PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed!

mistywaterwoman
05-08-2013, 10:43 PM
I was wondering if any of you had experience with this type of "double stack flight cage"...

It's similar to the single cage I have now, so I don't need to know about durability or dimensions, or that type of thing. My real question is this:

Do the birds in the bottom level have any psychological issues from being "down low", when it's their nature to feel safer up high?

I have two level chinchilla cages, and for the pairs of chins that can go from one level to the other, it's fine... but for the pair that live seperate (one up, one down) I find the girl on the bottom is much more skittish and less trusting. It's also in their nature to get as high as possible to feel safe. I've given her many options for hiding and cover, and it seems to help. But she is still more trusting of me during her out of the cage playtime than she is in the cage.
I tried to move her to a seperate cage, higher up, but she kept trying to get back into her old cage. So I am assuming it's just that it's familiar and more comfortable for her at this point, since she's been in it for over a year...

I want a companion bird next, but I am short on room. Unless I wait for one of my older pets to die of natural causes, the only way to get another bird right now would be to get a double stacked cage. BUT I don't want to traumatize any of them just for my own convenience either.

Opinions?

roxynoodle
05-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Definitely some birds do better in the bottom cage than others. Merlin has one all to herself and prefers the bottom! One thing you could do to help is make sure you have a full spectrum light clipped to the bottom cage so it's not dark and cave like down there.

mistywaterwoman
05-09-2013, 12:27 AM
I was thinking it might be ok especially if I had a bird tree and the cage door was able to stay open for a large portion of the day. (I'm a stay at home mom.)
The light is a great idea as well, thanks, Audrey!

jtbirds
05-09-2013, 01:18 AM
I have a triple stack flight like that and I don't really think any of my birds mind any part of it, they all get out everyday so it isn't a huge issue for the, to be in there just to sleeps nd play a little. I think it is a go and I really like mine although mine is a old California in amazing shape the triple stack is just great!

mistywaterwoman
05-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Justin!

Honesty
05-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I think they will be absoloutely fine in that Kara:)

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Do the birds in the lower cages get pooped on? I have often wondered what happens to flock birds that roost in trees.