PDA

View Full Version : Natural tree limb perches/toys

Merrick
10-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Just baked some Ficus limbs. Going to be finished when i get some wing nuts and other hardware from the store :th_biggrin:

spiritbird
10-06-2015, 02:26 AM
Very nice. Saves money too. Make sure and get stainless hardware. I am so non handy.

Merrick
10-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Very nice. Saves money too. Make sure and get stainless hardware. I am so non handy.

I will be sure to get stainless steel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mare
10-09-2015, 03:53 AM
Good for you! They are beautiful! I'm so stoked to see someone else making natural perches! I've no idea what a ficus is but I've been making oak and manzanita perches for a while now. My birds love them and I've sold them to other bird people over the years. Good job!

spiritbird
10-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Mare I thought Oak was on the no no list for wood to have around parrots. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
10-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Wow, that is an in depth list, Dianne! All I know is Amigo's tree didn't get this way from a lightning strike and he's STILL chewing away :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Oak definitely hasn't bothered my cockatoos. I've been using oak since before I knew there was a list :). I'm not saying oak is good for every bird but mine are doing ok with it.

Lady
10-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Love it when I get a link to read and bookmark :goodjob::thank you:Dianne!

Merrick
10-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Wow, that is an in depth list, Dianne! All I know is Amigo's tree didn't get this way from a lightning strike and he's STILL chewing away :)

Oak definitely hasn't bothered my cockatoos. I've been using oak since before I knew there was a list :). I'm not saying oak is good for every bird but mine are doing ok with it.

Some oaks are better then others

Merrick
10-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Good for you! They are beautiful! I'm so stoked to see someone else making natural perches! I've no idea what a ficus is but I've been making oak and manzanita perches for a while now. My birds love them and I've sold them to other bird people over the years. Good job!
Fiscus is like a fig. A well known species of fiscus is the Banyan tree they are really common in south Florida. The banyan tree are the trees were some roots grow off of the branches it is really cool to see a big one because it is like a miny tree fort

Mare
10-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Wow! Beautiful tree :). Is the wood hard and dense or is it on the softer side?

Merrick
10-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Wow! Beautiful tree :). Is the wood hard and dense or is it on the softer side?

Depends on the part of the tree mostly pretty flexible and soft but the branches can be stiff and hard , brittle, or flexible like the trunk

Merrick
10-10-2015, 10:19 PM
The only one I finished that was any good

Macaw Lover
10-11-2015, 02:53 AM
For anyone not too handy (still need a drill and screwdriver) EH makes a perch holder that has a bracket the perch would lay on and you drill holes for 2 screws. That bracket then attaches to the side of the cage with a flat piece of stainless steel and nut and wing nut I think it was. This is easier than using one of those squares like shown in the picture whose threads go one way into the wood and the other way where you put your nut on.

Lady
08-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Oh I've just been cleaning up after my hubby had to trim our Crepe Myrtle. I have some branches that look like they will be good to add to Lady's cage. Maybe some for perching and some for just chewing on. It is to hot to bake them this week but I have them drying in the sun till I can. Just have to get the ss hardware.

Blancaej
08-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Sounds great! You will have to share pics when all done. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk