talking on the phone. I didn't see this happen but I sure heard the scream..Amigo had flown down to the deck, behind Tim, and sneakily walked up to him and chomped him on his Achilles' tendon! OMG! Poor Tim was traumatized and limped for weeks. He still brings that one up in his "Damn Bird" stories :)

kendrafitz
10-10-2015, 03:56 PM
YAYYYY!!! So happy to read this! Your patience has paid off. You may end up being her favorite yet! :ygg:

PeachyDoll
10-11-2015, 01:43 PM
I have held Rosie Mare, but it has been a while since she's been on my arm. I transport her on a rolling stand or wooden t-bar. She allows me to groom her everyday when she feels like it of course, which is often. In the past few weeks she's allowed me to gently scratch her upper beak although she does want to reciprocate and groom my fingers I am still too chicken. Also after her grooming session I kiss her crest while I have the feathers pulled forward and Rosie always goes "Oooooohhhh"

It's difficult because it seems anything can trigger her hormones, last night she was on hubby arm and she started her vibrating/shaking and he only pets/grooms her head. When she does this we have to redirect her attention.

Well it's breakfast time here, Rosie is hollering at me for her banana, cinnamon oatmeal.

kendrafitz
10-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a great start to me! Just go at the pace you are comfortable with and things will be great. I am so very excited for you both!!