PDA

View Full Version : Role of Feather in Amazon Health

King Parrot
10-08-2015, 06:25 AM
According to a Bird keeper's view the health of Amazon parrot depend upon its feathers. If its feathers are shiny and too much hairy it will be stay healthy, Can anyone tell me what is right in this theory. Is it a right concept about Amazon health or its just a rumor.

Casper's 2nd best friend
10-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Shiny feathers do not necessarily mean that the parrot is healthy but can be indicative that it is being well cared for. However, if purchasing a parrot from an unscrupulous person, beware that they may have used coconut butter or something similar to make its feathers shiny.

Mare
10-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Personally, I think feather health tells the overall health of a bird. When I adopted the Sassy goffins girl, she was a plucker of her chest area. It took around two years for her to come into a healthy feather and she is the most beautiful goffins I've ever seen at this point!! :). I may be partial, though..and I may want to knock on wood..

Casper's 2nd best friend
10-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Usually Mare that is correct but recently Casper had a virus and was very poorly even though his plumage looked fine throughout the illness.
When I look back at photos of how he was before he came to us I realise what poor condition he was in then, although at the time I thought he didn't look too bad. Of course, then I knew nothing at all about birds and it is only by comparison with how he looks now that I am able to make a better appraisal.

Mare
10-09-2015, 03:38 PM
He certainly is beautiful now, Jean-Pierre! Our old photos do say a lot when comparing, they are good to have :)