PDA

View Full Version : New here. Need advice.

Ami
09-10-2015, 01:09 AM
I am looking for advice on selling my macaw parrots. I bought them both as babies and I do not want them to be passed off from one inexperienced bird owner to the next. Right now they are both very well behaved; but we all know that too much stress can change that. I have seen parrots passed back and forth every 5 or 10 years their entire life, and I do not want that to be their fate.

I do not know where to start. I do not want to try Craigslist because too many people think it would be “neat” to own a bird. I am looking for an experienced bird owner who won’t discover that 5 years down the line they don’t have time for birds anymore.

Please give me some advice on where I should start looking, posting, and how I should approach this. Distance is not an issue. I will drive wherever is necessary to assure a safe, loving home for them.

PlaxMacaws
09-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Hello Ami. I'm sorry to hear that you have a need to re-home your macaws. I've never been in the position of being forced to sell a beloved pet, much less trying to simultaneously ensure that the buyer of said pet would provide a reliable, trustworthy and permanent home for him or her. I know it can be difficult to simply find someone who is both trusted enough and willing to take possession of a cherished pet bird in the event of the owner's death or functional incapacitation. There are so very many discarded birds in this world who need new, loving and permanent homes. But there are too few homes available which meet that criteria.

One thought is that you might contact and become familiar with the personnel from a local bird club in your area. The more people you know who are interested in companion birds, the greater your chances should be for placing your own birds in reliable homes.

Also, please feel free to post information (perhaps including photos) about your macaws within our Adoptions & Re-homing section, here: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Perhaps some of our other members may have additional advice for you. The very best of luck to you and your macaws concerning your quest!

Casper's 2nd best friend
09-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am unable to offer any advice because a) I am in England, and b) I have no experience of rehoming birds apart from us taking on Casper with absolutely no knowledge or experience.
I trust you are going only pass them on as a pair so that they will have each other for company in their new home. Hopefully to someone who has had, or still has parrots so they know what they letting themselves in for. Or to someone nearby to you whom you can mentor into becoming responsible guardians.

spiritbird
09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
I have re homed birds before and both times it went well. I re homed them through bird forums to bird people. Suggest you ask for references, especially from vets. Also you should do an on site visit to the home where they will be going.

wingman
09-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Hi Ami Welcome to the forum! I wish I could take them but already have a flock...

spiritbird
09-11-2015, 12:40 PM
So Ami how are things going with you? Would love to see some photos.

Lady
09-12-2015, 02:01 AM
Hi Ami,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have to give up your birds, maybe your avian vet could help? A sanctuary in your state? I haven't any experience with rehoming they're just some ideas.

spiritbird
09-12-2015, 03:20 AM
Hope you continue to post here.

Casper's 2nd best friend
09-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes, let us know how you get on please, it could be helpful to others.

94lt1
09-13-2015, 07:34 PM
I'm late but hello and welcome...I think starting with a local bird club is a great idea..down here that's risky too because of bird hoarders ..but its always got some form of risk.

I don't believe you said where you where or what kind of macaws you have??